Critics Consensus: Terminator, Night Are So-So Sequels

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got deadly machines (Terminator Salvation, starring Christian Bale and Sam Worthington); historical hysterics (Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian, starring Ben Stiller and Amy Adams); and dance fever (Dance Flick, starring Damon and Craig Wayans). What do the critics have to say? With Terminator Salvation, director McG has brought the venerable sci-fi/action series back to the screen, with plenty of chases, explosions, and yes, machines. But critics say he's forgotten the key ingredient that made the originals so compelling -- the human factor. Christian Bale is John Connor, leading the human resistance against Skynet, which has conquered our dystopian planet with its armies of Terminators. Back to Article

Comments

Bigbrother

Big Brother

And whoever decided to put her in tight aviator pants deserves and award. I'm not usually one for objectifying, but that thing was good. I wanna be friends with it.

May 23 - 11:23 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Gotta be able to separate fantasy from reality dude, otherwise The Roadrunner is just a bunch of sick coyote snuff films.

May 23 - 11:25 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Heh, nice.

May 23 - 11:27 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

you set'em up I knock'em down

May 23 - 12:16 PM

JAKEofMIDWORLD

Jake Almond

lol true, but I thought Tropic Thunder blew as well.

May 23 - 12:58 PM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

okay jake you officially have the worst taste in movies in the world.

May 23 - 05:08 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I enjoyed Tropic Thunder for RDJ's performance if nothing else and Stiller in the POW camp was funny to me and Tom Cruise was funny because it was so out of character for him.

May 23 - 06:52 PM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

The bottom line with Salvation is that it was just ok, and just ok is not good enough for a foundering franchise. Salvation absolutely reeked of being hemmed in by existing plotline and, for the first time in the series, took no risks and therefore added nothing. The truth of the matter is that Old John Conner/Young Kyle Reeese fighting Terminators in the future is fundementally less interesting that Old Kyle Reese/Youn John Conner fighting Terminators in the past... hense James Cameron made those movies and not this one. Still, they could have chosen to go out a limb and diverge the add something to the story here, but they played it safe and didn't which made the entire exercise completely pointless. Sure, playing fast and lose with established continity could easily have sucked, but at least the potential to do something beside expound on what summerized in the 2 minutes in the first movie would have existed.

May 23 - 06:50 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

May 23 - 06:52 PM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

God did the movie suck, Sam Worrington(sp) was the only good thing about it.

and on a side note i think he should play hal jordan in the green lantern film

May 24 - 08:20 AM

JAKEofMIDWORLD

Jake Almond

That takes on an absolutely wonderful comedic quality coming from you captain.

May 24 - 11:26 AM

G P.

G Perez

I have only one comment about Terminator. "What human emotion is missing?

May 24 - 05:01 PM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

I want to hear from all those losers who said that Terminator was going to be the biggest hit of the summer. Come on now, i also want to hear from losers like Bob S. who fail to attack this movie like he attacked Wolverine.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Terminator sucked just like i said.

May 24 - 06:06 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yeah Michael Bay gets a bad rep, I don't think he's bad at all. He's made movies that I've hated but found funny- Pearl Harbor, Bad Boys II, and Armagedon. But he also made The Rock which is pretty good action movie and Transformers is fun despite a lot of things I don't like. He's good at explosions. I think the best action directors, which to me Bay is not but he's a solid one, are the ones that don't let characters get lost in the action. People like Spielberg and James Cameron. The Matrix contains great action not only because it looks good but also that every action scene added something new to the story and characters, something the sequels messed up.
Terminator 4 I will defend. I went in with such ****ing low expectations as anyone should have- "from the writers of Catwoman and the director of Charlie's Angels!". The script was terrible, it lacked character development and some pretty bad lines (the devils hands have been busy!). Bale was pretty disappointing, he was given anything to do too. I think it had a lot of redeeming factors though. The action was staged really well- I really like those one-shot sequences which added a great sense of realism and choreography. Like CAP said, Sam Worthington is good and the best part. I liked Anton Yelchin a lot as Kyle Reese and I also like Moon Bloodgood. The production design was also really good- I really liked the look of the Skynet building.
I would give it a 7 or a 7.5, it's a well made dumb action movie even though Terminator deserves more then that, at least it was better then the third movie! I don't get why though people give a pass to something like Transformers and not this, the same problems are there- Weak script, no real character development, dumb but well staged action, and unintentionally funny dialogue. There both dumb fun action movies.

May 24 - 06:28 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Okay, "Pearl Harbor" is so bad it's good. (TO RAFE .) "Armageddon" is just noise with "Pearl Harbor" level of dialouge, and "Bad Boys II"...one of the worst movies I've ever seen. But, Micheal Bay's films aren't bad because of the direction (well mostly), it's because of the script. "Bad Boys II" had headache inducing action scenes, but the real problem is that the writers thought "Hey, if they curse a lot and blow stuff up REAL good, it will be good." So, Bay is largely bad at picking screen writers. I liked "Transformers" and "The Rock" however. Micheal Bay has been mentioned in the same breath as Uwe Boll, which is insane. Boll is not only a worse director, but just a total idiot. In short, Bay isn't good, but he could be worse.

May 24 - 10:50 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

I don't think Michael Bay just picks bad writers. I think he asks them to write like that.

Remember The Island? Bay removed the original writer and brought in his own guys to do a rewrite.

May 25 - 12:27 PM

inactive user

Jared King

I'm trying to forget "The Island", thank you for bringing up that terrible memory.

May 25 - 08:08 PM

inactive user

Jared King

May 24 - 10:50 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

May 25 - 12:27 PM

inactive user

Jared King

May 25 - 08:08 PM

ninja13

daniel metzger

What's wrong with this site right now? There are two identical (in terms of t-meter and box office) Night at the museum 2s in the top ten and if you click on any current movies, the over-all box office says 0$. Something wrong?

May 25 - 10:18 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

May 25 - 12:27 PM

inactive user

Jared King

May 25 - 08:08 PM

inactive user

Jared King

May 25 - 08:08 PM

Mark C.

Mark Cutler

I think Ben Stiller is at his best. when he has other comic actors to bounce off of, and he isn't the only one on the screen. I haven't seen Night At The Museum 2 yet, but I loved the first one and look forward to seeing this one as welll. Having said that, the only time I didn't like Stiller in a movie was There's Something About Mary, which I thought was a one joke movie, and once I'd seen the zipper scene enough times in commercial trailers, it wasn't very funny in the movie.

Mark

May 28 - 08:39 PM

Mark C.

Mark Cutler

Mark

May 28 - 08:39 PM

Mark C.

Mark Cutler

Mark

May 28 - 08:40 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup