Thank You for Smoking - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

½ June 2, 2012
2/8/08 12/19/14 I love the style of humor in this film. The entire subject matter is a bit ridiculous, but that doesn't really matter. This is a very unique film and highly entertaining! Eckhart is perfect for this role too. He does a terrific job.
½ October 17, 2007
'Michael Jordan plays ball, Charles Manson kills people, I talk'...and talk he did!

Silver-tongued Nick Naylor is Aaron Eckhart's ride into the big league
September 7, 2007
Great movie with a funny story. Chedder apple pie- the all American.
November 8, 2014
An excellent screenplay and a superb performance from lead Aaron Eckhart add to the controversial and engaging subject matter which the story is based on, while remaining neutral on the issue.
January 13, 2011
In retrospect, this was a nice opener to Reitman's career. The ensemble is terrific here lead by Aaron Echkhart who really deserves movies like these to carry today. Robert Duvall gives one of his best performances out of what I have seen from him and JK Simmons is excellent as ever here too. Katie Holmes, Kim Dickens, and Maria Bello are great as is Rob Lowe and the always great William H. Macy. I wish this was more funny like Juno and Up in the Air are but the script is well written and won't make you scoff at it if you don't agree with this character's morals.
½ September 7, 2014

So much names in this. Great scene with the death tolls argument
½ August 26, 2014
Full of lessons and extremely ironic.
August 29, 2014
It comedic and ultimately witty, which makes this movie about a lawyer of smoking comedy, a great movie to watch. I recommend it for people have an IQ over 100 and doesn't just like explosions, slap stick comedy, etc. Overall I liked it but its somewhat overrated. 8.5
½ August 11, 2014
It is official; Jason Reitman is one of my top 10 directors of all time. Three of the four films I have seen from his filmography are, or is close to being a masterpiece. Thank You for Smoking may not reach the brilliance that is Up in the Air, but it does come close.

On its surface, the film is portrait of a man, whose job is to convince the nation that smoking cigarettes are not at all harmful. Beyond it, explores the ego and greed that fuels the politics of tobacco smoking; it is not about the subject being discussed but rather the people that endorses it. The film is mainly centred on the protagonist, which at first may come off as one-sided, but because the film spends enough time in fleshing out the other players of the game, therefore balancing out the film's character study and social/political commentary. Reitman could have simply placed all of its eggs on the one basket, our protagonist, but that would have been too easy and shallow. It was certainly entertaining to learn, while at the same time laugh at, the tobacco situation in America. The film's comedy is so effective because what we are seeing is real, these are true human beings that fight for these causes; the only difference between it and reality, is the filter that Reitman applies in order to remove the subject's depressing atmosphere. The film's weakest aspect is its most sentimental one, and that is the relationship between the protagonist and his child; this is not to say its sentimentality is the primary rationale for its effect on me, as I felt that was handled tastefully. My issue with the film's human drama is the lack of punch that I was expecting from a Reitman film. Both "Young Adult" and "Up in the Air", possesses that element that would make care so much about the protagonist and the relationships that they own. Thankfully, the film makes up for it with its highly entertaining and fascinating subject and individual quirky characters that never at any point cross the line of being either boring or useless.

Thank You for Smoking is Jason Reitman's first feature, and let me just say; what a debut! Reitman avoids the conventionality of drama-comedy films that were released during the time. Reitman adds his own personal sense of style, which certainly wasn't found in his two succeeding films, allowing Thank You for Smoking to really stand out. The director's aesthetic for the film is a blend of directors that may or may not have influenced him; I was able to pick up some Wes Anderson, David Fincher, and Martin Scorsese trademarks in this film, it is certainly an odd mixture but what he has delivered here, proved me otherwise. Though the film is brimming with style, it never reaches to a point where it defines or overtakes the film, unlike the directors that influenced it, as Reitman believes that a film's power comes from its characters, particularly his protagonists. Take a look at all of his films, as all of them seem to demonstrate fascinating and absorbing protagonist that evidently rises above almost all aspects of the film; when we think of Up In The Air, Young Adult, and Juno, what is the first thing that come to our minds? Straight away, it should be the protagonist of the story. I cannot carry this, though, to Reitman's latest film Labor Day as I have yet to see it.

The cast for this film is wonderful, with each and every one of them delivering Grade A performances. I think this was the film that convinced Christopher Nolan to cast Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent, as his performance here was just phenomenal. He brought so much charisma to his role here as Nick Naylor, that it's difficult to not be persuaded or be hypnotized with everything he does here. The rest of the cast was great but none could hold a candle to Aaron Eckhart's performance; the stands out would have to be William H. Macy and J.K. Simmons.

Thank You for Smoking would be a great starting point in exploring Jason Reitman's filmography, as I think it would be a great warm up to his succeeding films. Reitman's debut is an underrated gem of 21st century cinema.
½ July 26, 2014
The morals of the movie are debatable, as is clearly the intention of Reitman. Yet one can't help but feel that underneath the cool arguments that Eckheart snaps out; mainly "think for yourself" and variations on congress being a circus of hypocrisy (as true as that may be) there lies a story we've been told time and time again. One of an all American, freedom loving father juggling his career and role-model status to his son.
As Reitman tries to underline, and the therefore cut the bullshit, in this big business dramedy, you'd be hard-pressed to not feel dizzy after sitting through all this spin, that keeps promising more than a movie yet adheres to most of the tropes and genre conventions out there.
I wanted to feel enlightened or maybe a bit more cynical, however I came out of it entertained and, sadly, not a lot more.
July 5, 2014
Thank you For Smoking was pretty disappointing but it's not a bad movie. The performances are great and it's got some good satire in there. However, it feels like it plays it way too safe, and it's not nearly as "hilarious" as people say (even if the script is still pretty good). Up in the Air will still be my favorite Reitman film.
July 5, 2014
Funny drama on the unscrupulousness of lobbyists.
June 27, 2014
Jason Reitman's riotous feature length debut has a rollicking sense of fun and self-referential swagger that is courageously transmitted through one of lead Aaron Eckhart's finest career performances. Eckhart's pre-Dark Knight Harvey Dent is a smooth Casanova of a salesman who prides himself on the love of hearing himself talk while also persuading those around him to march to his own beat. As one of the "Merchants of Death" Eckhart's character is a tobacco lobbyist and in his hands you can trust the believability and allure of his pitch to the masses. There are many noteworthy scenes throughout the film and Reitman, who also scripted the flick, has a great ear for dialogue and satirical comedic timing. Supporting turns by Maria Bello as an alcohol lobbyist and the always reliable William H. Macy as a Senator, the film is strongest when it becomes a character study first and a social commentary second. At a trim 95 minutes, you almost want to beg for more just to see all of these colorful personalities with their hidden agendas butting heads. Personally, I find this film to be one of the most spirited debuts from any director. Highly recommended!
½ June 14, 2014
Jason Reitman's fantastic directing and writing make this socially aware comedy an absolute must watch.
August 4, 2013
Hollywood should make more of such smart movies.
September 29, 2006
There are 0 scenes of people smoking in this movie. It is all about talking.
May 12, 2014
It's a decent enough satire with an excellent performance from Aaron Eckhart and the sometimes unfairly bashed Katie Holmes is also great as a scheming, seductive journalist. I was desperate for it to break into something great but overall pretty average, wouldn't watch it again.
May 4, 2014
Its characterisation, humour, way of dealing with themes, drama, and effectiveness as a piece of satire are yet to be surpassed in a film such as this - yet for it's all qualities, it contains segments that feel as though the director was just being lazy.
½ April 18, 2014
Too clever. Full review soon.
½ April 2, 2007
Nick Naylor is possibly the most hated man in America; his job is basically to peddle poison to children. But it pays the mortgage...This extremely clever and insightful satire of today's climate of political spin is incredibly sharply written and has lots of laugh out loud moments as it deconstructs the methods used by PR men in the 21st century; even the "good guys" do not emerge unscathed as they are shown to use exactly the same tactics (see the hilarious scene when William H. Macy bemoans the quality of his TV "cancer kid"!). It may not have the flash and bangs of Lord Of War, but it has far more depth; in fact it reminded me more of an updated version of American Psycho. Instead of the hands on greed of the 80s satirised in that film, it shows how the immoral earn their corporate cash through hypocrisy and double talk these days rather than getting their "hands dirty". I couldn't help feeling that Jason Reitman got more carried away with making a political point and smart dialogue than dramatic momentum and so the plot lacked focus, but the cast are all superb and it contains witty and stylish visual and voice over cues in a similar vein to Fight Club and a great soundtrack. Very funny, very clever.