44% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

That Thing You Do! Reviews

johnnytangster
November 9, 2007
That Thing You Do! is neither overly sentimental nor overly cynical. It looks at the invention of our pop-rock mythology, and the bands that fed it until they were consumed by it, just as you'd expect Tom Hanks to: with open eyes (and a raised eyebrow). This is a lightweight but utterly loveable affair which proves Hanks is as assured behind the camera as in front of it. Though Hanks keeps the satirical and critical aspects of this look at show biz fairly light, there's a lot of conviction and savvy behind the steadiness of his gaze. First-time writer/director Tom Hanks stays about a half-beat ahead of the cliches with rim shots of boyish enthusiasm and deft comedy. Good-humored and just about reeking of innocence, That Thing You Do! is what a character has in mind when he asks for "something happy, peppy, up-tempo." Leaving audiences feeling good is very much, and very successfully, on its mind.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
May 26, 2013
Some average guys get together, make some music, and produce a billboard record. A dream anyone who plays legitimate music has probably had at some point, myself included. I'd say Tom Hanks has a pretty solid directorial debut.
May 9, 2013
That Thing You Do! shies away from its ample opportunity to be a study in the elements leading to band dissolution; but it's all part of its bubblegum charm.
Super JMan
May 9, 2013
The first and only time I saw this movie, I really liked it. That Thing You Do not only has great acting and a lot of laughs, especially from Lenny, but it has a great score written by Tom Hanks himself. Did you notice that Tom Everett Scott looked a little like Tom Hanks in this movie?
May 6, 2013
That's right people: this is my FAVORITE movie and it's rated at 93%.
April 25, 2013
A lovely feel good film with a catchy tune and some great performances!
April 20, 2013
Very fun, and a great writing/directorial debut for Tom Hanks. Plus, the song is truly catchy just like a true one hit wonder...
April 14, 2013
Great acting and great music; I will never get tired of this movie!
May 31, 2012
I love this damn movie.
April 6, 2013
Love the cast, haven't seen anything directed by Hanks yet.
March 22, 2013
This movie made me happy, Steve Zahn's Character was really funny anay Loved it
July 22, 2007
It was like a rockumentary about a band I couldn't give a shit about. Also, this movie could have been cut down to 45 minutes if they didn't make you listen to the band play the same damn song over and over and over and over again.
March 27, 2013
i love this movie well Im addicted to the song more
Tom M.
March 27, 2013
This movie is so good it cost me a relationship:

I showed this film to an ex-partner and she had this terrifying, visceral reaction of, "oh god, no, this is awful." I knew then that we were done. We can agree to disagree on all my other favourite films. But if you don't like this you're ultimately broken. Go watch it and find out!
March 11, 2013
bastante recomendable que demuestra la vida de una banda de adolecentes en esa epoca de una forma muy bien lograda
March 9, 2013
This was such a fast paced interesting movie that had a believable
plot and fun music. I have seen it several times and have always enjoyed the hype of the music managers and companies that essentially sell their talent as a commodity with no real thought of how they effect people's lives.
March 7, 2013
"The One-ders," later named "The Wonders," are a garage band with big dreams, and they become a reality. But can they go through with what every band eventually goes through?

The movie pretty much nails the 1960s. From the sets to the wardrobe, you pretty much feel like you have been transported to to the era.

Then there is the characters -- none of which I could identify with. There was no depth to them in my opinion, and they all seemed pretty one-dimensional. The script was pretty much the same way.

The performances from the cast were fine, but they were handed a pretty weak script that just didn't give the cast the opportunity to shine. None of them stood out in my opinion, even Tom Hanks, who also directed.

There was some drama in this film, but nothing really stood out. In my opinion, the way the break up of the band near the end of the movie was handle wasn't that good. Maybe if there was a little more emotion in the fight that lead up to the break up, I would have been more into it.

When it came to scenery, nothing truly stood out. The performance scenes were handled fairly, but they were edited poorly at times when combined with shots of the frenzied audiences.

The only thing that stood out was the authentic soundtrack, all of which were original tunes as far as I could tell. It's too bad that the producers were not able to put actual hits in this film to make it more authentic.

This film is probably good enough for a rental if your first choice is unavailable. Personally, I don't think this will become an addition to my collection.
Saurabh Koche
March 18, 2009
[i][b][u]that thing you do[/u][/b][/i] is a nice movie with combi of love & fun.first part of movie is not so good for me but after that movie starts picking its pace & build up to gud one.
February 28, 2013
Film pertama yang bikin gw pengen nge Band pas jaman SMP...
Good Movies, Nice Music, Great Story..
#added to my Download list..
February 27, 2013
I loved it! Very sweet and funny.