64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

The 39 Steps Reviews

Anthony L

April 3, 2013
As much as I love Hitchcock's original, there was always room for improvement. Made 24 years after the original film based on John Buchan's novel it had time to improve vastly, from the use of colour, the development of the cameras, camera trickery etc but they achieved quite the opposite, they took all that was right about the original and undid it. The changes in story were of no benefit at all to the overall feel of the film. The humour was even more displaced than the original, the acting was pretty shoddy and all of the various substitutes in the story distracted to much from the original. I'm very fond of Ralph Thomas's film but I think he found his feet with the Doctor films, if you want to see what I consider the best version of the story, then go to the Beautiful Crighton Theatre in London's Piccadilly Circus and go see the stage show, it's brilliant.
Ross C

June 18, 2011
Almost a scene-by-scene remake of Hitchcock's 1935 original, again a contemporary version, this time the secret plans are for a ballistic missile. In some ways its better than the original, colour cinema, no more hammy acting, and real location shots add something but somehow the plot isn't revealed quite so clearly, perhaps too many location shots make the plot exposition scenes more rushed?
brandonklaus2
brandonklaus2

August 10, 2008
A decent enough mystery, but it didn't really wow me.
Anthony V

July 8, 2008
Hitchcock's version is superior, but this one is well done.
April 3, 2014
I enjoyed this movie as I did the earlier Hitchcock version, however both took incredible liberties in regards to the Buchan book they claim to adapt. I remember picking up the Buchan book in university expecting to read an adventure novel along the lines of these two movies and was disappointed to discover that the book bore hardly any resemblance to the movies whatsoever. Perhaps the most faithful adaptation is the 1978 version starring Robert Powell. No matter, Kenneth More makes a very appealing Richard Hannay and is a much better actor than 1935's Donat and the color is well used to highlight some beautiful Scottish scenery.
Darren H.
April 3, 2014
April 21, 2011
If, like me, you enjoy British films of the fifties, this may be a pleasant surprise. It was released in the same year as Hitchcock's masterpiece - North by Northwest - and let's be honest although Kenneth More is a proper British gent he doesn't really compare with the peerless Cary Grant. The plot itself has much in common with the big budget Hitchcock movie and is basically a long chase film with our hero being pursued by the police and a gang of international spies. There is much fun to be had spotting the host of character actors in the cast including Sid James - King of the Carry On films. The colour photography is lush and quite rare for a British film of the period. It looks as though most of the work was on location and the film takes us from London to the Scottish highlands. Good for a wet Sunday afternoon.
Teotihuacan
January 25, 2011
Intelligent and full of genuine dialogue. Did have a tendency to move a bit slow at times.