Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny Reviews

Samuel Riley
July 4, 2012
Since I am a Tenacious D fan, I would give it high marks. However, I will try to be as unbiased as possible. The film does feature lots of 'laugh out loud' moments, however, most of the jokes are sex related. The use of cameos was a highlight for this film, examples being Tim Robbins and Ben Stiller. Ultimately, the best feature of this film is the soundtrack, songs like 'Master Exploder' and 'Beelzeboss' are superb for any Tenacious D fans.

This film is essential for D fans. Its worth a try for metal music lovers. However, if you don't fit in these catagories, its should be given at least a chance.
blkbomb
April 19, 2011
JB: Now our masterpiece will never happen because we won't be fueled by Satan!

"The greatest motion picture of all time."

As a lover of Tenacious D and Rock period, this movie is heaven. It's filled from start to finish with awesome references and songs. JB and KG are actually good musicians, so everything in the movie, song wise, works perfectly. Their songs are catchy(I should know as I can now say I know every song in this movie by heart, after my latest viewing), and their guitar playing is good. Then there's amazing cameos from Meatloaf as JB's father. From Dio as a poster of JB's room. From Ben Stiller, as a guitar salesman who knows about the Pick of Destiny. From Tim Robbins, as the Stranger. And from Dave Grohl as none other than Satan. And last but not least from John C. Reilly as Sasquatch. *Fun Fact: John C. Reilly also got a credit as Sasquatch Researcher. I shit you not. Then there's a scene that spoofs A Clockwork Orange. The movie has everything.

We see Tenacious D form and then try to find the Pick of Destiny, which will magically turn them into the best band in the world. In between there's a little adventure to find the pick that feels slightly like the one from Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. There's a mushroom trip, there's Sasquatch, there's Satan, there's an open mic contest. The movie is just jam packed from start to finish. It's all a very fun ride.

Now I can see this being an easy movie to hate. Its comedy isn't for everyone and its music won't be either. If you're a Tenacious D fan then you're golden, but otherwise it's probably a coin flip. I'll admit that I've never seen this movie sober. It's one that you smoke some weed with your friends and say "Shit, we haven't watched The D lately." It's a funny and amusingly ridiculous film from the greatest band ever, Tenacious D. Those are their words not mine.
garyX
½ March 1, 2007
Two metal obsessed losers move to Hollywood and plan find fame and fortune by stealing a guitar pick fashioned from one of Satan's teeth. Tenacious D in: The Pick Of Destiny is Jack Black doing Jack Black. Again. If you've seen School Of Rock, High Fidelity or hell, anything else he's ever been in you know what you're going to get. And I for one think his one note routine is getting a little old. The Pick Of Destiny does have its moments but it's never more than mildly amusing and this metal inspired stoner material has already been covered by Spinal Tap, both Bill And Ted's movies, Wayne's World and even The Blues Brothers. And they all did it better. Those who never before realised that the word "rock" rhymes with "cock" may find it hilarious but anyone over the age of 15 will be left largely unimpressed.
Directors Cat
½ February 17, 2012
First i'll admit i'm a fan of the band Tenacious D and expected the same humour used in their songs. I got that. What more does a fan of one of the most awesomest rock bands ever need than their comedy and rockin tunes extended to the length of a movie? Nothing. The unfaithful however will find it boring and/or disgusting, but you do get Jack Black at his most un restrained. It isn't This is Spinal Tap but it's what it wants to be. A movie created for fans of Tenacious D.
TheDudeLebowski65
November 21, 2011
A mediocre comedy that I expected so much, as the trailers for this film seemed to make this one quite hilarious. Unfortunately, it was mildly funny, and the end result was a film that didn't quite deliver the goods. Considering that I don't like Jack Black because of the fact he basically plays the same character in each movie, I didn't find him too annoying here. However The Pick of Destiny lacks substance to the material, and the comedy is fairly mild. I think it's a shame because this film had the potential of being a good comedy; instead the film is disappointing with only a few laughs here and there. One thing I enjoyed about the film was the cameo of Ronnie James Dio, and as a metalhead, I thought that was the high point of the film. However, not even that can save this film. The film a mediocre comedic effort and the most of the jokes are poorly delivered, and really aren't that funny. I think the film could have been good, unfortunately, Jack Black rides on only one joke, and he's got one routine, and doesn't know how to do anything else. Despite the film mediocrity, the film does have a few funny moments, nothing ever great, but good. Overall, The Pick of Destiny doesn't hold up all too well, and ends up being a disappointing, mediocre comedy that you'd expect so much more from this film. Overall as a comedy, The Pick of Destiny offers a few laughs, but it's not a laugh riot that you'd expect from Tenacious D. The film disappoints and leaves a lot to be desired.
jamers2011
½ January 31, 2011
Well, I watched this film expecting Amy Adams to have a decent role.....no, she's barely in the film at all. She's in one tiny scene. I was sad. But, Tenacious D turned out to be a funny ride.

It's so silly, but it mostly has the kind of quirkyness that creates a unique kind of humor like Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Napolean Dynamite. So this film really worked for me, I enjoyed it a million times more than I expected. At times it is stupid, but overall I was really entertained and amused. Not a film I'd recommend to everyone, but it's alright!

Jack Black is so great in this film!
Marc L.
May 4, 2011
This is probably one of the best comedies ever made. It doesn't really deliver in the heart factory, but if you are looking for a movie that will make you laugh till you cry, look no further than the gang of JB and KG.

The only negative I can really think of about this movie is it doesn't really have a message. It would have been better if it had a little heart.

What's the positive? EVERYTHING! This movie actually has surprisingly good songs. Newsflash people: Jack Black can sing. And sing he did. Not only were the songs funny, they were sung pretty well. Guy has more talent then half the people in the top 50 charts. Gass is a nice guitarist too.

The songs were hillarious. They curse a lot, but they do it in a matter that's actually quite intelligent. They don't just say the f word 500 times. They'll say it a few times at the right moment. It's a very very rare skill, that Jack Black has happened to master.

My favorite scene has got to be the final battle with Satan. It is easily the funniest scene in movie history.

Overrall, fantastic underrated comedy. Impossible to hate it.
3niR
½ June 8, 2010
This was a bit entertaining but the tattoo part was weird O_O
March 10, 2010
Obviously forgettable, but it is completely hilarious, they could not have picked a better cast for the job! Jack Black and Kyle Gass are fantastic!
CloudStrife84
½ April 8, 2007
You don't need to be a TD fan to enjoy this rollercoaster ride of musical fun. Although far from perfect, it's a great movie to watch with some friends on a boring weekend :-)
June 24, 2007
Fun but forgettable ode to the awesomeness that is the band Tenacious D, and the varied characters they come across in their quest for the sacred Pick of Destiny. Hilarious at times, stupid at others. Tim Robbins and Ben Stiller both have great, great cameos, though.
October 1, 2009
Not as funny as I?d expected. It?s ok but not great.
TomBowler
½ August 2, 2009
this is the film that jack black had to make, just to get it out of his system. the pick of destiny is an intensly jack black movie, showcasing his overpowering pipes as well as juvenile-esque humour.
FiLmCrAzY
½ September 9, 2007
Jack Black is amusing really and this film is quite entertaining its sort of silly humour and a silly storyline but thats what you expect from jack black and this film is watchable
November 23, 2006
Jack Black and Kyle Gass on their way to rock stardom in a comedic trip to find the pick involved with the recordings of the greatest bands of rock history. Sounds like a fun idea and turns out to be one as well, at least for the most parts. The beginning with young J.B. and his dad Meat Loaf and Dio singing from a poster is fantastic. After that some of the humor is way below the belt, but the fun ideas (the medieval looking chapter pictures, for example) outweigh the bad ones. The soundtrack rocks of course and the guest appearances by Ben Stiller, Tim Robbins and (unrecognizably) Dave Grohl as Satan are pretty amusing. But after all I somehow expected a little more after their hilarious comedy record. Shallow, but fun.
September 21, 2008
Mostly very stupid humour, which is to be expected, unfortunately it isn't very funny. A few laughs emerge when Jack Black isn't being so annoying. Robbins is the funniest thing in this film, especially his escape attempt from the police. The film also follows a very generic outline without ever parodying the genre. John C. Reilley is another great cameo as Sasquatch. The songs aren't too bad, but nowhere near as funny as Tenacious D think they are. Will most likely satisfy fans but when all is said and done this is just a few friends messing about, making a film for themselves, with a higher budget than your average Tom, Dick and Harry.
March 3, 2007
JB: A long ass fucking time ago, in a town called Kickapoo, there lived a humble family religious through and through. But yay, there was a black sheep, And he knew just what to do. His name was young JB and he refused to step in line. A vision he did see of fucking rocking all the time. He wrote a tasty jam and all the planets did align.

An epic prequel chronicling the begining of a saga. This is about Jables and Rage Kage forming one of the most important rock and roll bands of all time, and they are known as Tenacious D.

JB: Kyle's fingers be silver
KG: Jack's voice then be gold
JB: but lest you think we're vain
JB: we know you're all robots and we don't care. Tenacious D we reign!

A lot of good fun. This movie works along the same lines as a movie like Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. If you've seen The D's previous works: their TV show, listened to their CD, or seen them actually perform, then you will like the movie a lot more. Even without that, the movie can still be pretty funny. It's completely ridiculous and over-the-top, even if it does have some hit-or-miss moments.

JB: If you think it's time to fucking rock and fucking roll, out of control...

The story is basically a prequel to Tenacious D's rise to "fame." After forming the band, the duo go on a journey to try and find a legendary guitar pick, hoping to make them the greatest band ever.

Lee: [after the first show] That was amazing, you guys changed people's lives tonight.
KG: I know, it was so awesome dude.
JB: Yeah, it was awesome, compared to bullshit!

Jack Black is back in his R-rated profanity mode that can be hilarious, but he is at his funniest when he actually preforms his songs. Kyle Gass is also funny, not just a side kick, but his own half of the duo that is just as important.

Open Mic Host: We've got one spot left. you guys got any new material?
JB: What we got's gonna turn your brain into shit.

There are also plenty of cameos that work just as well, including Lucifer himself, as well as a number of familiar faces for D fans.

The Stranger: I'm going to slice out your eyes, and your balls. And then I am going to stick your eyes in your ball sacks. And then I will take your balls, and I will put them in your eyeholes!

The movie is a rock opera at heart, full of some good ole' fashion rock and roll with some good laughs.

JB: What do you want, 'Non-Rocker'? This line is reserved for 'Rockers Only', so I can't really talk to you right now!
November 8, 2006
The Pick of Destiny is a very powerful musical comedy. A movie with the typical kind of humor Jack Black use in his movie, with a little of farts and some sex jokes as well. The music is great all and each one of the songs are original and written by Tenacious D specially for the movie. Jack Black and Kyle Gass are hilarious together and the special appearance of Ben Stiller is great.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ July 28, 2008
I had a good time watching this one. Although this film doesn't size up in terms of storyline and/or plot development, the music made it all up for me. It was rockin. You can consider this a musical perhaps because of all the rockin and head-bangin taking place and I tell you, its one hell of a musical. The songs were supervised of course by Tenacious D and I guarantee you, if you're a fan of rock and roll, you will absolutely love this one. The songs gave me the LSS and that happens to me rarely.

Ben Stiller, Tim Robbins and David Grohl (of the Foo Fighters) made cameo appearances which was a delight. Tim Robbins as a bum with a bum leg was so hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing. The rockin duo of course were funny as hell. The comedic timing and the delivery of jokes were spot-on. Add to that the crackalackin' music of Jables and Rage Kage and you're in for a musical rockin extravaganza you've never experienced before.

3.5/5