Awards Tour: 83rd Academy Awards Oscar Winners

Summary

The waiting is over -- the nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards have been announced, and we're updating RT with the winners as they're crowned! Click through for the full list of Oscar winners! Back to Article

Comments

Harry May

Harry May

I can't believe Danny Boyle was snubbed, I know he already has an Oscar but his direction in 127 Hours is brilliant, much better than Tom Hooper. I really don't see what's so great about The King's Speech, it pisses me off on so many levels, it's a story about a guy who had to tell Britain that we were at war, he didn't go to war, he just told us we were at war, what a poor soul. He also lived in luxury whilst us commoners had to live off rations, so what if he had a speech impediment. I imagine The King's Speech will win more or less every category it is in, the Academy can't get enough of King's and Queen's, I don't think they'd be as complimentary towards the monarchy if they had to pay the Royal family's wages like us British citizens have to. I think I'm going to be disappointed if 127 Hours doesn't win at least one award. Unfortunately I can't say whether or not True Grit or The Fighter are good because they haven't even been released in the UK. I'm also disappointed in BAFTA for putting films like 127 Hours, The King's Speech, The Fighter, True Grit and Black Swan in their nominations since all these films have been released in 2011 and not 2010, which is what the awards are for.

Jan 25 - 04:52 PM

Pratt

Cory Pratt

I agree with you 100%. I admit that Colin Firth's performance was solid as a rock and he is deserving of a nod, but the rest is just a run of the mill period piece. If the Academy ate up films about Presidents like the do the royal family, we'd have a hell of a lot more Presidential films in the states. I don't know what it is about Monarchy that the academy loves

Jan 25 - 05:28 PM

Dave J

Dave J

I'm well aware about what I said, but there must be other critereas and factors involved- which could be the storyline as well as the fact that the first film happend more than 20 years ago in which some are saying that this newer version is either more faithful to the novel than the the John Wayne classic which the film at the time was altered to fit John Wayne's persona! And to ignore this by some would be a travesty! I'm also aware that "The Departed" was a remake and still won even though it was remade from Infernal Affairs but as I had stated their must be more than what we know!

Jan 25 - 04:54 PM

Harry May

Harry May

I agree with Jordan J. The Social Network isn't David Fincher's best effort, it is forgettable, I only watched it a few weeks ago and I can't really remember what the point was, all I remember is a really annoying lead actor (Eisenberg, on a side note, he should not have been nominated for Lead Actor, very disappointing on the Academy's part) who couldn't grasp the concept of friendship. Are we meant to think this guy is witty and smart? If that's what script writers were going for then they failed, or maybe Eisenberg failed, he just comes across as arrogant. I haven't seen Blue Valentine but from the trailers I can tell Gosling's performance would probably run rings around Eisenberg. I feel like this year's Oscars are really trying to reach out to a younger audience...

Jan 25 - 04:58 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

I'm not going to harp on your guys' opinions, to each his own of course, but The Social Network is probably one of the best movies of the last 10 years....

Jan 25 - 05:16 PM

Jimmy

Jimmy Jimmy

@Harry May

"(Eisenberg, on a side note, he should not have been nominated for Lead Actor, very disappointing on the Academy's part) who couldn't grasp the concept of friendship. Are we meant to think this guy is witty and smart? If that's what script writers were going for then they failed, or maybe Eisenberg failed, he just comes across as arrogant."

Although he was supposed to be smart, he really was supposed to come across as arrogant. They were trying to paint him that way. So I think Eisenberg did a pretty good job. Not the best of the year by any means, but a nice enough job.

Jan 29 - 11:19 AM

Jimmy

Jimmy Jimmy

@Harry May

Jan 29 - 11:20 AM

Turkish124

Jason Woods

The King's Speech was an incredible movie. It was the last one I saw of the ones nominated but definitely the one I enjoyed the most, and that is saying a lot in that company.

Jan 25 - 05:04 PM

Dave J

Dave J

That is your opinion because you've seen other stuff that he did, but what if 'those' people did not see those other movies Eisenburg's had done! What's disgusting about all of this is that people can't get over ones persona even though they're always in different films when you're supposed to be watching movies without remembering his persona on anything else! And the point is as Tase pointed out, everyone knows Eisenburg has a long shot of winning but his nomination was the result of it's subject matter as a whole and nothing else!

Jan 25 - 05:06 PM

Dave J

Dave J

I mean Eisenburg's 'contribution' to the subject matter is what matters!

Jan 25 - 05:07 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

Who I want to win in the following categories:

Best Picture: The Social Network, Toy Story 3, or Inception\
Best Director: David Fincher
Best Actor: Jesse Eisenberg
Best Actress: Natalie Portman
Best Supporting Actor: Jeremy Renner
Best Supporting Acress: Melissa Leo or Amy Adams
Best Animated Feature: Toy Story 3
Best Original Screenplay: Inception
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Social Network
Best Visual Effects: Inception

Any awards I didn't mention I'm rooting for The Social Network and Inception in any categories they're nominated in.

Jan 25 - 05:11 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

I was wondering the same thing.

Jan 25 - 05:12 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

I also noticed that The Town got snubbed for Best Picture. Though the 10 that are nominated are all worthy so not too much to complain about (really glad Jeremy Renner got a nom though, he was great).

Still haven't gotten over that they snubbed Christopher Nolan and Andrew Garfield. Ugh, that just makes me mad...

Jan 25 - 05:15 PM

Jan 26 - 05:16 AM

Pratt

Cory Pratt

Jan 25 - 05:28 PM

Pratt

Cory Pratt

Almost always the Academy will plop a new/novice actor in the supporting category no matter if they're in a leading role or not.

Jan 25 - 05:30 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Dave, having seen both True Grits, the differences in plot and dialog were minimal. Some scenes looked like Psycho style shot for shot. The big differences were in tone and acting nuances. Just kicking in my two cents.

Jan 25 - 05:33 PM

Pratt

Cory Pratt

People need to seriously chill about Inception. I really enjoyed the movie but it's chances of winning are ridiculously slim. Also, the movie may have been riveting and amazing the first time you see it in theaters, but after you understand how the dream layers, etc. work, it's doesn't hold up at all watching it the second time.

I said it before and I'll say it again, half of Nolan's ingenuity with his shots come from Wally Pfister. I have no doubt he'll win for cinematography.

Also, the digital Jeff Bridges looked beyond terrible in Tron Legacy, even the director himself didn't like the look of it, so it's no shock that it didn't get a nom.

Jan 25 - 05:36 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I actually enjoyed Inception better the second time around, but I agree ut wasn't the best movie of the year.

Jan 25 - 05:59 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

Doesn't hold up watching it a second time? Sorry, but speak for yourself, because for me and many others that isn't true at ALL. The movie improves on repeated viewings for me.

Jan 25 - 08:20 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

I know I'll catch hell for this but I agree with Pratt. I was actually quite surprised that it didn't hold up as well on a second viewing. I'm a huge fan of Nolan and I've loved every movie he's made. Inception is no different. But something just wasn't there when I experienced it a second time. Pratt made a good point. At least for me, part of the enjoyment of watching Inception the first time was witnessing the unique story structure. When the novelty of that was gone, the rest of the story just didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped. Just being honest.

Jan 26 - 12:38 PM

Rob P.

Rob Perkins

No love for Nolan under the Best Achievement in Directing?

Jan 25 - 05:40 PM

Dave J

Dave J

It's possible that some critics may disagree with you on that! My question is what kind of tone does the original novel provide!

Jan 25 - 05:41 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office