• PG, 1 hr. 30 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Testament Reviews

John B

April 30, 2014
Testament is open forgotten about in the rather small canon on films that depict nuclear disaster and for good reason..it's good but it pales in comparison to the edgier Threads in capturing likely actions after a nuclear blast.
Dave J
September 13, 2013
Friday September 13, 2013

(1983) Testament
SCIENCE-FICTION

Realistic and sad portrayal about what it would be like after a nuclear explosion, but anyone expecting any happy endings would be very disappointed. Not the feel good movie ever made which can only scare people instead. The movie centers on a particular family and the hardships that she had to endure which I thought is a somewhat limited environment.

2 out of 4 stars
September 1, 2013
This movie leaves The Day After, in the dust for quality. It is relatively unknown and didn't get the hype, but it is a much better film. It is excruciating to watch (in a good way) just like an apocalyptic movie should be. William DeVane is billed as one of the stars but he's only in the movie a relative short time. The main stars are Jane Alexander and Lukas Haas who star as a mother and son respectively trying to survive in a California town after a nuclear blast hits San Francisco. It really hits home whether it's truly better to be instantly vaporized or to survive the initial blast where one's birthday cake will eventually be saltine cracker.
August 1, 2013
One of the best films I have ever seen for many, many reasons was this television drama.
June 12, 2012
saw it when it first was released - very powerful and moving. Jane Alexander is an amazing actress. Definitely recommend this movie
Kyle f73
May 4, 2012
All to disturbing look at the fallout of nuclear war. Brilliantly acted.
Freethinker
April 29, 2012
I think it was US who was most likely to launch a nuclear atack with the religious right in full power in 1983. Although I imagine Reagan wasn't quite as "close" to God as Bush was.

Whereas Marxism, believes in historical determinism, it is materialistic in essence, so if all human life gets wiped out, there would be no chance for communism to develop. While Christian Right is metaphysical in nature. And, you know, "immortal soul" cannot be touched by radiation fallout. And even if every last human "leaves out this world", there is there a better world for believers.

For that reason, there is a scene where the mother is angry with God. I believe she is angry with people who took the risks of destroying this world (in the hopes of eradicating the "evil empire"), knowing there is a better one out there.

We are lucky that Gorbachev was such a pushover. Had it been somebody as cavalier in the power of USSR as Reagan was, we would totally see a nuclear cataclysm, with US striking first.
Gordon Franklin Terry Sr
October 21, 2011
Devastating and Heartbreaking . . . I'm listening to the soundtrack as I write this; James Horner is the best composer of the generation following mine.

My generation's film composers are/were John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Basil Polidouris and John Williams.

When Scotty dies; it must be the most painful moment I've seen.

The Entire film is a painful experience . . . sometimes its good to enjoy films that remind you of the frailty of life.
April 16, 2011
A post-apocalyptic flick, done in a Hallmark movie style, as in prepare to cry! No shit blowing up or people disintegrating, drag! We watch as a family stuggles after nuclear devices are set off across the country. As the people start to die from radiation poisoning, babies, then children, sad part, (cry here).Who will be next? Not my kind of flick, worth a watch only if President Obama is the only thing on TV!
December 14, 2010
*** out of 4 stars

A very emotional portrayal of the aftermath of a nuclear disaster.
Umelbumel
April 29, 2010
Testament ist ein sehr dramatischer und trauriger Film, der mir das ein oder andere mal doch sehr nahe gegangen ist. Solche Thematiken mag ich sowieso, die Schauspieler waren alle miteinander sehr gut und die Grundatmosphäre hat hier definitiv gestimmt. Leider gab es in der Geschichte immer wieder Lücken, der Verlauf der Geschichte wurde sehr unrund wiedergegeben und das hat mich des öfteren SEHR geärgert. Schade, ansonsten hätte ich den Film noch sehr viel besser gefunden... Aber irgendwie kann ich das nicht, leider...
gute 3/5
kingofthecorn
October 20, 2006
Here's another film rating.