97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

The Blob Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 9, 2010
The Blob is yet another terrific 1950's Sci Fi monster flick that is among the best in the genre. This is a genre classic that is a memorable and fun film to watch like all the classic monster pictures of the period. Starring Steve McQueen that made him a star. This is an entertaining film from start to finish. This is a film that has bad looking special effects as the blob grows bigger as it eats an entire town. With that being said, that's what makes this such an entertaining ride. A simple plot, good acting and hilarious effects, it adds up to a great entertainment hour and a half of fun as you see this abomination terrorize a town. This is a memorable addition to the genre and ranks up there as one of the best classics in the horror genre. A very enjoyable and fun ride throughout, this film is never dull or boring. If you want to enjoy a mindless monster flick, and then check this one out, it is definitely worth your time and with a great cast, it is sure to appeal to any viewer looking for a mindless horror classic to watch. The 1950ès were affine time for horror films, and there was a resurgence in a good old fashioned monster film. The Blob ranks along with Frankenstein, The Mummy, Them!, Frankenstein and the Creature from the Black Lagoon as one of the finest monster movies ever made and if you love the cheesy effects, simplistic plots and lots of monster carnage, then don't pass up on this one, it is worth seeing.
Tyler R

February 24, 2012
The teen movie that started it all...without overdoing it on drugs and sex. Yes, this movie is a tad dated, but it's of of my favorite 50's movies and it's a classic horror movie. The special effects were really good for the time (The best part is no CGI!) and they're still fun to look at, even today. My favorite thing about this movie is not the blob attacking the town, but the lifestyle of a teen that I missed out on. I would do anything to live life as a teen in the 50's and not worry about what new technological thing is being released or the new overrated rapper that everybody likes even though he sucks. (Mac Miller, just saying.) Instead I'm stuck in a generation where teens use dumbass words like 'swag', 'dope' and 'sketch.' I even told one of my friends that I would have like to live in the 50's and his response was "Bro, that shit cray as fuck." WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?! I don't speak "gangsta" or "broseph" or whatever you call it! This movie displayed what a Friday night was like back in the 50's: Go to the movies, go to a nifty diner, order some burgers and shakes, listen to the jukebox blast some Elvis. But now a Friday night consists of idiots that state "Bro, imma get fucked up and blazed as fuck!" To be fair, places like Johnny Rockets can help recreate what a 50's lifestyle could've been like, but it's no help when people around you are texting and talking about Facebook and Jersey Shore...Anyway, back to the movie. I really think the exposition is great. The idea of a small town creates a good state of separation from other places that may be able to help. Steve McQueen is a badass. His character is so simple, yet likable. Overall, The Blob has great nostalgia value and that's really all that needs to be said.
Ken S

April 15, 2007
The quintessential 50's B movie and a totally infectious theme song.
Michael G

November 22, 2006
The Blob is one of those generally awful movies that everyone should see if for no other reason than the theme song. The Blob comes off like a more respectful version of Rebel Without a Cause, especially when a nearly 30 year-old Steve McQueen overacts a teenager's performance. The effects are laughable by today's standards and the script is silly by any era's standards. But at the same time, its a Sunday afternoon movie that won't, um... eat up too much time. As ridiculous as The Blob has a tendency to be, it still beats the hell out of the remake.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
This is like the first real teen horror movie. I love it, it's such a cool movie, both with it's special effects and it's story. I highly recommend this movie.
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

October 12, 2010
By the goofy, bossa nova-style opening theme song ("Beware of the blob, it creeps and leaps and glides and slides") you might think "The Blob" is going to be just a typical grade B, 1950s sci-fi cheese-fest, but it manages to set itself apart from the crowd with a slightly better than average story. What's so great about it? Well for starters, the disaffected youth aren't overly dramatic, rebels-without-causes, they're kind of actually believable human beings. And yet, the age-old generation gap is played up big for the kids of the fifties. Actually, I'd go so far as to say it's the adults who look cartoonish and the kids who are the realistic characters here. The film-makers certainly played up to their intended audience. The story starts off the way every sci-fi movie from the fifties starts off, with an unidentified flying object falling to earth from space. It turns out to be a meteorite, containing a gooey substance, or "blob", if you will. The blob begins eating people, and it's up to the teenagers of the town to stop it. Steve McQueen stars as the lead teenager (although he was apparently in his late 20s when this film was made). He and his girl rush the first victim back to the doctor in town (as a side note, the doctor bares an uncanny resemblence to Gregory Peck) and unwittingly unleash the creature on the whole town (you see, the blob grows bigger with each victim it consumes, so that eventually it's the size of an elephant). I'm not sure if the blob just consumes animal matter, or if it eats just anything it comes across: if it's just people, it must devour a lot of them, as it grows awfully big. I've read online the Blob is, whether consciously or sub-consciously on the filmmakers part, a communist parable. I suppose this is possible, but does it really mattter? The Blob taps into our innermost fears of being eaten by something that can't be forcibly stopped (admit it, you're terrified of being eaten by monsters). And it's a fairly clever B movie from the fifties.
Conner R

July 10, 2010
I think what makes it so much fun and so goofy is the fact that it was intended to be taken so seriously, little did they know it really only works as a cheesy b-movie. Now it's style is seen everywhere, especially in low budget horror, but this really is the king of all implausible sci-fi horror movies. To think about a man eating ball of gelatin destroying a town is just utterly ridiculous. I love the acting too, it's an essential part of the movie's effect. It's as if the Cleaver's town was taken over by aliens.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 8, 2009
'50's sci-fi horror movie about a gelatinous mass of shapeless, carnivorous goo from outer space.

Besides being a cinematic cult classic, it's also a wonderful film for parents who are having difficulty teaching their children to not touch anything that looks nasty or sticky. "Don't touch that, it might be the blob" was all my Mom ever had to say to get me to leave things alone and undisturbed.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

December 24, 2007
I have to say, I love Steve McQueen, but the remake is a much better version of the story.
Jason O

October 12, 2009
FINALLY saw this tonight. The 1988 remake's always been a favorite of mine. Enough so that it made me want to look back and see how it all started. I liked this one too, but the 1988 one blows it away. The special f/x were good for their time and I never got bored or anything negative, there just should've been more gore and killings, if you ask me. It centers mostly around McQueen and his friends trying to convince cops there's a monster in town, then when it finally happens, it's rather unconvincing.
Phil H

May 28, 2008
Havent seen this for along time,i think I saw it when I was quite young and it actaully scared me abit hehe it works well, it is creepy and the effects are nice for the time. Of course Mcqueen is kinda the main focal point. Its harmless fun and has a nice open ending which kinda makes you think abit.
Cherry D

August 21, 2007
"..Beware of the Blob! It creeps, and leaps, and glides and slides across the floor.."

I watched this when I was really young (as in 4 years old kind of young) and had nightmares about it lmao, so I can't really give it a proper review. I don't want to watch it again and see how stupid I was :)
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

August 24, 2008
Interstellar space goo lands in rural America and eats people. Teenage time capsule where the plot is interrupted by backwards drag races and other hijinks; decent nostalgia with a little suspense, and McQueen is charming as the teen the adults won't believe.
Lafe F

August 4, 2007
Easily in the top-ten of 1950's alien invasion flicks. It's a fascinating concept. It's golden. Great opening title sequence.
Cindy I

June 6, 2007
So cheesy and so much fun. Steve McQueen was a little old to play a teenager, but he's still fun to watch early in his career, before he was cool. The effects are obviously miniatures, but it doesn't matter. See it anyway.
garyX
garyX

February 28, 2007
The original teen B-movie monster flick, it's utterly absurd and dreadful to the point of being pretty good fun! And Steve McQueen!
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

October 18, 2013
Don't go out, kids, for you are being stalked by the horrible, catastrophic might of... some big ball of goo that reflected how easy we were to scare back in the '50s. Actually, I joke, but if there's some meteorite being going around absorbing people, I don't care if it's an alien, or goo, or, I don't know, Jiminy Cricket, I'm out. Shoot, this film, like most every other, really glorifies Steve McQueen, because in real life he was so freaked out by a blob that he bailed to Mexico, and his blob was only a medium-sized one in his stomach. Ouch, now that joke is just way too blasted soon... or something, even though it refers to something that happened well over 30 years ago. The demise of the King of Cool will always be too short of a while ago, but no matter which way you look at it, the joke is about as morbid as the blob's eventual state. Man, it's a good thing that this rascal can just grow against its prey, because if you think that it takes a while for it to crawl out of the meteor, imagine how lazy it gets when it blows up like Elvis, or better yet, gobbles up Elvis, if can handle the combined, rockin' powers of the King of Cool and the King of Rock n' Roll. It's a cheesy joke, I know (Oh, don't tell me that you haven't always kind of wanted to see Steve McQueen and Elvis have some kind of a Marvel team up or something), but hey, this is a cheesy movie, and while that isn't to say that this film isn't reasonably fun, it is to say that this thing, not unlike the blob's weight, has some problems.

I don't know if the film is quite as tonally messy as some b-movie enthusiasts say it is, but its leaps between fluff and thrills don't always work, even in a film that tried not to thrill a more vulnerable audience too much, yet more uneven than the tone is the focus, because even though this film's story doesn't have a whole lot of layers to soak up, the occasions in which focus really shifts feel a bit off-putting, forcing elements in exposition and plotting that shake your investment more than reinforce it. Okay, maybe the film isn't that structurally uneven, but it's not all that coherent either, and that particularly goes with the pacing, because at 82 minutes, this film's runtime is short, and sometimes trimmed down by hurried occasions, yet there are still draggy moments, or at least moments that seem draggy, due to some atmospheric bland spells. Pacing is reasonably brisk on the whole, but when it's not so much, momentum really dives down under the weight of some atmospheric cold spells that chill down the thrills, sometimes nearly to the point of dullness, and decidedly to the point of challenging your investment, though not quite as much as the cheesiness. Again, the film stands to be more tonally messy, having an adequate amount of moments that you can take seriously enough to get invested in the conflict, but this is still a b-movie, and if you wait long enough, anything from questionable, dated attempts at shocking, to unsubtle characterization and dramatic touches will limit kick, which, beyond the script and direction, has limitations. Even in concept, this film's story isn't really all that special, being refreshing and all, and therefore justly recognized, but not with a whole lot outside of uniqueness that's worth remembering, because at the end of the day, this thriller is kind of inconsequential. The final product entertains just fine, and is often downright fun, but it's all fun and games until you kind of forget what happened, for although this b-movie classic does its job as a fluff piece about as well as it can, not much in this effort is special. That being said, while the film is far from as absorbing as its antagonist, it'll get you by as an entertaining piece of filler, whose stylistic elements even play a pretty big part in keeping such entertainment value up.

A surprisingly impressive aspect to this film, Thomas E. Spalding's cinematography really bounces color in a way that was not simply relatively well-defined for the time, but really livens up the visuals of this film, perhaps too much, seeing as how this is ostensibly a horror film we're dealing with. Ralph Carmichael's and Burt Bacharach's score tries to compensates for the liveliness of this "thriller's" visual style, but it itself finds its effectiveness limited by conventionalism and limitations in the atmospheric scoring sensibilities of the time, so in order to be sold on the conflicts of this thriller, you might need to be sold by the effects, which have dated a bit in time, but impress nonetheless, having enough convincingness and style to its molding to help draw you in as technically lively. For its time, this film was stylistically and technically strong, and even to this day, the stylistic and technical value can be commended as aesthetically engaging enough to augment the liveliness that this project might need if it is to sustain a fair degree of your investment in substance. Like I said, cheesy elements limit the weight of a story concept that really only has so much meat to spare, so there's not a whole lot of potential here, but make no mistake, there is still potential, as this premise is genuinely unique, with plenty of intriguing attributes, if not colorful spots that go sold by a couple inspired performances, particularly the onscreen ones. There's not a whole lot for the performers to work with, but charisma is all but across the board, especially with leading man Steve McQueen, and considering that much of this film is driven by its characters, the charming performers add a lot to the film's color, which may not exactly grace this film with all that much compellingness, but endears. For such endearing color, credit is due to director Irvin Yeaworth, whose limitations in inspiration limit the bite of the film, yet are ultimately outweighed by a certain degree of briskness to pacing that cannot keep blandness all that far at bay, but keep a fair bit of entertainment value consistent, and often combining it with kicks in material in order to produce, not necessarily chills, but thrills that mark particular heights in entertainment value. Really, if the film has nothing else going for it, it's a fun factor, and while that doesn't get the final product that far, it gets you by, with enough charm and entertainment value to endear as a classic, if improvable b-flick.

Overall, there is some unevenness to tone, focus and pacing, as well as some cheesiness and inconsequentiality to the story concept that ultimately doesn't offer enough kick for the final product to escape underwhelmingness, which is still challenged enough by fine cinematography and special effects, charismatic performances - especially by Steve McQueen - and generally lively direction behind a unique and reasonably intriguing story concept for Irvin Yeaworth's "The Blob" to entertain and charm, maybe thoroughly, regardless of shortcomings.

2.5/5 - Fair
Dannielle A

July 24, 2008
YES! This is such a classic! And it's pretty scary too, for an old movie!
Marcus W

March 15, 2009
Hasn't aged well at all.
Stephen E

December 15, 2012
I doubt that "The Blob" had people running from the theaters in fright. It won't ever scare a single soul out there and that's okay. It's so corny and poorly-made and all of its scares are dampened by lackluster direction that it comes off as an unintentional parody of the kinds of horror flicks that it inspired, but even if it is pretty bad, it's bad in a strangely enjoyable way.