Tank - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tank Reviews

April 13, 2015
Garner really has to carry the water for this generic melodrama but I'll be damned if I wasn't rooting for him all the way.
September 11, 2013
As in most movies in the 80's its slow to get started bit o think it's worth the wait. Great ending.
December 7, 2006
Initially, what got me to watch this flick was the poster campaign along with its taglines.

"If you just want to hate, you can come up with all kinds of reasons."

Despite what impressions you might make from those images (probably similar to my own), this film is actually a good old-fashioned story about people in middle-America. While I don't want to spoil anything, I will say that the tank is not the climax of this story...
April 28, 2010
An absurd plot, but you find yourself rooting for James Garner and that tank, especially against that jackass sheriff. Are all southern sheriff's like this? Worth watching if you're pro-Army and like seeing an old-school soldier take it to a corrupt southern town (and blow the hell out of that town with a WWII Sherman.) A fun movie with a strong message of how far a father will go to protect his children, even though it's about as plausible as James Garner starring in Twilight opposite Kristen Stewart.
July 11, 2009
One of the great one-liners of all time. "You assholes better move it."

OK the movie is really not that good, one of those "authority suppressing the common man and woman" but they screwed with the wrong guy. In this case they messed with James Garner, Tank Commander.

So the big scene is....the whole town has been messing with James and his girl to the point where he cant take it no more. So of course he is able to get a hold of a tank and once he rolls that tank into town all hell breaks loose and he lets loose with..."You assholes better move it."

It is partly the climax but more importantly it is Garner's voice that makes the movie. To this day it makes me laugh.
August 2, 2008
This is the movie that earlier dreck Harry's War shoukld have been. James Garner plays a tank commander guy who gets back on a crooked town sherriff using his personal tank. Silly flick that never should once take itself seriously, and doesn't.
½ June 2, 2007
My dad always made me watch this movie with him. I guess because it's "more" than an action film...it's the touching, albeit violent, story about a man and his son. (sarcasm, in case you can't tell)
April 25, 2007
One of those 80s movies that fell through. This one is about a son whos father was a tank engineer during the war, and who also gets framed by the local law enforcement for possession of drugs. The hearing for the sons drug charges is in the next county, the only problem is the sheriff will stop at nothing to prevent the father and son from getting there... that is until the father brings in his privately owned Sherman Tank to get them there.
½ April 1, 2007
Not a bad film at all, a great film about justice and about what is right. James Garner is awesome as a former soldier who owns a tank and takes it apon himself to fight for justice and free his son from injustice. A cool 1984 movie.
April 15, 2008
This is a great flick. The cast is stellar and the plot is solid and enjoyable. A perfect popcorn movie to enjoy on a Saturday afternoon.
April 13, 2015
½ October 28, 2013
So-so comedy that succeeds to the extent that it does because of James Garner. Otherwise it feels like a TV movie.
September 11, 2013
May 13, 2013
Everyone wants to own a TANK of thier own.
July 17, 2012
Watched it as a kid and still think I want that to be my Dad or be that Dad.
July 13, 2012
I'd give it 5 stars but this whole situation is James Garners fault...but when he solves a problem IT IS AWESOME!!
½ June 23, 2012
Even James Garner could salvage this one, as Shirley Jones gave a mediocre performance and C.Thomas Howell's character portrayal was so poor (not that he had much to work with) it is no wonder he hasn't been heard from since. Plot was not only trite, it was stupid.
½ April 24, 2012
One of my favorites from my childhood days. Still a fun one to watch to this day.
December 23, 2011
Zack Carey (James Garner) is an army Sergeant Major who has been transferred to a base next to a small Georgia town to finish out his military career. Not one to go out quietly, Zack arrives in town with his prized World War II Sherman tank! Zack visits the local bar one night and ends up in a fight with a local deputy sheriff when the redneck cop bullies a young woman Zack has befriended. A corrupt senior sheriff gets his revenge by arresting Zack's teenage son (C. Thomas Howell ) on a phony drug charge and locking him away on a prison farm. Now it's time for Zack to haul out his prized tank and rescue his son!

also stars Shirley Jones, G.D. Spradlin, Jenilee Harrison, Dorian Harewood, Sandy Ward, Mark Herrier and J. Don Ferguson.

directed by Marvin J. Chomsky.
August 20, 2011
Great James Garner, cool Sherman.