Movies Like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - The Secret of the Ooze

44% Working the Engels: Season 1

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - The Secret of the Ooze Reviews

muffin0681
May 16, 2013
The turtles find out where the ooze, the substance which made them mutate, came from. Unfortunately Shredder (Francois Chau) learns about it too, and uses it to enhance himself and also to create two new mutants. So the turtles have to prove again who's the better ninja fighter.

also stars Paige Turco, David Warner, Ernie Reyes Jr., Michelan Sisti, Kenn Troum, Leif Tilden, Mark Caso, Kevin Clash, Corey Feldman and Vanilla Ice.

directed by Michael Pressman.
October 9, 2013
The first is still the best
Dann M

October 8, 2013
"Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go!" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze is an incredibly silly and stupid film. Aiming to be more kid friendly, the series loses its dark undertones and mutes most of the violence. Additionally, most of the roles have been recast with lesser actors. Some of the goofiness is fun, but it's overdone and is too cartoonish. Dumbed down and commercialized, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze is unwatchable garbage.
September 22, 2013
A worth-while sequel.
September 13, 2013
Not a good movie by any stretch, but a fun movie nonetheless. The effects are still top notch, and the dated and childish tone make it awkwardly funny.
August 30, 2013
BABIES! THEY'RE BABIES!! RRWWARRRGGHHH! How's that for juvenile dialogue?
August 15, 2013
Obviously an attempt to make the franchise more kid-friendly, this sequel unfortunately dwells too far into its goofy side to hold the ground the first installment had.
September 30, 2011
More cheesy than the original.
November 3, 2012
No where near as good as the first one, but still ok. Basically the live action version of the cartoon.
March 19, 2013
This is the same worthless garbage as the first film.
July 21, 2012
Not as bad of a sequel as the retched third film. The plot is okay, but when all is said and done it's still a bad sequel to a bad movie.
Phil H

July 21, 2013
I haven't seen this film in eons and good golly its dated heavily, there is some serious nostalgia here folks. Straight away in the opening credits I knew I was gonna like this, the small sequence montage in New York is simple but brings back many memories of the era...boom boxes!.

From there we see a very young Ernie Reyes, Jr. sporting a stylish mullet and delivering pizza to an address. When he gets there he discovers its being robbed by a large group of masked men and decides to take a few of them on. First impressions...holy Air Nikes Batman! this kid got game!! he kicks ass and then some!. But more thugs arrive, its at that point the turtles stroll in behind Reyes (just out of focus), leap over his head, the image freezes and the classic Turtles logo/film title appears emblazoned across the screen in bright bold colours. It looks fantastic and is a glorious little moment to get you hyped.

What I like about this silly film is the fact it follows on from the original perfectly. It starts from where the last film left off, the 'Foot Clan' are reforming, 'Shredder' has reemerged from his apparent death, the turtles are hiding out at 'April's' and everybody is talking about the events of the last film. So it feels very comfortable for the viewer, as if it were the next day in the adventure.

Most of the cast have returned which is also a big plus, only April has been recast and 'Casey Jones' doesn't turn up at all which is a shame (no mention of him either which is the only continuity issue). The turtles themselves are pretty much the same, only Corey Feldman didn't return to voice 'Donatello' but the other voice actors remain. Visually the costumes are again the same but with small touch ups that enhance their appearance. The animatronic heads are much sharper this time around, the lips sync nicely with the dialog and the actors inside seem to have much more range in movement (amazed they can do backflips so easily!).

The bad guys are awesome in this film, you gotta love 'Shredder', the guy just looks so damn cool in that outfit. I like that they haven't changed it either, if it ain't broke don't fix it, and it looks awesome. We don't really see 'Shredhead' do much this time but his presence is always felt, the dude only needs to look cool, that's all that's required. The Super Shredder sequence? videogame much?? its so totally in tune with the videogame aspect its untrue, utterly preposterous sure but visually so damn cool. I love how they hyped up his armour for that, even though it doesn't make any sense, why would his armour mutate? surely it would simply get destroyed as he grew bigger like the 'Hulk'. Meh it looks super awesome so who cares.

The only let down for me (and everybody else at the time as far as I'm aware) was the lack of 'Bebop' and 'Rocksteady'. When Shredder gets hold of the ooze and turns two unknown creatures into monsters everybody was ready for Bebop and Rocksteady, who else could it be??. I remember my heart sank when they turned out to be these fresh newly created creatures. Despite the disappointment you can't deny they look terrific, a bit 'Godzilla-ish' in concept for one perhaps, and the other just seems like a big werewolf (possible idea rip from videogame 'Rampage' which was popular in the late 80's).

The animatronic puppet work and bodysuits in this film are truly fabulous it must be said. Sure they all look rubbery and clumsy but its the craftsmanship involved that impresses, the detail, the facial movements, the time and effort put it. This is why films like this far outweigh many modern kids flicks because they are real, plus its all Jim Henson's Creature Shop work so that explains the high levels of quality.

The first film was very enjoyable and to be honest I expected this to be a poor follow up. I'm still amazed today that this film is actually fudging tops!. It looks like a videogame in every scene but to a degree that's kinda what you expect really so no problem. Its a much lighter affair than the first film yet manages to show much better fight sequences (with less weaponry) probably down to the fact the costumes are better this time around.

So yes its aimed more at kids this time with more slapstick and tomfoolery but its better in visuals, effects and characters if you ask me. A few downers aside like the hideous Vanilla Ice sequence and lack of Bebop and Rocksteady, this film delivers on pretty much every level offering some great comic book/videogame goodness that actually works! I just can't help but like it.
September 13, 2011
My fourth favorite movie of all time.
June 29, 2013
I can't figure out for the life of me why this movie gets bad reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm 33 years old, and this movie was one of the highlights of my childhood. And at this moment, i'm showing it to my fiancee's children and they LOVE it. It amazes me how well this one has stood the test of time.
JTurner82
June 28, 2013
While the original TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES movie can hardly be considered an example of great filmmaking, at least it was done with credibility and buoyed strongly by Jim Henson's Creature Shop's magnificent turtles. This sequel (which annoyingly replaces several cast members -- April O'Neil is played by someone else, for instance, and Corey Feldman no longer voices Donatello) is much less dark than the first movie and more in line with the considerably lighthearted TV series. Unfortunately, like most sequels, it's also inferior to the original. Heavier on humor and less on substance and family virtues, this sequel at least is better than the time-traveling "three-quel" that followed shortly after. There are also some missed opportunities: a climactic showdown with (spoiler alert) a beefed-up "Super Shredder" starts with promise but ends rather anti-climactically. David Warner does what he can as a nerdy scientist who helps the turtles, but one feels that he was dragged into this picture just for a paycheck. Finally, the Vanilla Ice dance sequence is both mind-numbing (and interrupts a great action scene). Only Turtles fans will get a "kick" out of this. But everyone else, stick with the first movie.
Andy G
June 23, 2013
Splinter's subdued role in this installation ultimately means less reflection, less growth and more violence. The turtles' no-consequence style of fighting doesn't allow for any of their wit to show, so personality takes a backseat. And voice actor changes complicate matters.
June 10, 2007
The best way to regard 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II' is to use the analogy of pizza: it can be extremely cheesy; and it can often be a guilty pleasure. But it's always good for fun with friends. As Splinter says, 'Pizza's okay.' And for the most part, so is this. Despite a lighter tone applied to the movie, this is an okay film.
June 9, 2013
While much lighter than the original film, TMNT II: The Secret of the Ooze is a ton of fun, and the animatronic creature effects still amaze.
KJ P

October 3, 2010
The sequel to the cult children's film "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" definitely loses the flare that made the first film so enjoyable, but the puns and choreography is more clever and dumb than ever, making this still a fun film to watch, even though you know you are viewing a pretty bad movie. Again, I respect anyone who bashes this trilogy, because I will have nothing to back it up, but the Turtles are just so loveable that you can't deny it's slight charm it has over you. The direction is fine, the acting is still hilarious, and the plot is even more preposterous this time around and the return of the main villain is never explained. I had a lot of fun watching this film, but I have no trouble admitting it is pretty lame. "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Secret of the Ooze" is not terrible, but if I return to the series, it will be to the original!
May 28, 2013
Not bad, a bit lesser than the first, but good enough, i guess.