October 3, 2015
The point of this movie is not that it is daring. It is not a film that intends to correct politics, but rather the view of human morals and the transgression of debate to the commoner as an argument of feeling, not logic. This film encourages thought on the self somewhat well and is not setting out to please the viewer with exuberant or massive story elements. It is wise in the same way Goodnight and Good Luck is.
August 9, 2012
This movie was way ahead of its time.
½ September 12, 2015
A comedy that shows that the worst people can be 'successful'.
½ August 18, 2015
Lead by an inspired acting performance by Aaron Eckhart and intelligent writing by Jason Reitman, Thank You For Smoking delivers a highly intelligent satire that can appeal to all sides of the political compass
½ August 18, 2015
August 13, 2015
A clever concept that revolves more around politics than humor. A great cast couldn't save some of the dull moments in this film but besides that it had it's moments and laughs.
June 13, 2015
While unorthodox and strange in many ways, Thank You For Smoking delivers a simple message of choice that it carries throughout its runtime and what effect choice can have on people. But more present than ever is Aaron Eckhart in the role of most likely one of the most hated and vile people in America, and yet he still can make you want to light one up if he offers it. Nick Naylor seems like if met in passing, you would think of him as a straight minded jerk who only cares about the body count his product racks up, but luckily through Eckhart's brilliant and complex portrayal of not only that, but also a man that is struggling with his morality and what it means to be seen as a villain out to steal money and kill children, it makes you want to give a chance but not too much of one.
½ May 13, 2012
Since I was 17, I have been attracted to this film. Back then, it was because I viewed it as an anti-smoking film that satirized the tobacco industry (for which I maintain a frothing hatred of). Today, this is still a big selling point for me, but I have a lot more critical experience, and thus I can say that this film is even better now than it was when I first saw it four years ago. The film is ostensibly satirical of the tobacco lobby, and through the film's main character Nick Naylor, this is done spectacularly well. However, the film deftly avoids being a one-dimensional anti-smoking film by also skewering the other side, showing the cunning, manipulation, and opportunism of both the tobacco industry and the anti-smoking movement. The performances were very skilful, sharp, witty, and positively scintillating, especially in the scenes where Naylor tries to connect to his son. The characters were brilliant, and the way they develop is always an interesting sight thanks to a stellar script and direction that is above reproach. The film opens with a stylistic homage to cigarette packaging, which I thought was little more than a stylistic way to open the film until the Senator unveiled his plan, which becomes the main plot of the film. A film like this would be boring without razor-sharp wit, and this film carries it in enough buckets to fill an open grave. In my opinion, this is one of the most intelligent comedies I've yet to see in film, and it's not just because of my usual leanings on the subject. Whatever you believe, I'm very certain that it is both as insightful as it is witty and entertaining.
May 29, 2015
I just didn't get this. I thought it was boring to be honest. There were some amusing parts, but they were few and far between.
½ May 23, 2015
Aaron Eckhart, JK Simmons, Robert Duvall, and William H. Macy are amazing in this clever satire about a spokesman who speaks on behalf of Big Tobacco. There's a number of dilemmas that Eckhart's character faces in the movie, and he faces them with both charming wit and a philosophy that makes him a great debater. It's a great movie where, even though he know he represents one of the world's deadliest industries, you want him to succeed. But it leads to happier ending, and I enjoyed the ride.
½ May 2, 2015
Not as funny as i thought it would be and man that kid really sucked the life out of the movie, he was so annoying!
½ April 8, 2015
I really enjoy this movie. I'm not saying I support smoking, not 99 percent but 100!
½ April 8, 2015
Cynically entertaining.
½ March 5, 2015
Funny film about a tobacco lobbyist with a twist!
February 11, 2007
Lobbyists represent everything that is wrong with our country. Instead of voting for the common good of the people, they are paid in voters and campaign contributions, to vote the way big business wishes them to vote. The result is laws that benefit the few and hurt the many. Thank You For Smoking takes an in depth look at one of these lobbyists, who works for big tobacco. In a satirical way, the film shows how this man is able to achieve his companies goals through bending the facts, bribery, and out right lying in a way that is completely legal under our system of government. Aaron Eckhart is terrific, which will come as little surprise to many, however the film was anything but. Like most films, Thank You For Smoking has it's moments, but overall the film is one short scene that just repeats it's self over and over again. The situations are different and the players are different, but the arguments and agendas are always the same. After watching two hours of the same thing over and over again, I was more than done with this film. No matter how charismatic the actor may be, the fact is that what lobbyists do isn't terribly interesting. It's one meeting and argument after another and the film just completely runs around in circles. The film was critically acclaimed for Eckhart's performance, but nothing else. Some critics think that one outstanding performance makes a film worth seeing, but I don't. Aaron Eckhart is an outstanding actor, who has been great in many other films that are worth seeing. Thank You For Smoking is nothing more than an insult to the American people, that runs forty minutes too long, and just goes around in circles, it's not something I'd recommend wasting your time on.
½ January 4, 2015
Filme quase divertido, legal ver como basta alguém saber falar pra fazer as outras pessoas se perderem nos próprios argumentos.
½ July 4, 2012
Jason Reitman once again delivers a typical satire piece that looks at both the good and evil of corporation and moral organizations in the world of spin.
½ June 2, 2012
2/8/08 12/19/14 I love the style of humor in this film. The entire subject matter is a bit ridiculous, but that doesn't really matter. This is a very unique film and highly entertaining! Eckhart is perfect for this role too. He does a terrific job.
½ October 17, 2007
'Michael Jordan plays ball, Charles Manson kills people, I talk'...and talk he did!

Silver-tongued Nick Naylor is Aaron Eckhart's ride into the big league
September 7, 2007
Great movie with a funny story. Chedder apple pie- the all American.