That Thing You Do! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

That Thing You Do! Reviews

December 29, 2013
One of my favorites!
April 26, 2014
I first watched "That Thing You Do" as a VHS rental about 15 years ago. After watching it again, I have to say this is an all-around excellent movie. A fun movie to watch, perfectly encapsulating the rise and fall of the popular music industry in the sixties, and a great soundtrack!
April 13, 2014
A funny, light-hearted, and charming comedy.
February 16, 2014
Really liked this movie. It was a delight to watch Tom Hanks but also Charlize Theron and Liv Tyler early on their career. A totally refreshing comedy!
February 12, 2014
That Thing You Do is at the top of my favorite movies list. Maybe it's for nostalgic reasons... but I've seen it over 50 times, and every time I watch it I find something new to laugh at - (a funny extra in the background, a mumbled line by Steve Zahn) - it brings me so much joy and I never get tired of the music.
December 20, 2013
I cant believe this film is the highest rated film on here that I absolutely adore! When this first came out a friend of mine and I saw it at the cinema 7 times. Bought the tape and listened to it constantly, when it came out on dvd we rented it and screamed like they did in the film. I love Tom Everett Scott. Hilarious and moving, with an amazing soundtrack. seen it hundreds of times. Love this film so much- so many fond memories !
½ November 27, 2013
Silly, fun, and way too dang catchy.
October 19, 2013
Tom gives another outstanding direction to a great movie. The style and music are very complimentary of the sixties and the costuming is superb, watch carefully and steal those styles as they are back. Acting and script is strong and full giving a good sounding eye into the band. Motorcars and other accoutrement give a fun reminisce. Nibbles: Turkey sub with bacon crisp.
October 8, 2013
One of my all time favorite feel good movies.
½ September 21, 2013
There is a simplicity and innocence to this that I find unreasonable to deny. If you don't like this, maybe movies aren't your thing (music too).
September 1, 2008
Not particularly a story I wanted to hear or feel good about hearing. The film was fun, but without a payoff.
½ August 14, 2013
Peppy and very enjoyable
August 10, 2013
a really good music movie
½ July 26, 2013
A fantastic film. Great visuals, great story. believable cast (except Liv Tyler who couldn't act hurt if she was shot).

Proof that it doesn't take $200M and CGI to make a great film.
½ December 30, 2011
Underrated like crazy.
February 17, 2008
Written and directed by Tom Hanks. Need I say more? Since Joe Vs. The Volcano, everything he touches turns to gold and this is no exception. Great soundtrack and story. Thumbs up!
June 30, 2013
Just saw this for the third time, and it's as fun and lighthearted as the first. DO NOT MISS Tom Everett Scott in a star-making role as the jazz drummer wanna-be who turns a dreary ballad into a song that rocketed up the Bill board charts. Liv Tyler does a great job in one of her early films, and Tom Hanks puts in a great cameo. This is a solid, fun movie, Hanks's first, and it has all the hallmarks of his developing style: human, engaging, restrained, intelligent, and fun. Watch it, and see if you can avoid the temptation to grab someone and do the shag to the tile song.
½ November 9, 2007
That Thing You Do! is neither overly sentimental nor overly cynical. It looks at the invention of our pop-rock mythology, and the bands that fed it until they were consumed by it, just as you'd expect Tom Hanks to: with open eyes (and a raised eyebrow). This is a lightweight but utterly loveable affair which proves Hanks is as assured behind the camera as in front of it. Though Hanks keeps the satirical and critical aspects of this look at show biz fairly light, there's a lot of conviction and savvy behind the steadiness of his gaze. First-time writer/director Tom Hanks stays about a half-beat ahead of the cliches with rim shots of boyish enthusiasm and deft comedy. Good-humored and just about reeking of innocence, That Thing You Do! is what a character has in mind when he asks for "something happy, peppy, up-tempo." Leaving audiences feeling good is very much, and very successfully, on its mind.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
May 26, 2013
Some average guys get together, make some music, and produce a billboard record. A dream anyone who plays legitimate music has probably had at some point, myself included. I'd say Tom Hanks has a pretty solid directorial debut.
May 9, 2013
That Thing You Do! shies away from its ample opportunity to be a study in the elements leading to band dissolution; but it's all part of its bubblegum charm.