Teen Wolf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teen Wolf Reviews

May 23, 2016
Teen Wolff takes a neat, fantastic concept, and dumbs it down into a party movie. The "responsibility" sub-plot isn't handled well, and the horror-aspect of being a werewolf is completely ignored for a few fun ideas in a basketball movie. Not to say Teen Wolf doesn't have its enjoyable moments, but the film barely took use with its concept, and what's left is a mediocre pubescent story.
May 17, 2016
strange and a bit stupid
April 26, 2016
Literally the best movie i have ever seen.
½ October 12, 2015
One of the best comedy films ever.
January 30, 2010
Probably one of the funniest comedies ever.
April 10, 2010
Don't know how I missed this one, but I gotta see it sometime.
½ August 20, 2015
Marty McFly is Chewbacca-Sasquatch hybrid.

'Nuff said!
½ January 22, 2016
A pretty good movie, but compared to the tv show I was disappointed.
January 1, 2016
What on earth did I just watch? Such an eighties style of filmmaking but with so many plot holes it's impossible yo get invested. The werewolf becoming the most popular person at school is okay to avoid but it grows incredibly tiresome as you soon discover the film has no real story. I treat this film has a cult film as it really has no real mainstream appeal. They recycle so much footage in that final game it's hilarious, the amount of points the beavers score compared to the scoreboard is just bad directing. I'm eager to watch just how bad Teen Wolf 2 is.
½ October 31, 2014
A train wreck of a movie. The writing is awful. The idea feels like it would be a better SNL skit than a movie. It's a somewhat fun film to watch with friends, but it is pretty low-grade and painfully bad. Even though it was only an hour and a half, it felt like it dragged on forever. It also felt like production had little to no budget on this.
November 2, 2015
Así como cuando intenta ver una película de los 80s 30 años después... y descubre que no es ni un poquito interesante
½ September 3, 2015
Michael J Fox is adorable, as usual, and that high school party looked fun, but otherwise this movie is DULL. Atrocious sound editing amongst other production errors. I suppose I may have liked it better if I had seen it in the 80's...
½ August 26, 2015
its been a while, but this one holds up. <3 MJF
½ March 31, 2015
Surprisingly good Michael J. Fox movie is ok for Tweens. Ages 12+
July 29, 2015
Very Good Movie Very Exciting Very Good Ending
July 18, 2015
Not bad, but not too funny or entertaining either. Performance of Michael J Fox keeps it going though. Watch the TV show instead.
½ May 22, 2015
Michael J. Fox is a teen who deals with everyday life.. Only he doesn't realize that a family secret will soon change his life. An awesome adventure full of great songs.
½ May 7, 2015
Cheesy, funny and brilliantly acted by Michael J Fox, Teen Wolf is an 80s guilty pleasure movie that rocks.
October 10, 2014
Dumb and stupid wolf movie. It's not scary or funny, it's just dumb. Michael j foxes worst movie ever. Terrible movie. Supposed to be a Halloween classic for the ages but its probably the worst Halloween movie ever!
½ August 27, 2007
In the same year that Fox became a superstar going back to the future he also had this little werewolf gem creep out. The title says its all really in its brilliant cheesy way, a typical 80's film title. Young teen Fox slowly discovers that he is in fact a werewolf and its been in the family for generations.

In all honesty this is your very standard cheeky 80's high school romp which was the staple diet of many classic comedians throughout the 70's and 80's. The twist in this of course is the supernatural element which is simply a play on the effects of puberty, swapping spots for claws. Its all here as you would expect, the sexy blonde everybody lusts after, the plain brunette our hero never notices, the party obsessed crazy ass best friend, the quiet sensible best friend, the bully, the fat kid, the token black guy (lemonade...awesome character name) and various amusing stereotypical teachers. The best easily being the carefree gum chewing basketball coach.

So if you put the predictable teen antics to one side what are the wolf antics like? Well its pretty darn sweet as a matter of fact, and what's more amazing is the makeup effects on show are really quite good. The little sequence of Fox turning into the wolf has clearly been influenced by 'An American Werewolf in London' and its a really well done moment. Its not scary or gruesome in any of course but it still does look quite realistic utilising simple effects and quick editing. His father in wolf mode doesn't look quite as good admittedly, more like a greying woodland animal with puffed up hair.

There isn't all that much wolf action so to speak, its mostly more silly high school antics but in wolf mode. Wolf mode gives our hero greater strength, better vision, brains etc...the guy becomes a super werewolf and aces everything in school whilst becoming a ladykiller (not literately). The main events of the film are based around the high school basketball games in which Fox's character usually sucks but naturally as a werewolf he's turned the game on its head. This film actually got me into basketball for a time, it introduced me to the game, because of this I bought NBA Jam.

The game segments are really good fun and as the film climaxes it does get a little emotional I can't deny. The game montage accompanied by Mark Safan's 'Win in the End' is glorious mainly down to that corking track. Funny how the underneath of Fox's arms didn't have any werewolf hair applied, always obvious when he raises his arms.

I think people can relate to this film in many ways, certain characters despite them being cliche, the problems of popularity, loneliness, bullying, sexuality etc...usual teen stuff. In all fairness this film doesn't really differ much from the vast array of fast food American high school flicks out there, the werewolf angle is only a different representation of teen angst. It shouldn't really be a good film but somehow it is, what you see isn't original and there aren't any dazzling special effects, its more a character/school based fantasy which is simply a good fun little ride. Attractive performances all round especially from Levine as Stiles and a wicked soundtrack make this a solid cult gem.