Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Reviews

September 3, 2014
Nothing that made the original films (minus the third) fun and enjoyable was retained in this new revision of the series. Missing is the goofball humor, cheesy but acceptably fun storylines, and worst of all: the camaraderie between the turtles. All of this is replaced with generic blockbuster action sequences and no hint of style. This is just CGI overload with bad dialogue and rote storytelling. Worst of all it is completely uninteresting and boring. I'm willing to accept changes if done well, but all of the changes in the new version didn't work and it felt like the soul of the series was completely missing throughout. Do not waste your time on this.
skactopus
½ February 28, 2015
Jonathan Liebesman dishes out the plain old cheese pizza in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Sliding in at a mere 90 minutes, it is a quick viewing. Aside from a mediocre 15 minute opening, the pace picks up and moves at a quick stride the rest of the way. The problem is that the back-story is poor, the characters aren't built up, and the plot details are too simple for its own good.

A ton of action explodes its way onto the screen. Highly stylized and heavy reliance on CG is both its shining moment and downfall. The CG allows for some adrenaline packed material, but at the same time, there isn't enough down-to-earth martial arts choreography.

The mixture of CG and real life characters don't work all that well. Megan Fox and Will Arnett have terrible characters and too much screen time in comparison to the real stars of the show, the 4 turtles. Thanks to the lack of time focused on the turtles, the voice-work takes getting used to; however, it is much better than watching any of the human characters.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has its ups and downs leaving a picture that just slides on by.
½ April 25, 2014
Aside from the occasional turtle-humor, this live-adaptation is mediocre at best. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turltes' disarray origins strays away die-hard fans and its obscure narrative leaves audiences befuddled, leaving room for much, much more room for improvement if it's to launch into a brand-new film franchise. 2.5/5
December 18, 2014
Well after much development and lots and lots of internet rumours flying around about this and that, we finally got the rebooted vision of our beloved Turtles. A movie that most dreaded for understandable reasons...reasons that mainly surrounded the turtles themselves and the plot. Most of these fears are unfortunately realised within reality pretty quickly I'm afraid to say. Within the first ten minutes we see a fight hidden in the shadows and where a turtle manages to hurl one of those gigantic metal shipping containers at the bad guys. Within the same first ten minutes we also see Shredders face unmasked and within the first twenty minutes or so April O'Neil get fired from her job as a reporter. The films just started and already we have two key Turtle elements out the window and apparently the turtles are mutants with super-duper strength.

So naturally the plot has been somewhat tinkered with when compared to previous incarnations of the Turtles and the original comicbook material. So naturally this means things don't make a lick of sense here in this movie. Here we discover that Splinter was not the pet of a Japanese man (nor was he a Japanese man mutated into a rat), instead he was rescued with the four turtles by a very young O'Neil from a medical research lab and released into the sewer. So this does tend to beg the question...why is Splinter Japanese? where did he get his Japanese attire from? why does he have his fur in a Japanese style and why does he speak like a wise old Japanese man? Are you telling me he got all this from the conveniently lost book of ninjutsu he found in the sewer? I could ask where on earth they get all their other stuff from such as their weapons but I guess you could throw that at the previous movies too.

'We're ninjas', 'we're mutants', 'technically we're turtles'...'and we're teenagers!'...Oh geez! got that covered then. Why would Mikey even say we're teenagers?

There are various plot issues throughout but frankly I can't be bothered to go through them all and also you can forgive to a degree because the Turtles have gone through many changes over various incarnations. But there are some things I must pick at like an annoying spot on your face. The turtles...geez where to begin! Well firstly their look...they look awful, like giant toxic avengers or Goomba's. They actually look quite unnerving, scary and creepy truth be told, and lets not forget this is suppose to be for the kids. The next major thing you notice is how fucking massive they are, have they been living on pizza topped with steroids?! did you notice how huge Raph is here!! its utterly ridiculous, they're so big I dunno how they all fit into their turtle van at the end.

Their size makes things very uneven in the film, they are so big that fighting Foot clan soldiers is like a walk in the park. They are throwing these bad guys around like rag dolls, tossing them all over the place which is probably resulting in their deaths (kids film?). At one point a Foot soldier gets thrown through a moving subway trains window as it passes through the station! errr...kids film anyone? What's more these Foot soldiers all carry automatic weapons! so technically they should be able to mow the turtles down easily...oh no wait, the turtles are bulletproof in this incarnation, silly me. Yep these turtles are pretty much invincible in this movie, bullets bounce off their shells, they can knock bullets and projectiles out of the air with their hand weapons, they are giants with superhero muscles, they are able to withstand heavy impacts into large vehicles like Hummers whilst actually destroying that vehicle in the process, in fact any major fall or impact does nothing to them and basically they look like space monsters and talk like eerie stalker type weirdos. 'Do NOT say a word about this to anyone. If you do, we will find you, April O'Neil'...errr K!

As for old Splinter well I've already asked a few questions about him, but my next problem was how he looked...he looked ugly!! When I say ugly I mean horrible! scary, creepy, like something not made for kids. What the hell with his eyes man! I realise they're trying for a realistic approach but my God he looked evil with those eyes. The other thing was his whip-like tail, where did that come from?? since when could a rats tail do that?? OK I realise how that sounds but come on...Splinter doesn't do that, he doesn't take baddies down with a tentacle-like tail.

This leads me to the final main character in Shredder, they just don't learn to they. The general appearance of Shredder is fine, he wears the samurai armour, his helmet is pretty near the mark, his voice is deep and gravelly and from a distance he actually looks cool. Its only on closer inspection (and in the light) we see how far they have taken it and how badly they have fucked it up. Firstly he looks like The Silver Samurai and is errmm...too silver and shiny, secondly his armour is way way too thick, bulky and elaborate and lastly (and most obviously) there are way way too many blades going on here. This is a case of the Predator wrist blades from 'AvP' but then add on about...I dunno...six or more all sticking out all over the place. His arms look like a flippin' penknife, all that's missing is the corkscrew. But to add salt into the wound Shredder now fires lots of smaller blades from his wrists too, a seemingly endless supply of them, oh and they all appear to be homing knives too because he can summon them back to his wrists, handy.

'I want you to drain every ounce of their blood, even if it kills them'...Errr wut? of course that will kill them.

In all honesty when the movie is set at night and in and around the sewers its not too bad, squint hard enough and you could almost make out a Turtles movie in here. Alas it doesn't last long before it goes absolutely berserk again. I mean of course the idiotic mountain sequence complete with a huge arctic, hummers, turtles tobogganing down the snowy mountain, bouncing between the crashing vehicles fighting Foot soldiers whilst being completely impervious too injury and all rendered in glorious CGI with greenscreens for your viewing pleasure. Seriously no injuries whatsoever after that turn of events, seriously. What's really dumb is how big is that flippin' mountain?! The sequence is about I dunno...six minutes, and its all sliding down this infinite mountain slope, plus there's a whopping big cliff at the end of it! Where was this mountain??!!

I won't have a go at everything here, believe it or not some of it was OK...errmm...well the CGI was nice of course, the turtles did look realistic can't dent that. The fights were well created and looked fast and furious which was cool, nice to see Splinter actually kick some ass for once. The turtles sewer home was also nicely crafted and looked recognisable to previous versions but with some decent touch ups in pop culture and technology. Typically though the bad outweighs the good tenfold, I'm not even completely sure who this movie is aimed at because I don't think Liebesman and co could make their minds up. Can someone please explain to me how the four turtles and O'Neil survive that last fall from the top of that skyscraper.
FiLmCrAzY
½ October 25, 2014
I had low expectations for this movie, it turned out not to be as bad as I first thought. An average and clichà (C)d action flick that may leave you quaking in your shell or wishing you were still hibernating!
October 5, 2014
I went in with low expectations and was still stunned by how bad the film was. It's not particularly entertaining on any level and all the characters have no soul.

Fox doesn't exactly make a good April, all the turtles were goofy one-liners, none of the cast had any legitimate weight for the audience to relate or attach themselves to.

The story? I don't even get it. I don't get why they would let such a TERRIBLE plot pass through the final draft.

All in all, a very missed opportunity. Even the 90's live action films were better than this rubbish. The only thing this movie was able to emulate successfully was the comedic banter between the brothers.
April 12, 2014
An insanely enjoyable and off the wall good-time at the movies. A terrific re-boot to a classic series that I and many others grew up with and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Producer, Michael Bay and Director, Jonathan Liebesman have delivered an explosive, hilarious and tremendously exciting guilty pleasure that you can watch again and again. This movie packs plenty of over the top martial arts action, spectacular special effects, outrageous humor and a lot of heart. The Turtles are done extremely well, they have great chemistry together and capture the real heart and essence of the Turtles and their brotherhood. William Fichtner is excellent. Megan Fox is surprisingly good in the film and really goes for it in this film. A non-stop action-packed joy-ride that's just awesome. A roller-coaster ride you don't want to get off of. One of the summers best and most enjoyable movies. A sensational adventure.
August 16, 2014
Though all its glory comes from the effects work from behind a computer, the Michael Bay-esque Ninja Turtles are still a lot of fun. With exciting action sequences and great turtle banter, fans of the franchise should able to enjoy the film, as long as they go in with an open mind. Only then is the changed origin story and weak performances admissible. For those NOT familiar with the franchise, beware.
August 22, 2014
Here's an updated take on the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". The rubber suits are out, and the CGI is in. Basically there isn't much to the movie, the turtles meet April O Neill and then battle Shredder to save New York. They joke around and love their pizza. This was surprisingly better than I anicipated it to be, however, I was hoping for a lot more humor. After seeing something like "Guardians of the Galaxy", it's eye opening as to how funny this could, and should have been. It does have some laughs, but it' too few and far between. For a turtles movie it is too dark at times. The action is phenomenal and the effects are top notch. Overall, it's good and probably the best of all the Turtle movies. Excited to see where the franchise goes from here, just hopefully it gets funnier.
ajaymuthecooldevils
August 20, 2014
Even though a lot of audiences like this movie, I'm just not in the mood for praising it since Bay is getting addicted with advertising in the middle of the movie and for me its getting worse since Transformers 4.. Megan Fox as April so lovely but she really can't be look ugly isn't she?
MANUGINO
February 23, 2014
The leader. The brains. The attitude. And Mikey.

Good Fun Movie! The new turtles movie is not the disaster that it had the potential to be. Having Bay as the producer instead of the director was a better decision for this reviewer, because it put the explosions to a minimum and the action I expected to the max. Stable camera-work and animation keeps you in line with the action, allowing you to actually keep track of what is going on. While there is indeed a major divergence in the classic story and humor, it is still a fun adventure. Again I love action movies, but I think many will find this movie a fun flick to watch. Would I bring kids? It is true that there is a PG-13 rating due to the violence and terrorism themes, but I think most will be able to handle it, just exercise some caution. Was it worth a trip to the movie? For action lovers and non-purist TMNT fans, I think it is worth a trip. As for the casual fans, I think this one can wait for home, because it doesn't have all of the aspects that most audiences seem to enjoy.

Darkness has settled over ×New York City as Shredder and his evil ×Foot Clan have an iron grip on everything from the police to the politicians. The future is grim until four unlikely outcast brothers rise from the sewers and discover their destiny as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The Turtles must work with fearless reporter April O'Neil and her cameraman ×Vern Fenwick to save the city and unravel Shredder's diabolical plan.
TheDudeLebowski65
August 11, 2014
When I was a kid, I was a Ninja Turtles freak; I mean I was obsessed with it. I completely forgot about what most of a back-story is, as I feel that some childhood memories should not to be played with and that's where the classic 80's cartoon comes into play. This interpretations is mediocre at best with some good effects, and a common complaint here is that Michael Bay again messed with our "beloved childhoods" for those who are actually old enough to remember the cartoons, comics, toys and whatever awesome merchandise came with it, I believe they should just not take it too much to heart. Now, on to this film, first, the film is a mediocre affair and it doesn't do anything to really make it standout. First the great, the effects, the way the turtles look are wonderful. Some scenes are very good, the action is kind of cool, but in grand scheme of things, the film feels tiresome, empty as if they're trying to recapture the magic that cartoon and old films had. Unfortunately, it never becomes anything memorable, because the story I felt was too thin, and though it had an interesting twist on the Turtles, it never becomes anything really entertaining due to a lack of wonderful storytelling due to a lacking script. However director Jonathan Liebesman, who has a so-so career, and though I feel his best works are Battle: Los Angeles (I know, but the sheer idea of marines fighting a war with aliens, is really cool, for me anyways) and Wrath of the Titans. He's proven hew's able to craft effective action, yet I will admit, his lack wondrous storytelling, and rely on popcorn action to really grab your attention. With that being said, the action here is good, but with every other film in Liebesman's filmography, he crafted a popcorn film that can make a huge impact in the genre. Sure, the films I enjoyed that I mentioned earlier here were fun, but they won't be classics anytime. I would say that TMNT is Liebesman's most disappointing feature, and this one could have been something unique and really great if more attention to developing a great screenplay and picking a few different actors for various parts would have been undertaken. The most diehard fans will be disappointed, and I wanted like it, but I felt it lacked something to make it really fun, memorable and ultimately wonderful action filmmaking. Oh well, Liebesman has at least fun little films underneath his belt, and that's something.
½ February 6, 2014
I found this one to be formulaic and a wasted opportunity overall, though they have assembled some great parts for future sequels. The turtles looked pretty great and they all were voice-casted pretty spot-on except for Leo (Johnny Knoxville's voice just doesn't fit). They also are pretty excellent performances from the actors themselves, and they nailed the turtles personality-wise. From a story perspective, the plot isn't very exciting and is very basic. I hope they take a few more risks with the just-announced sequel...risks named Bebop and Rocksteady. And could someone at Marvel teach these guys how to do a post-credits tease (well, anyone but James Gunn)?
½ August 7, 2014
Remember those dreaded sequels to "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"? Well I am very sad to admit that this remake is almost worse than that. With almost no devotion to any characters throughout this film, and focussing more on the humans than the turtles, there is really not much to latch onto or care about here. Megan Fox is horribly casted as April O'Neil and almost every line of dialogue she delivers made me chuckle, not only due to the terrible acting, but due to the fact that it has one of the worst screenplays of the year. This version of the Ninja Turtles is so laughably bad that I had a blast watching it in the theatre. Everyone in this film is typecast because of their looks and the plot steals from every blockbuster out there (namely The Amazing Spider-Man). I felt like I was watching a film that a ten year old kid made who loves special effects. In the end, the turtles are fine in the scenes where they are solo, one of the action scenes is pretty fun, but the script, directing, and acting are so atrocious that it almost insults the intelligence of the previous films. Think about that for a second. "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)" is one of the worst films of 2014. Stay away, curiosity will do you no good here.
½ August 16, 2014
Another needless reboot, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is rather unremarkable and generic. And while the original films may be a little quaint and passe, they also had a bit of magic and earnestness to them. This new version has better acting and better special effects, but that's all. The plot is ludicrously stupid, even for a kids' film, and the music is horrendous (especially the theme song). Still, the action sequences are dynamic and exciting, and bring a lot of energy to the film. Despite its lack of ambition, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles still entertains and is able to deliver a few good laughs.
July 16, 2014
Not bad
½ January 1, 2015
This may not have been the worst film of 2014, but it was the one that gave me "crap-movie-fatigue" and forced me to go back to watching old things I know I'll actually enjoy. Also it may have been the worst film of 2014.