Tekon Kinkurīto Reviews

July 15, 2010
This is the sort of movie that I would normally love, but the story is not there. The animation, is of course, fantastic, beautiful, and original. I may be unfair to this movie though, as I couldn't get past 70 minutes in. The plot was just plain blah and I didn't have that instant interest in Black and White, whereas the best scifi animes of this sort are only good if you care about the characters, otherwise it's just a pretty pictures romp, and that's all I saw here. Granted, many people think I overpraise Metropolis (2001) and underpraise the first Ghost in the Shell, so I'm not a good barometer, as when it gets to my fave genres, that's where I'm the most picky, and I couldn't pick out anything about this movie that made me *love* it or even want to watch it again.
September 1, 2011
It's not just that the animation is superb, this movie has a lovely blending of nostalgia and futurism, permeated throughout by the surreal. The story is subtly complex and multipart and the characters are three-dimensional, with many of them sympathetic in different ways, like a multifaceted reflection of humanity.
½ April 4, 2011
The movie began promising, but the cool art and animation style did not match the story at all - it felt like there wasn't even a plot. There is some beautiful symbolism and the direction in general is very artsy, but it seems to take over the movie by the end instead of just letting the story play out. After finishing, I was slightly confused, bored, and very disappointed.
November 7, 2010
I have to say that it was a disappointment. The story is very dragging and boring. I expected more since the animation is so wonderful, beautiful, and just charmingly awesome.
October 23, 2010
It's an interesting Anime; it's gritty, but very heartfelt, a great story about two young kids that are brothers in the dangerous environment that is in a crime ridden metropolis. If you are a Anime fan or just a open minded movie goer, then go ahead and check this out.
September 19, 2010
The art work was very good plus the mix of cgi into the animation was flawless. I loved the story, and the relationships between the characters were very interesting.
½ July 15, 2010
Two orphans try to uphold the peace in their beloved home town, Treasure Town, as yakuza encroach.

I Netflixed this movie solely because it was created by the same guys that did Animatrix.

With in the first several minutes, I wanted to buy the DVD. The animation was beautiful. The characters were playful.

But then the storyline got really heavy and it did that thing that so many anime do. It got all convoluted and weird.

The movie is really long, just under two hours. It was adapted from a manga, and you can totally see how the story is perforated into episodes or issues.

Overall, I liked it. But I changed my mind on buying it.
½ July 15, 2010
Hyperknetic animation helps along a sometimes too sprawling narrative of homeless street kids White and Black who leap from building to building in the neon streets of Treasure Town.

Treasure Town looks like an abandoned psychedelic amusement park that's been over run with urban sprawl (which is pretty much the center theme of the film, the lose of balance, lose of innocence, illustrated through the symbolically named White and Black). Actually almost all of the characters have names reflecting some kind of duality, "Choco" and "Vanilla", "Dusk" and "Dawn" etc.

Black is the muscle, somber and always ready to fight to defend "his town" While White is the more innocent, slightly brain damaged younger of the two who can't dress himself but can leap from the backs of moving cars, like la parkour runners bitten by radioactive spiders. "Chinese Monkeys can ride clouds" White states at the beginning of the film, referencing certain aspects of China's mythic "Journey To The West", before they begin their matrix leaps/gliding across the city. The first ten minutes of which, are the best moments in the movie(and no it is never explained how they can fly, leap, fight as they do, so much so it's easy to forget how vulnerable as children they are, which is used to get effect).

The trouble comes when there's too many Yakuza characters given too much back story, too much over inflated psychodrama with Black attempting to rid himself of his solitary monster like Minetaur persona (this time a Greek myth of the bull monster locked in the labyrinth), and not enough explanation of who the mysterious villain was, who were his henchmen refereed to as both "killing machines" and "aliens" more than once, and what if any connection did he have to re-developing the town, killing the kids, his mission from God, and the mysterious organization who lent him the monsters? That being said, I was emotionally absorbed into the film enough by that point, and satisfied with the unique fluidity and vividness of the color palettes, to ignore the weaker points of plot, til the movie was over. Enjoyable and unique anime, but like so many it reaches for seriousness, when whimsy would be a better fit.
July 15, 2010
Check this one now! It is a story about two brothers that live in Treasure town, they are protectors of the town, and know how to jump way ass high! This is an excellent story, if you like the art style [they put a whole lot of work into it!] you should have no problem popping in some popcorn and kickin' back with a friend or maybe someone closer and taking a few hours to explore Treasure Town!
July 15, 2010
Treasure Town is an amazing sight to behold. Expertely crafted and stylized, you start to have a sort of connection to it. Unfortunately the movie shifts gears around halfway thru and the town's welfare is thrown to the wayside in favor of Black's battle with himself. It's sad as the movie started off with such an interesting premise. That's not saying the second half isn't well done or enjoyable to watch. It's just that I wished it had continued with what it had established. Either way it's a movie well worth seeing.
July 15, 2010
A solid if not always satisfying anime. VERY cool stuff in the design and some lovable characters. The issue is more that the story doesn't tell you enough and the third act is not wrapped up real well. But it's worth seeing for anime fans and people who dig cool artwerkz. :>
½ July 15, 2010
This move is ten types of cool... but I will not sit here and list reasons. You should watch it... if you like anime, there's something you will like about it.
½ July 15, 2010
Simply stunning animation, as bright and vivid as it is dark. It's two kids, Black and White, versus the Yakuza over control of Treasure Town and it is nothing short of amazing. So awesome..
July 15, 2010
Its odd to see America struggle to keep hand drawn animation alive while Japan is still pushing it to its limits. Beautifully melds 3D animated backgrounds with extremely limited animation, every drawing bears weight in ways a still picture can't show you alongside many documentary style camera angles. The actual overarching plot takes the audience a little too much for granted and its pretty easy to get lost in the plot and just follow the beautiful artwork.
½ January 17, 2009
This is a unique experience in itself; it's hard for me to explain how I feel about this movie... There is a lot of detail in the background and 3D animation, which is overwhelming half the time. The plot goes off into different tangents throughout the story and leaves you wondering what will happen next. It's not a "grab you by the balls" kind of movie, but it is fairly hard to walk away from.
½ June 19, 2009
A little strange to me at first. Lots of violence. Maybe I need to see it a second time to make more sense of it...
½ January 23, 2009
The animation has a beautiful digital sleekness and a solid enough story. It draws you in visually, and there is a familiarity in the vocal work (especially the english dubs) that keeps you interested. Tekkon Kinkreet is one of the best Anime films I've seen. I loved it. I was surprised it was directed by a white guy. :P
June 23, 2008
Fantastic animation. A bit more brutality than I was expecting, but that's never really a bad thing now is it?
November 26, 2007
..................................................................................................................................................holy shit .................................................................................................................