Tcm Presents To Kill A Mockingbird Reviews

November 15, 2012
Interesting to see what is and is not "dated" about this movie. I'm sure it was beyond "daring" for a "mainstream" Hollywood film released in 1962. For an absolute certainty, Gregory Peck's performance as Atticus Finch is timeless, as is his appeal to law and equality in his summation to the jury. I found the idenitifcation of racism as, principally, a phenomenon of the "lower class" of Caucasians jarring and inaccurate. Atticus may have been a (fictional) exception, but both the perpetrators and beneficiaries of "White Supremacy" were just as likely, if not more so, to wear seersucker suits and ties rather than overalls and to do their work in courthouses, law offices and banks as in the fields.

One thing that particularly pleased me was that it was established at the VERY beginning of the movie that the Finch family was Methodist.:)
August 27, 2012
What a wonderful opportunity - Thanks TCM for allowing us to see these classic films the way they were meant to be seen - on the big screen. I have been to a couple of the events so far and the audience was packed! People of all ages were reacting to the terrific acting and writing on the screen. I hope that this will inspire a new generation of screen writers and actors to aspire to more than sophomoric slap stick and empty flicks. Perhaps having an example of a large picture on a large screen will do more to uplift the industry than seeing them on a TV.