Awards Tour: 83rd Academy Awards Oscar Winners

Summary

The waiting is over -- the nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards have been announced, and we're updating RT with the winners as they're crowned! Click through for the full list of Oscar winners! Back to Article

Comments

Lucas C. Bertoni

Lucas Bertoni

The Academy is starting to change, and considering what has happened in the past (where films like Braveheart win over Apollo 13, and Crash over Brokeback Mountain) they need to change their view of acting and directing as well as overall film. Sure, not only did Danny Boyle get snubbed (was I the only guy who noticed this?) but so did Nolan and Andrew Garfield. In my opinion, Garfield was top-of-class, much better than the others (like, let's say...Christian Bale) and yet he got snubbed. And yes, Toy Story was a good film, and but make way for Blue Valentine, which had more blood, sweat, and tears in it than any animated film this year.

Jan 26 - 10:23 AM

Harry May

Harry May

I noticed that Boyle got snubbed, I said it a few pages back. No one seems to care though, once someone's got an Oscar they very rarely get nominated when their next film is released.

Jan 26 - 12:42 PM

flix.sf

Joe Shaw

Really? You think Nolan is an just an action director and Cameron is more deserving of Oscar noms now? I'd think that Avatar was way more of an action film than Inception (just count the explosions) and that, while it was a great immersive experience, the story, dialogue, and acting were pieces of crap. Yet Cameron got the best director nom last year for it anyways.

Nolan's only true action films were the Batman ones and even though they were action films, the characters were very well developed and the stories were truly stirring. Action films like that deserve more recognition than a traditional drama that tells a different story, but with the same old formulaic routine.

With Inception, he truly pushes film-making concepts, storylines, characters, and imagination beyond just the same old schlock we see most of the time. Inventive directors like him and Aronofsky need to be recognized for their creativeness in order to inspire other directors to push the bounds of traditional cinema. Otherwise, we'll continue to have just the same old films, just with shinier packaging and bigger explosions...like Avatar.

Jan 26 - 12:11 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

"the Oscars aren't really about who the "best" is in each category. It's really about who has the best PR, agents, and lobbyists to push the hardest for their clients."

Amen brother.

Jan 26 - 12:19 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

I know I'll catch hell for this but I agree with Pratt. I was actually quite surprised that it didn't hold up as well on a second viewing. I'm a huge fan of Nolan and I've loved every movie he's made. Inception is no different. But something just wasn't there when I experienced it a second time. Pratt made a good point. At least for me, part of the enjoyment of watching Inception the first time was witnessing the unique story structure. When the novelty of that was gone, the rest of the story just didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped. Just being honest.

Jan 26 - 12:38 PM

Harry May

Harry May

Jan 26 - 12:42 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

From the looks of the nominations, I think THE KING'S SPEECH, BLACK SWAN, and THE SOCIAL NETWORK are going to dominate the awardfs ceremony. I hope TRUE GRIT, INCPETION, and TOY STORY 3 get a few awards as well.

Jan 26 - 01:13 PM

Dave J

Dave J

The only point I agree is perhaps Tase's comment on Oscar's tendency to reflect back on it's past histories rather than by looking at the actors films overall! And the reason is because 'voters' tend to be peer pressured by other people and critics after seeing all the entered nominees even after the Oscar's program well been over and the same people who voted that time - much of the same people are coming back to vote again, for instance Denzil Washington won the Oscar for "Training Day" when his performance was better in "The Hurricane" the year before, James Stewart winning for "The Philadelphia Experiment" when his performance was better in "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" he did the year before! And the point about perhaps the actor is not really acting because that is who and how he acts in real life is irrevelent because they're alot of actors who're exactly just like what is described and they still won or were nominated such as Anthony Hopkins, John Wayne, Gregory Peck to name a few and then include Jesse Eisenburg to that list! And "The Departed" was absolutely nothing compared to "Goodfellas". Go figure!

Jan 26 - 01:42 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Can someone say Michael Mann's "Heat"!

Jan 26 - 02:06 PM

Phil K.

Phil Kramer

Any movie that makes you understand the concept several different charcters getting kicked up through 4 different levels of dreamspace simultaneously deserves a best editing nomination.

Jan 26 - 02:18 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

@Connor P, it might not officially be for "best director of all time," but the Academy has often given a "make-up" award to filmmakers they snubbed in the past.
It's like the Academy version of an NBA referee calling a very ticky-tack foul in favor of a player because they badly botched a call earlier in the game.

Jan 26 - 02:19 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

@Dave J, I thought Denzel Washington's performance in Malcolm X was great, and that he should have won for it. But the Academy didn't touch that movie, namely because of its topic and its director, Spike Lee, whom they constantly snub.
Besides, the Academy almost always turns in an extremely lilywhite set of nominations every year.
There's just too much internal politics and business agendas involved in the Academy's dealings.

Jan 26 - 02:23 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Haven't Morgan Freeman, cuba goofing, Halle Berry ruby dee, and Taraji p henson won or been nominated recently? It's a bit disengenuous to claim the Oscars are "whitewashed". Forgot about Monique and Gabby Sidibe. Who would you say deserved a nom this year? Tyler Perry.

Jan 26 - 03:49 PM

Dave J

Dave J

I agree about Denzil's performance on Malcolm X and had Spike Lee 'hadn't' badmouthed the Academy, Denzil may could have won!

Jan 26 - 04:46 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Look at the history of who's won over the years. It's very much whitewashed. Look at this year's slate. As white as snow.

Feb 27 - 08:48 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

ANOTHER REASON TO SAY 'FUCK YOU' TO THE OSCARS!! Sorry guys. It's 2011. If Hollywood can't grow the fuck up, then why bother with their awards and their politics and their bullshit? THE Oscars didn't touch Malcolm X because they're speerheaded by an infantile, sorry breed of cowardly douchebags.

Feb 28 - 08:11 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

On point, Stepp. Bigbrother, you know that talk about being "disengenuous" is bullshit. Come on, man!

Mar 1 - 12:58 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I "third" that. I don't know why people argue about who should or shouldn't win. There's just too much politics, too much butt-kissing, money-grubbing and other agendas going on within the Academy to make this some legitimate enterprise.
I honestly still don't get why people on the outside care about it.
There's been so many snubs over the years, so much pandering, and overly sentimental voting, that the Oscars are full of crap. People give them too much credit and influence.
I don't care if movies or filmmakers I like win or not. Once I realized they don't base it on quality but rather what helps out the industry, I turned my back on them.

Jan 26 - 02:26 PM

Phil K.

Phil Kramer

hahaha!

Jan 26 - 02:31 PM

Josh G.

imgonnaget STABBED

I agree. Ryan Gosling was phenomenal in Blue Valentine, along with Michelle Williams, who deserves the recognition she got from the academy.

Jan 26 - 02:35 PM

DBrock

David E-Brock

At first i thought If you require your G rated cartoons to be risqué with satire and social commentary that you are the definition of a Movie Snob. But I actually thought about it and you are right... I myself was dissapointed at the lack of contrast between Freudian and Jungian schools of psychology and I also found the lack of sociopolitical commentary disturbing as well. I felt that Woody could have been more effective as a symbol of our country's current economic climate. And how cowardly of Pixar to have Buzz go into Spanish mode without even addressing the issue of illegal immigration! Shame on you for making a cartoon for children...shame!

Jan 26 - 02:36 PM

super n.

super nova

There was more to visual effects in Tron that just Jeff Bridges face....all the fight sequences, the light cycles, the jets at the end.... all superbly done. It should have been nominated in the best visual effects category.

Jan 26 - 02:48 PM

super n.

super nova

Jan 26 - 02:48 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

See above, too few animated movies were submitted for 5 to be nominated.

Jan 26 - 02:52 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast