17% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing Reviews

Fernando Rafael Q

November 8, 2011
Fascinating documentary about a field that, at first glance, doesn't seem very interesting (it is). The Cutting Edge demonstrates the importance of an editor, the unsung hero of the film industry, without overly glorifying the profession. Kathy Bates narrates and movie icons such as Spielberg, Scorsese, Tarantino, Jodie Foster and Sean Penn share their point of view. Goes to show that a documentary that's, in a very big way, educational, can also be very entertaining.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

February 6, 2010
Excellent documentary on the medium.
Ken S

February 7, 2008
Great documentary on editing

August 11, 2010
[font=Century Gothic]"The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Editing" is a mildly interesting documentary about the art and history of film editing, starting with its invention which made narrative films possible. It is fascinating that women were many of the pioneers in this field. Film clips are shown, of course, along with directors and editors discussing their special relationships.(I would have liked to have seen a director like John Sayles who edits his own films, so I could compare approaches.) And there is also footage of veteran editor Walter Murch working on "Cold Mountain." What the documentary describes is how an editor shapes a film through pacing and how the editing can manipulate an audience which can be both bad and good. "Schindler's List" is an example of a movie where the audience is told what to feel while Michael Haneke excels by constantly challenging the audience's expectations.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]However, the documentary is sadly only told from the viewpoint of Hollywood films with nothing about foreign or independent films(Nothing on "Memento."), except as innovators like Vertov, Godard and Eisenstein.(And as long as we're talking innovators, where's "Citizen Kane?") For example, there is a huge difference in the pacing between "What Time Is It There?" and "Moulin Rouge"(2001) which was apparently edited in a wood chipper. Yes, digital effects are neat toys but they are no substitute of the humanity of real actors. And it does not touch on the thorny subject of where a film is taken out of a director's hands and re-edited without his permission.[/font]

September 11, 2010
Editing was always something I was aware of in the conveyance of timing continuity and emotion, but until I watched this I had no idea of the evolution of the form. Some of my favorite scenes and how the timing made it happen. For example Spielberg talking about the shots of the shark in Jaws looking fake and how he and his editor counted the number of frames they could keep it believable. 33 frames horrifying, 37 frames fake looking rubber fish. Speilberg comments on the weeks it took to get this malfunctioning contraption to work and in the finished work 33/24th of a second In addition, the movie covers the originators of film thought it was an amusement until the addition of editing. Through the 20-40?s were editing was strictly controlled in form. It moves on to Bonnie and Clyde and Trousseau and on into modern digital editing. George Lucas talks about how he was an editor before a director, that explains allot. If like me you like to absorb and understand all about the movie process to know how thing go right and more specifically why things go wrong this is a must see. Why may I say it?s not five star, surprisingly the editing of the interviews is not very good and they run a little long winded.
Wu C

September 7, 2009
Everything you need to know on the history of film editing.
September 10, 2010
"My editing process is an intuitive process; it's what feels truthful, it's what feels strong, and it's what works."

"The editor has the most objective eye in that creative environment." - Steven Spielberg

"Editing is manipulation. We're manipulating reality as the audience sees it." - Michael Kahn
jam233
February 28, 2010
This is a must see documentary for any serious film buff. For all you folks out there that dismiss older films, you may be surprised by your favorite directors such as Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg and James Cameron praising the magnificence of silent films and many classics. Without these classics and the skill involved in making them, todays movies wouldn?t be what they are. A brilliant and informative documentary. It very thoroughly explores a movie art form that is often not understood and certainly unappreciated. The editing of a film is very instrumental in its success. However, not many people appreciate it.
April 7, 2009
A very interesting into the look of the 'invisible art' of film editing. The doc covers the history of film editing on to modern techniques and genre-specific practices as well. Very informational and entertaining for anyone who might be interested.
X4LIFE
February 8, 2008
A pretty good documentary overall, but nothing great. It had a lot of unique information on the history of film editing that I was not aware of, so that was fun to learn about.
October 26, 2013
This was a great documentary, never failed to entertain
June 28, 2013
A great documentary on the unsung heroes of film.
June 30, 2012
Another "must see" covering a wide range of perspective and insight into film making with regard to the editor.
June 3, 2012
Well-made documentary structured in a creative way with great interviews with some amazing directors and editors.
Matthew J.
April 16, 2011
An interesting and insightful documentary which will surely interest everyone.
September 29, 2011
Para conocer a los hà (C)roes anónimos del cine. Porque escribir, dirigir, actuar, etc., es solo la mitad del trabajo. El editor hace que una película sea una película.
August 16, 2011
Good documentary on movie editing but, ironically enough, would have been better if it had been more tightly edited. About 20 minutes too long.

September 11, 2010
Jonaslover123 S.
August 11, 2010
The Cutting Edge was nice to learn the different styles of film editing. The camera views change the scene which makes a seen or breaks it. The film is definitely good to learn the styels of directors on different genres of movies.

[font=Century Gothic][/font]