McG Opens Up About Terminator 4, Starts One Very Intriguing Rumor

No Country for Old Robots?

There's been a lot of talk about Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins, but the sequel's much-maligned director, McG, has stayed above the fray. Until now, that is.

In an exclusive interview with The 213, McG opened up for the first time about his vision for the Terminator saga, how the fourth installment relates to the franchise's overall timeline, and just how Christian Bale fits into all this.

Oh, and then there's the matter of who he might want for the role of Salvation's Terminator. But more on that in a minute. First, let's allow McG to tell us where the new movie falls in terms of continuity. Asked if his movie takes place after Terminator 2 or Terminator 3, he says:

This is the space between; this is post Judgment Day. So there really is no continuation, you know what I mean? Its sort of a different animal, whereas the first two pictures on this thing are Terminators from the future, this picture takes place in 2019.

Having established that, The 213 wastes no time getting down to business, asking McG about rumors that John Connor isn't much of a factor in Terminator Salvation, and that Christian Bale's appearance will be essentially a cameo. Referring to this film's Connor as "a major player," the director goes on to lavish praise on Bale ("I think he's the most talented actor of his generation") before giving a very rough outline of the story:

"At its core, it's a cautionary tale about humanity sort of thumping its chest and believing 'look what we can do, we can build skyscrapers and control the tides and aren't we fantastic,' and all the while, we're destroying the planet and we immediately ensure destruction if our nukes ever got out of hand, so it's a bit of a cautionary tale."

McG then talks about the difficulty of following James Cameron in the series and...well, you probably just want to know who he describes as his "dream Terminator," don't you?

"It's very difficult to say, because it's a decidedly masculine role and I think we're living in a time where a lot of actors are very effeminate and they're sort of skinny, heroin chic and there's really a masculine component to the role. And there's guys out there like Russell Crowe and Eric Bana, who bring a good physicality, they do what they do, but I don't know if they're exactly right at the end of the day. (Smiles) Josh Brolin is a very exciting actor -- we'll see.

Bale and Brolin? If that happens, the naysayers might finally have to concede this round to McG. Source: The 213

Comments

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

There were three prior movies, not two. Has McG see the other films, or was his remark just taken out of context? We've already had judgment day in T3, I hope this won't be too much of a re-hash. And what about the initial terminators with rubbery looking skin (see explanation in T1), shouldn't these be used initially or are we just forgetting about that?

Continuity people, even if its the future, build on what has come before or faith the fan's wrath!

Feb 7 - 06:14 AM

BUCK69

JIM GRONEFELD

Continuity went out the window with the second movie...In the first, Reese explains that the humans had won, defeating skynet, but just before they did, skynet sent a terminator back in time to kill Sarah Conner. Reese was sent back to protect her and then the humans destroyed the time machine so nothing else could go through. How do these advanced terminators keep getting "upgraded" when skynet has been destroyed and how do they get sent back in time? Reese also states that nothing metal can be sent back unless its covered by living tissue. How does the T-1000, which is comprised solely of metal, go through the time portal???

Feb 7 - 10:03 AM

steeleye

m weber

Please note the comment that thios film apparently comes between T2 and T3; therefore, "two prior films".

Feb 12 - 06:42 AM

xenogears

J'rome Holmes II

One of the best things the first terminator (1) had going was that the terminator was a giant hulking mass of pure muscle with a face that looked like he never smiled. The second one had a liquid metal robot who shape shifted played by a guy who still to this day just looks evil. They gave you that feeling like even if they weren't killing machines you would still run away from thim. This movie needs the same. A person who looks so imposing and so intimidating that you feel the urge to run.

Feb 7 - 06:19 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

I really like Josh Brolin a lot. He sure doesn't make me think "Terminator", though.
I really dislike McG a lot. That's a bummer.
But who am I kidding? I'll probably watch it, especially if Bale's in it.

Feb 7 - 06:24 AM

BluMizu

Lady Capulet

"The second one had a liquid metal robot who shape shifted played by a guy who still to this day just looks evil."

That is SO true. I saw him on TV the other day and he freak me out. He wasn't even talking....

Feb 7 - 08:40 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

I really dislike McG a lot. That's a bummer.
But who am I kidding? I'll probably watch it, especially if Bale's in it.

Feb 7 - 06:24 AM

John Z. Delorean

John Street

Brolin as the terminator? Only if he's a more advanced intelligent, great acting terminator. How 'bout Brolin as John Connors, Tommy Lee Jones as Connors old confidante and Javier Bardem as The Terminator. They can call it "No Future for T-800's".

Feb 7 - 06:32 AM

JoeloftheJungle

Joel Adams

Haha best...idea...ever...

Feb 7 - 06:48 AM

JoeloftheJungle

Joel Adams

Haha best...idea...ever...

Feb 7 - 06:48 AM

Livingston86

Trevor Livingston

T3 isn't canon anymore, as far as I can tell. The TV series replaces it. Say what you will about the show (I like it), but it fits in better with the first two movies, considering one of the first lines in T3 was a continuity error.

(John says he was 13 in T2, when he was actually only 10.)

And Summer Glau is a way better girl-terminator than Painkiller Jane.

Feb 7 - 07:08 AM

Shotweb

Sid Ratliff

You aren't very smart

The first terminator started with a set path, no change possible

Second one is the one that changed the original story by making it possible to change the future.

I didn't like the 3rd movie, but I liked how the moved back to the inevitable.

Feb 7 - 07:18 AM

Livingston86

Trevor Livingston

Serves me right for thinking a message board could be used for something other than bashing people...

Feb 7 - 07:43 AM

dahluzz

joe shmo

"This is the space between; this is post Judgment Day. So there really is no continuation, you know what I mean?"

umm, no McG, i really haven't the foggiest. you were asked if it the film takes place after 2 or 3. the end of 3 IS judgement day (skynet goes apesh*t and starts firing missiles, that's what they postponed at the end of 2 by destroying all of the terminator components), so if T4 takes place in 2019 then it IS after number three, not 'the space between.'

a brief timeline, courtesy of dates provided by imdb:
(note: the dates indicate the year in which the story is set, not the film's release.)

Terminator 1: 1984, original cyborg sent to kill sarah connor. fails. human guy from 2029 who was sent to protect sarah gets her preggo with son, john.

Terminator 2: 1995, john's 11-ish and an upgraded terminator is sent to kill him. his future self sends a copy of the terminator originally sent to kill his mother to protect his past self. it works. sarah and john destroy both of these terminators as well as remnants of the original terminator sent to kill sarah from 1984, effectively haulting judgement day (which was supposed to occur in 1997).

terminator 3: 2015, an even more upgraded terminator is sent to kill john again. his future wife and co-resistance leader reprograms and sends back the old-school terminator that assassinated john in the year 2032 to save the 31-year-old version of john (in 2015). it works, but judgement day is unavoidable and SkyNet ultimately launches its missiles. john and future wife katherine brewster initiate the resistance.

Terminator 4: 2019, I would suspect that the war is well underway and so, too, is the resistance. I really don't understand how this ISN'T a continuation, McG. chronologically it lines up with the preceeding three stories.

if i'm missing something here, please let me know, as i tried to piece this together.

Feb 7 - 07:18 AM

Shotweb

Sid Ratliff

You aren't very smart

The first terminator started with a set path, no change possible

I didn't like the 3rd movie, but I liked how the moved back to the inevitable.

Feb 7 - 07:18 AM

Livingston86

Trevor Livingston

Feb 7 - 07:43 AM

Livingston86

Trevor Livingston

Feb 7 - 07:43 AM

Kollikodon

Ryan Ohlemeier

Yeah Im a big fan of the 1st two.. the 3rd one is ok in my book.. but idk...

Post Judgement Day is post T3.... so i guess not..

Idk.. I just hope they can keep the ball rolling on this film and hopefully everything can right itself out when they decide to make T5:Terminator in Space

Feb 7 - 07:52 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

sniff sniff...he had me at Bana. holy lord, him and Bale facing off would be the sh3t. sorry, i'm a huge fan of his but...Jason Stathom? ok ok ok...so robots are strong but can't use rogaine? big deal. he's an ACTUAL bad3ss and i could see him being a good Terminator. but if Bale makes a frikkin "cameo"...i'm not pumped to see it, at all. this starts and ends with him in my opinion. the 3rd one was ok but the Terminator chic was absolutely laughable. she looked like she coulda been taken out by 300 cc's of Midol, woo...tough.

and am i right in assuming "the space between" means the time AFTER the "past" movies...but BEFORE the machines are defeated? not sure what other "between" he's talking about, or did he just take a bet that he couldn't reference a Dave Matthews Song in an interview...

Feb 7 - 08:19 AM

taran72

Dan Mills

Good cast or not, McG is a major-league hack. He sounds a little confused, like the whole idea is half-baked. This is a bad omen for Terminator fans.

Feb 7 - 08:34 AM

Goosemagnetic

Mike Gainer

basically the movie will suck worse than 3. And he said all the actors of today are pussies.

Sadly, hes right. Nobody wants to see an illiterate buff dude as a main character.

Feb 7 - 08:37 AM

antiboy

Chris Cave

It's so hilarious now how every director in the world namedrops Brolin like it'll give them instant credibility. Would he make a good Terminator? OF COURSE NOT.

Would be make a good George W. Bush? Well, maybe. hahahaha.

But either way, he was amazing in No Country but that doesn't mean directors can expect him to be amazing in every role, especially some macho, brainless role like Terminator.

Feb 7 - 08:39 AM

BluMizu

Lady Capulet

Feb 7 - 08:40 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Over-all, McG (Dude, yer mom's name was 'McGinty'-- time to join us at the Grown-up table and have a FULL name) is the biggest thing bothering me about this sequel. His ramblings above did NOTHING to assuage my concerns. Dahluzz should fax a copy of his timeline to McG as a little light reading before principle photography begins.

Pro's:
1) Christian Bale
2) Bale, Christian
3) that one dude who's playing Batman, now.

Con's:
1-4) McG
5-7) The title: "Terminator Salvation: the Future Begins" ..quite possibly the suck-assest, most mealy-mouthed balls-free title I ever could've dreamed in my worst nightmares associated with such a cool franchise. These guys should hang out with the Producers of 'X-men Origins: Wolverine' or the Folks who came up with the new acronym for GIJOE, 'Global Integrated...'

The show's not bad, though, and I'm in love with Lena Heady.

Feb 7 - 08:48 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Josh Brolin is cool, but I'm not sure having him as a Terminator. Yep McG does suc, but maybe with Christian Bale as John Connor it could be good.

Feb 7 - 08:50 AM

thereign

lance berry

It would be nice if McG(did he get his name off the dollar menu at McDonald's?) would read boards like this and realize how half-assed his ideas sound to us.

An over-hyped, overrated, hideous director who sounds like he doesn't have a clue as to how the Terminator series worked. It also sounds like he was just called in for a meeting to do a followup to "some series" called Terminator, and he has no idea what the stories were really about, but likes the title, and decided to sign on for a nice paycheck.

Josh Brolin as a Terminator? Are you Fu**ing kidding me?? Antiboy(great name!) has it absolutely right--every director name-drops Brolin and thinks it'll give them street cred. F**k off, McG...you're an idiot! And with all the action, explosions, etc...you better DAMN WELL keep Christian Bale safe on your set--he's got another Batman movie to do, fuc*-o!

Feb 7 - 08:54 AM

Xavier Telouran

Drew Demorotski

OK, the big problem is we have McG tied to what SHOULD be a serious movie. Well, serious in the sense that it's not an overblown comedy about a '70s TV show. Next thing you know we'll get Michael Bay's MACBETH and the Farrelly Brothers' A TALE OF TWO CITIES. OK, maybe that's being a little bleak.

There's a reason this guy wasn't handed Superman Returns... and even though I wasn't a fan of Singer's end product either, I was at least HOPEFUL looking at his body of work.

Feb 7 - 09:23 AM

nate2709

Nate 2709

Tough following in James Cameron's footsteps, I think McG would have trouble following in Kirk Cameron's footsteps, could this be the first good movie he's made. It sure better be.

Feb 7 - 09:57 AM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel