18% Transcendence Apr 18

The 10th Victim (La Decima vittima) (The Tenth Victim) Reviews

rubystevens
rubystevens

November 20, 2008
sixties pop art sci/fi satire is loads of fun. most dangerous game predates reality tv by 30 years! with a wild score by piero piccioni
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

December 18, 2010
Not sure what category to put this one in I got it from a list of 1965 Italian Movies, but it is also on the fringe of Euro spy Movies. Some put it in the science Fiction Category because its supposed to be in the future, being back in 65, would make now the future. Anyway its about people who join a hunt club, you have 10 hunts and you hunt humans one time your the hunter next your the victim. Ursula Andress is the Hunter, and for a 1965 movie she is wearing some beautiful dresses. If you like Italian made films and slap stick you will enjoy this one 4 stars.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
I really loved this movie. Not only because it stars Marcello Marstoianni, but because it's a futuristic thriller with a bit of comedy. I highly recommend it.
Stefanie C

May 22, 2010
Delightfully campy and satirical!
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

May 29, 2008
Just watch it.
You can't go wrong really,

March 26, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=#ff0000]"The Tenth Victim" is set sometime in the near future. And it starts out with a sight that most native New Yorkers would find terribly uncommon - a gunfight happening on the streets of New York City. What is going on is a legalized hunt - if a person makes it to 10 - five as victim, five as hunter - then they are declared a decathlete and win a million dollars. This is done to pacify and control the population.(Not sanctioning violence or anything, but I think I'd prefer this to the solution proposed in "Equilibrium.") Caroline Meredith(Ursula Andress) is the hunter on the verge of getting her tenth kill; Marcello Polletti(a strangely blond Marcello Mastrioanni) is the victim. Oh and the victim does not know who the hunter is... [/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#ff0000][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#ff0000]One of the more ripped off movie plots, if not actually number one, is the plot from "The Most Dangerous Game" wherein a big game hunter gets bored with hunting animals and turns his attention to hunting people. What sets "The Tenth Victim" apart is its keen commentary on modern society, especially commercialism. To my surprise, the movie became an entertaining chapter in the continuing battle of the sexes.[/color][/font]
Marion R

May 11, 2007
Masochist club, legalized killings, sun cults, famous killers, Ursula Andress, great 60's music. This movie was right up my alley, everything I like is in this I was surprised of how much I enjoyed this film.
blacksnake2
January 25, 2008
The one where a pistol equipped bra on a Go-Go Dancer is used for an assasination. Great story variation on "The Most Dangerous Game", but lacking in "execution" (sorry couldnt resist the pun) Italian 60's filmaking excess are on display here and the "modern" look appears dated (Doesnt hold up like art deco has), but Beautiful Bond Girl and Ex-wife of John Derek Ursula Andress is at least pleasing to the eye...but as a cult classic for art students, what da' heck, go microwave some popcorn and throw it in your PC's DVD player...
June 23, 2013
Sometimes looks like Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451": the hunting, the meaning of relationship, the elders role, the standardization. But it's basically a good sci-fi action movie.
January 19, 2013
It's hard to really say an official opinion on "La Decima Vittima"; on one hand, it doesn't work very well, with dated fashions and a genre that seems undefined, yet on the other, it feels like a sci-fi film years ahead of its time, and honestly, thought-provoking. Though it may not be anyone involved best film, there's something artistic and intriguing about "La Decima Vittima" that makes it all but impossible to ignore.
In the near future, a television show, entitled "The Big Hunt", picks a random "victim" and "hunter" from a computer to trot around the globe-- if the victim remains alive for ten games, he can then retire and win one-million dollars, something important in a society that doesn't make much money. The new participants, Caroline Meredith (Ursula Andress), a long-time hunter, and Marcello Polletti (Marcello Mastroianni), a hunter turned victim, are the one's at stake. Since the game goes without the victim knowing exactly who the hunter is, at first Marcello is suspicious of Caroline: and eventually, it becomes almost too difficult to bear when the twosome begin to fall for each other.
Mastroianni reportedly was angry with the director, Elio Petri, for making the film lighter in tone to please the studio bosses. But in my opinion, any darker and "La Decima Vittima" wouldn't be as entertaining. Petri keeps his tongue firmly in cheek, making Mastroianni bleach is hair, and forcing his characters to wear utterly ridiculous costumes. And yet, the film never stoops low enough to mere camp.
The film works terrifically as a political satire: Petri does an excellent job of playing on the media's obsession with dramatic game shows, and makes us truly wonder if society would ever do something as evil as "The Big Hunt". The fact that the character of Caroline often stops running to advertise a tea that gets her even more money is brilliant, and way ahead of its time. It surprisingly has aged well, because it works as a Godard-ian piece of art and presents ideas that were just as unique in 1965.
"La Decima Vittima" isn't a perfect film, but it often is so smart that it remains fascination 50+ years later.
August 19, 2012
A film set in a future where people kill each other for sport and probably my favorite of this kind. Mastroianni and Andress give a wonderful performance and the scripts is pretty damn good (apart from the last inexplicable 5 minutes where it feels like the movie ends and then starts again for a weird and silly spin-off, you'll see), you'll be invested in the characters and will believe the story, and that's what you really need in a movie, right? add some quirky but well thought futuristic stuff (especially the differences between american and italian "future" societies) and you have a nearly perfect movie.
July 31, 2012
Director Elio Petri was insulted when asked if he was influenced by Fellini. "I'm way out in front of him." - was his answer. Well, I (will) give him props for probably inventing pop-euro-trash back in 1965 and Nino Rota's jumpy music helps. This is Hunger Games Italian Style, in Black and White, no budget, Marcello Mastriani and Ursella Andress looking cool - and plenty of mid-60's pop-art weirdness. What's not to love?
June 12, 2012
Sensational film if the future with humor, drama, action, surprises, great art effects. I loved it. I bought it. I saw it when it came out and watch it every now and then. Great surrealism.
February 24, 2012
Loved the idea & its futuristic thriller-set up for with swinging 60s flavor. But from the very beginning the ravishing Ursula Andress steals the show from everyone & everything!

March 26, 2005