Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 9, 2010
Where to start with this film? The bad acting, story, directing? At the time of its release, this was the film that ruined the series.TCM next generation is pretty much the same in story as the first TCM, except instead of kids investigating a grave robbing, they're travelling on a secluded road after going to a prom. The film is basically a modernized version of the first TCM film, it really follows almost everything to the letter, nothing new or original here, no scares, to be found or smart, clever Horror bits. Not to mention Leatherface is a joke now, it's a total embarrassment to Gunner Hansen (the original Leatherface) This is a sad film to watch, there's not a single part that redeems this piece of trash, and not to mention that the family of crazed maniacs tormenting Renee Zellewegger and her friends, are aliens sent to earth to do an experiment, what a sh**ty ending, the only good thing about this film, is that it eventually ends. If you've seen the last three films of the series, and you haven't seen this film, do not watch this, save your time and money. This film is terrible beyond words. This entry in the series is very forgettable and is one of the most ridiculous entries only topped recently by Texas Chainsaw 3D. This one is a more modernized version of the original with added elements are simply stupid beyond words to the point where this one is almost a parody of the original. In terms of quality horror, this one doesn't offer that and is a total waste of time. Fans of the original will most likely be disappointed and hate this film with a passion. Stick with the first three movies and avoid this film altogether.
½ July 14, 2007
Pretty well a remake of the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie, except done badly. Leatherface is now dressing up like a woman. Matthew McConaughey is playing the psycho brother role. The psycho with the metal leg was overly-complicated; we didn't need that. There's a hilarious woman called "Darla" in the family of killers, who provided a lot of the comedy, especially when she went through the fast-food drive-in with Rene Zellweger locked in her trunk. They added weird government conspiracy plot to this movie, which was a mistake. I liked the rooftop chase. The killings weren't too gorey in this one. I loved the ending where Leatherface chases an RV with senior citizens in it, and then is hit by an airplane! Weird movie.
½ May 23, 2006
I know I have said a lot of bad things about Land of the Dead, but this movie is far worse. I demand that you see this so-called remake and vommit as you watch this rape of the original!
Beefy
½ August 28, 2006
I actually saw this turkey in the theater.
creepfreak
½ February 21, 2008
This one SUCKED. Not funny. Corny in the worst way possible. Silly and just flat out dumb. Kim Henkel (who helped Hooper write the original TCM) directed this piece of sh*t. Thank God this is the only movie he directed. I wouldn't be able to bare anymore embarrassment watching his films. The Next Generation is more than a movie about torture...it's a movie that tortures the audience (in the worst of ways). I don't mean by it's display of extreme violence, because trust me, this movie isn't violent at all. It tortures us by it's unfunny childish ways. A twelve year old could make a movie like this. It doesn't take brains to be an idiot. Henkel...you're an idiot.

I just thank God that Hooper was the director of the original Chainsaw, and not Henkel. Otherwise there would never exist such a classic that redefined the genre. The Next Generation blows.
½ September 18, 2009
This film is a bit nasty. No horror, no suspense, it?s not even frightening, it?s just violent and unnecessary. Turning Leatherface into a transvestite was a stroke of genius though!
½ March 13, 2008
The biggest pile of shit from the 1990's. Dental work is preferable to what amounts to a cheap remake of the original film that doesn't go anywhere new, makes no sense, and features acting on par with a three year old reading the script to Porky's Revenge.
February 9, 2008
It's entertaining to see Renee Zellweger playing a "survivor girl", but the "family" is quite weak in this one, as is the gore. For queasy types and kids, it's plenty grotesque, but there are no memorable kills or scares here for a horror fan. I saw the "dead family around the table" scene as a kid and was not only horrified, but offended, that this shocking trash was circulating; now, the corpses play as substandard production value and the concept of the overall scene is not as classic as prior "TCM family dinner scenes". Another dinner scene comment: Grandpa appears dead as usual but radically different from other incarnations of the character. He looks particularly corpsey in this flick, there is no dialogue on the family's part hinting that he is alive, but at the climax of the scene he gets up to walk, which is not an effective scare and very out of character (we just wanna see Grandpa struggle to lift a hammer, not see him bouncing about the room). McConaughey plays a good self-mutilating psychotic and I like the direction Leatherface has taken - extremely introverted and seemingly obsessed with the death of his mother whilst still struggling with yearnings for sexual contact with women, and expressing both this grief and longing as serial murder. I do hate the chainsaw swinging at the end which is an uninspiring exact re-enactment of the end of Hooper's original (you can only do that shot once in film history and make it meaningful, plus it has to have been a truly horrific film to warrant that bold ending). I also don't like concept that we are introduced to at the end *SPOLIER** that the world is run by an elite group and they fund and cover the Texas family's mayhem as part of a larger scheme to remind people of "true horror and fear". The "elite man" we meet has some cool fleshcraft and piercings on his body, but this menacing visual goes nowhere and his character barely registers as one dimensional besides not really adding to the plot.**SPOILER DONE.

Overall, I can see why the series had to "reboot" after this film.
½ June 25, 2007
Oh dear God a totally crap the chainsaw is indeed rusty in this one
½ April 16, 2007
Many years ago a friend and myself saw this really cheap somewhere. Maybe $5. We bought it, watched it and afterward we fought over who had to keep it. I remember McConewhatever had remote control legs and that was funny, but it was horrible. Just horrible.
deano
½ March 27, 2007
Ridiculous horror tale of Leatherface turns a wimpy, mewling transvestite in this 'horror' film.
½ October 30, 2013
Poorly crafted and idiotic, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation is crazy personified. After a group of students coming back from their high school prom break down on the back roads of Texas they fall into the trap of a group of psychopathic killers. Renee Zellweger and Matthew McConaughey lead the cast and give decent performances, but the rest of the cast is just terrible. And, once again the series sacrifices scares for the crazy and bizarre. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation is an atrocious film that has no point.
xxdebxx
May 26, 2009
The third sequel in the Texas Chainsaw series is now more famous for starring Matthew McConaughey and Renée Zellweger, neither of whom, at the time the film was made, knew better than to accept such trashy roles. Can I say McConaughey had a TV remote operated bionic leg. There is a weird guy in a limo who licks his victims, Leatherface dressing himself as a transvestite, surprising lack of chainsaw action, an elderly couple in a van drinking Pina Colada and an airplane coming out from nowhere towards the end.
½ January 26, 2013
Truly horrible, so called sequel. A bunch of kids on their way back from prom are chased and tortured by a gang of mentals. This attempt at a sequel is so strange and doesn't seem to have any real connections to the original. Leatherface is also a crossdresser, what the fuck? But its also the bad script and crappy performances(apart from Matthew McConaugheys mentalist, fair play to him, but a fake leg, again, what the fuck?!)) that just make this a complete waste of time. The original sequel is much better and this also makes the latest so-so sequel look like a work of genius.
shitfaced8
April 15, 2008
This movie is a piece of shit, but at least they were aware of that, as opposed to the more recent remakes. As a spoof movie I'd even say this was pretty funny. Total blasphemy but worth seeing once.
Hellshocked
½ July 31, 2010
Matthew McConaughey is having a hoot but the film is a piece of shit no matter what Joe Bob Briggs says.
SteveStrange
January 19, 2009
I'm starting to lose track of these.
March 8, 2008
Campy as hell. The dialogue is horridly great.
February 23, 2008
couldnt believe that matthew and renee agreed to do this and is the only reason i watched this trash
nickymo89
August 6, 2007
Yeah this is pretty bad. Fun to see Renee Zellweger and Matthew McConaughey in early roles. Let's just say, they have come a long way as actors lol. And someone please, please tell me... why did Leatherface have to be in a dress in this one?