Thale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thale Reviews

skactopus
February 2, 2013
Alexsander Nordaas has got the mystery going in Thale.The film itself only runs an hour and 15 minutes, and considering a bulk of the film consists of 3 characters in a shed, that would seem pretty appropriate. The story does hold a lot of interest, although the pacing tends to be a bit slow and the plot details not as fulfilling as the film concept.The fantasy element is held to a minimum on screen. The CG isn't the greatest, but it's not the worst either. It's probably for the best that it's used conservatively.Silje Reinamo is quite the attractive lure on screen. She has absolutely no dialogue to deliver, but with all her screen time and for what she is asked to do, she gets it done. Erlend Nevold and Jon Sigve Skard provide the dialogue as two clean up crew members that end up on a job that revolves around folklore.For a low budget mysterious fantasy out of Norway, Thale is worth the check out.
July 31, 2013
Interesting idea that sadly runs out of steam too quickly.
June 1, 2015
This was definitely a weird little movie. The cast of characters fits in one hand and most of the movie is shot in this one bunker location. I couldn't get any sort of captioning on this movie, which I believe is Norwegian. It would have nice to know what the two guys were talking about near the end of the movie.
½ April 5, 2013
Outstanding performances and assured editing. The movie has flaws and isn't quite as good it the latter half, but the first half or so is a lesson in how to make a low budget movie tick. It's gripping. (And the latter half is perfectly respectable, it just doesn't quite reach the high bar set in the first half.)
½ July 2, 2014
a nicely told movie that reveals everything when it should. not knowing about the nordic lore I was blind and it was just revealed to me as watching. and my curiosity got the better of me and I kinda ruined it for me before it got to the end. for a lower budget film it's done very well.
February 1, 2014
An equal mix of fantasy and horror, the Norwegian horror film Thale is a truly original film that examines the nature of identity and love. A very character-driven film, Thale deals with two characters trying to make sense of the impossible and one fantastical being trying to make sense of the so-called "normal" world. A film that will continue to surprise you as it explores the interaction between the basic, quotidian good of humanity and evil corporate forces that seek to milk the good for their own ends, Thale delights from beginning to end even if it never manages to quite elevate its plot the levels that it could have.
½ April 22, 2013
Starts off with a decent story premise and then just kinda sits in a room with early 90s style flashbacks, and early 90s cgi.
½ July 1, 2013
Considering the budget and stacking it against general horror movies that get churned out by the minute, Thale is fairly decent albeit a bit inept in almost every area. First of all marketing it as a horror movie is a little misleading as there are no real elements of horror, it is more a dark fantasy film. Pacing was a huge issue here, as despite the incredibly brief runtime (just a little over an hour) so many scenes and shots of nothing were stretched to the fullest extent of my patience. Some scenes were so strangely paced it felt like perhaps they would have been slow motion but they just didn't have the budget for it, or perhaps the characters in the film are all just really really slow. The story and character development is a little forced but I'll give it credit for being more developed than the average B film. You hardly have time to give a shit about anyone besides Thale, the most interesting character in the film, especially one of the co-leads in the film who for some reason NEVER STOPS CHEWING. If a little more time had been spent on the story or backstory instead of the needless CGI creatures and boring unlikeable characters, this would have been a real indie gem. The actress and character of Thale herself is highly captivating, a little haunting, and the cinematography in some scenes is very well done. Unfortunately most other scenes are incredibly cheap looking, and I would say the biggest flaw of the film is it's unevenness in all areas. It's watchable but not exactly recommendable, and it could have been so much better, but it's not terrible, it definitely holds its ground in the middle of the road.
½ April 16, 2013
It is safe to assume that Elvis and Leo do a job that few people could stomach. They clean up crime scenes. After the bodies have been removed, they clean up the pools of blood and bits of human remains that litter the scene. It's not a pleasant job but somebody's got to do it. Decked out in masks and bright yellow hazmat suits, they go about their business, picking up the pieces of someone else's inhumanity against his fellow man.

From the first moment, it becomes clear that Leo (Jon Sigve Skard) is easily equipped to handle this. Elvis (Erlend Nervold), who vomits profusely into a nearby bucket, seems less so. From this unappetizing scene, we get the feeling that Thale will be a movie about what these guys do for a living. Indeed, following their day to day routine might have been fascinating, but admittedly hard to stomach. Yet, we soon find that we're wrong. Thale is an odd, mysterious and somewhat beguiling supernatural thriller from Norway that is built on mood and atmosphere and suspense made up of things that we learn along the way. It is a relief to find a movie this quiet and moody when so many thrillers fall back on the standard of jack-in-the-box terror.

In a series of creepy images banded with effectively melancholy music, the next scene reveals quick-cut elements that we only understand later. Leo and Elvis find that their next job is to clean up a crime scene that reminds us, uncomfortably, of Buffalo Bill's lair in The Silence of the Lambs. Waiting for a professional team to show up, Elvis begins to poke around. Something in the way this house is laid out seems to be more than meets the eye. Leo urges him not to go snooping around, but Elvis' natural curiosity gets the better of him. A small cold filthy room reveals jars of liquids, strings of dim lights and a bathtub filled with milky water invites investigation, though a more cautious individual might have not have proceeded any further.

From this point, I may discuss certain plot points. So if you want to see the movie cold, you may want to stop here.

What he discovers isn't all that unusual. Beneath the milky water is a naked girl who seems to have been there for some time. She is alive, but terrified. She doesn't speak, but an old tape recorder reveals that her name is Thale (Silje Reinåmo). What Elvis comes to understand is that she is more than a victim. This room is more than a torture chamber, and her reasons for being in this location reveal that she is possibly not suppose to exist. Neither, by the way, is whatever is skulking around outside.

It would be cruel to reveal what happens next, but safe to say it isn't what we expect. This isn't one of those movie with screaming victims and cheapo shocks. It is the kind of movie where the thrills come from what the characters discover for themselves. Elvis and Leo have stumbled upon something that is possibly bigger than both of them. Holed up in that room with Thale, something else manifests itself, something else that isn't suppose to exist.

What is even more interesting is what we learn about Elvis and Leo along the way. In just a few tiny passages of dialogue, Elvis and Leo become full-blooded people, not just pawns to be chased around by a boogeyman. It is curious to see a supernatural thriller like this that takes a few seconds to give its characters a bit of dimension. They aren't fully-realizes souls but they have lives that we can imagine exist apart from their predicament.

Having recently sat through the halfwit (not to mention boring) nonsense of Fede Alvarez's remake of Evil Dead, this movie comes as a breath of fresh air. While it isn't a perfect film, Thale exudes a measure of tension and grounds its story in reality before revealing the supernatural forces that are present. This is the kind of movie that builds slowly, giving us time to discover things. It has the patience to reveal the story as it unfolds rather than explain everything all at once and then march us to an inevitable conclusion. It may not be to every taste. It moves slowly and has long passages where we wait for something to happen, but given the sad state of most other films in this genre, we welcome the chance to discover things for ourselves.
½ December 21, 2015
An interesting fantasy, borderline horror movie about a cabin in the woods that needs some crime cleaning and leads to an interesting discovery. The three main actors are quite good together, and the occasional shot of Norwegian lakes and forests adds to the mystery.
½ September 16, 2015

May 11, 2013
A good concept that's just too weird.
½ June 7, 2015
I wanted more from this film
June 1, 2015
April 12, 2015
I'm surprised this doesn't have better reviews. It's a really interesting little movie. My only real complaint is that I wish it had been a little bit longer and fleshed out a little more.
January 24, 2015
Looks like the director forgot what he was trying to accomplish toward the end of the movie. Left me lost at the end.
½ March 14, 2013
There's enough mystery to pique your interest, but very little development to sustain it.
November 2, 2014
This was an interesting idea, but falls short of entertaining.
October 14, 2014