Beauty & the Briefcase - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beauty & the Briefcase Reviews

July 2, 2015
I really wasn't expecting much, but actually this was okay. The ending was idiotic - I don't get how she came to her big realisation, except that it suited the story.
And she's an airhead. But it was light viewing and mildly entertaining.
3niR
½ October 8, 2012
Predictable and cute.
March 8, 2011
The adorable, sweet and charming Hilary Duff produced this movie. Yay! At times the movie is so corny, that you will find yourself cringing and wondering--why am I still watching this? The movie exploits the topic of how being a young, and beautiful, woman is enough to get by in todays world. Being dumb (not intelligent) is funny, and desirable, too. Way to be a role model to our kids! The movie tries very hard to become The Devil Wears Prada and Legally Blonde, and it doesn't come close. All in all, this is an entertaining, teeth cringing, hiding behind your pillow because of the embarrassment, 86 minutes of cutesy.
December 27, 2014
I normally can't stand Hilary Duff, but this movie was surprisingly good. Pretty predictable, but still cute.
February 2, 2014
Almost like a semi-sequel to How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. It's a decent story, and Hilary Duff does a great job, but it's an overall slightly below average rom-com.
½ August 24, 2012
How good could this have possibly been? In fact, was there really any chance at all for "Beauty and the Briefcase"do have any quality to it whatsoever? The percentage began slim, and ended up almost nonexistent. It is hard to give this film much criticism mainly because it was a television film for ABC Family, but at the same time, I'll just review it as if I had seen it theatrically. I'll be as fair as possible. So here it goes.

A fashion journalist goes undercover in the business world to discover true love, through the characteristics of men. Apparently, this is an adaptation of some kind of work, whether it was a magazine article or a book I have no idea. Anyway, it seems to me that the plot is rather weak, but of course it theoretically had potential to expand upon itself if executed properly. Unfortunately, everyone behind the production didn't see much opportunity.

One of the main reasons for the backfire that this film manifested was its acting, specifcally Hillary Duff. Of her "exstensive" film career, this might be her worst performance to date. It certainly is debatable, but Hillary Duff was asbolutely atrocious. And it's not like she was attempting to do a good job or anything. The rest of the cast is thoroughly bad thanks to the sub-par television appropriate script that might bore you to death.

But the most profoundly annoying thing about this production is that it tries to convey a message about true love, but I can't recall one ever taking place. The only emotion that I assosciated myself with during this film were ones of anger and boredom. But why am I kicking a dead horse? These kinds of movies are distributed by small companies for television all the time. And if the audience is a demographic made up of teenage girls, how good could it have possibly been? Not very good at all. I saw it, thats right. I might regret it, but I guess there is really no point in beating this movie senseless for its poor quality. It's a film thats easy to evade, and it seems that most people have. "Beauty and The Briefcase" had no chance of being good, and its badness came so easy to me that I'm still contemplating why I felt so content over a horrible production. I guess I'm used to it.
October 12, 2011
Again, anyone who didn't see that Carmack's character wasn't what he seemed, hasn't seen enough films. I like Duff, but I wish someone would pick her up for a better film. Duff's character ending up with McMillian's character, while I get that it was supposed to be due to the fact that he's everything BUT what she was expecting, still felt completely awkward/forced. The way she treated her opportunity at Cosmo so nonchalantly was completely unrealistic, as was its editor's reaction each time they met.
½ June 4, 2011
One of the most misogynistic movies I have ever seen. Hillary Duff plays an amoral bubblehead who happily lies and cheats her way into a job as an assistant at an investment bank as part of a magazine assignment. Thus established as a "businesswoman," she proceeds to date every man in her office in an attempt to find "the one."

I'm not sure whether the most offensive part of this movie was the negative portrayal of actual businesswomen, the focus on landing a man above all else--including basic moral behavior--or the at times somewhat rape-y vibe the movie gives off. After discovering that her boyfriend has lied to her about his nationality, profession--even his name in order to bed her, Duff's character sighs: "I can't really be mad at him, he was just giving me what I wanted." In other words: I was asking for it. Wow. Don't let you daughters watch this movie.
½ June 1, 2011
Duff is prettier than ever in this movie. It was an ABC Family movie, so it was silly. It could've been worse.
May 20, 2011
One of the crappier chic flicks I've seen. The plot isn't terrible, though it's not overly original either, but the acting is pretty weak. Hilary Duff is beautiful but she's failed to prove that she's a quality adult actress.
½ February 28, 2011
This is just another in the tradition of cute, fluffy chick flicks. This one has the girl on the hunt for her dream man while she is "undercover" in a world that she clearly doesn't belong in, yet no one catches on. She meets the man of her dreams and is too blind my lust for another man to see what is in front of her. Of course, the ending is everything sappy that one comes to expect with these easy to watch rom-coms.
June 21, 2010
I absolutely loved this movie, even though I knew how it would end 20 minutes out in the movie. Cute, charming and funny.
½ May 10, 2016
Wow!! I absolutely like Hilary Duff's fashion in this movie. It was very cool and businesslike. :D
½ April 3, 2016
Totally rom com TV show worthy but forgettable as I forgot I seen it until I realized I knew how it ended...
July 27, 2015
Adorable and cute little movie!
July 2, 2015
And she's an airhead. But it was light viewing and mildly entertaining.
½ June 24, 2015
Only thing I liked about the film was Tom...Lane was shallow and pretty much an ass. She used Tom and never felt remorse. Seriously! She could've destroyed the company, but then she claimed that she did all those hard work. To be honest, I have no idea why Tom would even like her, she so does not deserve him!
April 2, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
½ December 31, 2014
From the start of this film I was disappointed. Prior to this film I had never reviewed a movie on this website, however this movie was so terrible it convinced me that I needed to prevent others from enduring the horror in the future. DO NOT WATCH THIS DEBACLE!
December 27, 2014