The Exiles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Exiles Reviews

rubystevens
½ June 15, 2012
it is a time capsule of los angeles and a moving portrait of young urban indians in the late 1950s. featuring untrained actors who are startlingly natural and beautiful b/w photography of an LA that has changed beyond recognition, the film follows young men on a friday night of drinking from barhopping to their after party high above the city, where they drum and dance to recall their faraway homes. a remarkable film
April 4, 2012
I don't know how to react to this film. Am I supposed to empathize with these lazy, sluggish Indian men? Aimless, callous, unemployed spongers who do nothing but drink, smoke, flirt, fight and play cards? It's as if the script aims to reinforce negative stereotypes.

"The Exiles" has virtually no dramatic shape. The men do nothing useful, while the women work and quietly endure their unhappiness. The story spans about a day, and nothing transformative occurs. And most of the dialogue and ambient noise is awkwardly looped in post-production -- this is alienating. In particular, the casual chatter in bars and cafes is painfully stiff.

The filmmakers deserve credit for making a worthwhile sociological statement on a non-existent budget but, beyond that, there's little to recommend "The Exiles" beyond some interesting glimpses of early-'60s Los Angeles.
Harlequin68
April 4, 2012
[font=Century Gothic]At its best when photographing the exteriors of a lost city, "The Exiles" is an ethnographic docudrama about a trio of American Indians(Yvonne Williams, Homer Nish & Tom Reynolds) over a twelve hour period in Los Angeles. The men hang out, play poker, and get drunk. For them, they have lost confidence in the future, being twice removed from their traditional lives. Yvonne who is pregnant is lonely as she goes to the movies while the men make the rounds before spending the night at a friend's place. For herself, any hope for the future she reserves for her unborn child for whom she is staying in the city to give him a better chance at leading a rewarding life.[/font]
February 17, 2016
A fascinating hybrid of art and life, The Exiles may not hew entirely faithfully to literal truth but nonetheless conveys a form of artistic honesty that is inescapable. It's a mesmerizing marriage of poetry and prose.
½ May 29, 2015
Crude and low-budget but fascinating film is a snapshot of a time (1961) and minority (Native Americans).
February 27, 2014
The cover features breathless reviews by phonies, enraptured at a film where we watch irresponsible adults stagger around in the dark. Hardly miraculous but still an interesting project taken on by the filmmakers. I just don't like the hyperbolic ejaculation smeared on the jacket. But seriously, no normal human being uses the term "bread" as much as the turd characters in this movie.
½ April 4, 2012
Haunting 1961 docudrama about Native Americans adrift in the city after leaving the reservation. A great time capsule, and it features some beautiful B&W photography of early-'60s San Francisco.
April 4, 2012
Not my kind of movie, but from what I can stomach it's really really nice. I should watch this again.
½ December 2, 2008
A docudrama that follows the lives of three Native Americans living in LA during the span of one night to the next morning. Shot in stunning high contrast B&W and with a cast that basically play themselves, the director uses interviews with the cast as voiceovers. The problem with the narration was that the words were so poorly spoken and it was hard to make out what they were muttering. The dialogue was awkwardly dubbed as well. While the events in the film seem very authentic, the portrait of these people were inadequate to show them as much more than alcoholic hedonists who mistreat their women.
February 17, 2016
½ November 11, 2015
has a doc-like quality to this look at native Americans
½ May 29, 2015
February 27, 2014
rubystevens
½ June 15, 2012
May 18, 2012
Shoulda just made a documentary - would rang truer. This, however, is just fake seeming because, well it is.

Realistic and Emotional
April 4, 2012
Interesting snapshot of life in mid 20th century and for contemporary Native American life. Feels like a documentary.