62% The Maze Runner Sep 19

The Invincible Iron Man Reviews

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

January 7, 2010
A Lone Warrior. A Suit of Armor. Our Only Hope. IRON MAN.

Invincible Iron Man was a very refreshing new take on the origin of a well loved Marvel superhero. I enjoyed it to an extent, but I still don't consider the movie anything more than average.

Billionaire inventor Tony Stark digs up far more than he bargained for. He unleashes an age-old prophecy that foretells the resurrection of the Mandarin, the emperor of China's darkest and most violent dynasty. When his best friend James "Rhodey" Rhodes has been kidnapped, Tony travels to China to investigate, he is captured and badly injured by the Jade Dragons, his life only saved thanks to a Chinese shaman and Rhodes' skills as an army medic after a piece of shrapnel damages his heart. In order to confront the destructive force in this ultimate battle, Tony creates an armored suit infused with high-tech weaponry. To stop the evil that he himself has raised form the earth, Tony must become his greatest invention ever which becomes known as "Iron Man"! The newly born champion must travel to the four corners of the earth to battle the Mandarin's henchmen, the Elementals four magical warriors who harness the power of the elements earth, water, wind, and fire with deadly chemistry.
Drake T

August 1, 2011
Too awful to critique, really. Not only is the story a bastardization of his origin but the animation is absolutely awful. There's some unexpected attention to character complexities and relationships, but outside of that this film completely fails in every way possible. Why would Marvel put money on such crap?
Conner R

January 13, 2011
Nothing all that bad, but nothing particularly great. The animation is not impressive at all, it seems as if there were budget issues because the movement looks unnatural. Where it really excels is in the storyline, which is a semi-origin story and Mandarin plot. I only wish there was more time spent with Iron Man in his suits instead of being just a plain, non-RDJ Tony.
deano
deano

September 27, 2009
This Marvel Comics animated film is above average with use poor 3D of Iron Man and four elementals in the action sequences that didn't excite me much. The action sequences do look a bit lacklustre, because the Elementals are basically one-trick ponies, and it doesn't take much effort for our hero to dispatch them one by one. Then again of course this is Tony Stark's first foray as a hero utilizing his suits for good, so he's not all that versed with battling enemies, and magical ones at that too. But in an effort to build up to the climatic finale, there are a couple of missteps.
Luke B

February 28, 2009
The Invincible Iron Man is certainly not in the same league as the live action film. Nor is it up to the standards of The Ultimate Avengers movies. Maybe this is because Ultimate Avengers has loads of characters to distract you, or turn to when things start slowing down. Here the focus is entirely on Stark/Iron Man. The film cuts corners, for example he has already made the Iron Man suit before he decides to become Iron Man. ??? That confused me. The animation is pretty good but the film gives us nothing new to love about the story or character. The whole father issues segment just felt very forced and very fake. Watch the live action version for excitement, chemistry and wonderful performances. Though this version did have a dragon and lava, so it is worth a bit of your time.
Jani H

November 2, 2008
I think that Marvel Studios should not continue to make these animated features. This has nothing to do with the feature film and very little with the original comics. The magic is gone and all we have left is a animated film that doesn't take any chances and leaves the viewer cold.

The story's about the beginning of Iron man. The only really good thing about this is the last 20 minutes and Mandarin, who's one of his greatest nemesis of all time.

The animation is solid but doesn't give you any feelings of wonder or amazement. The voice acting gives no thrills.

Only for hardcore Iron Man fans.
Michael G

March 25, 2008
Ehhh...

Pretty flat and dull story with too much CG animation. (I was actually waiting and praying for it to end.) Pretty weak villians (think Big Trouble in Little China with no dynamicism whatsoever) and some equally weak voice characterization. The fights were kind of cool but if the live action movie's this yawn-inspiring I'm going to be seriously pissed.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

November 13, 2007
although im really into super heroes, iron man is not one of my favorites. having said that, i enjoyed this movie. another good animated flick from marvel that was definitely worth my time. the story was good, but the animation could have been better and the battle at the end was terrible. despite its problems, i was encouraged.
Beefy
Beefy

January 29, 2007
Slick but not exactly compelling. Too much hokey mysticism and not enough hard tech.
Gimly M

June 13, 2012
Let it be stated that I believe I went into this film with too high expectations. I knew from the get go that this "origin story" was in no way related to Earth-616 or Earth-199999. What I didn't realise however, was that it was going to be bastardised to the point it bore no resemblance to armoured Avenger whatsoever!

Without trying to ruin the story line itself, let me give you a couple of points about how 'The Invincible Iron Man" differs from an actual Iron Man story.

Tony'sdadisstillalive

Starktowerisrunbyhoward

Howardisresponsibleforthedeathofmaria

SHIELDareanevilgovernmentagency

Themandarinwasanundergroundemperor

Thereareonlyfiverings

Tonyisneverreferredtoasironman

Healsomakessuitslongbeforeheneedsto

Rhodeyisamedicblahblahblahblahblah it goes fucking on, let me assure you.

The animation isn't the worst I've ever seen, but for a 2007 high-budget release I was expecting a lot more than I got. I have no problem with deviation from source material, in fact originality is something to be praised, however, every point I can think of where The Invincible Iron Man loses its grip on Marvel standards, is a point in which they've made the story worse, not different.

The film blends Eastern and Western styles quite nicely, but in reality they would have been better picking a focus and working from there. The fact that this cartoon markets itself as the "origin story" of Iron Man is just plain deplorable. But even if to view The Invincible Iron Man as a stand alone, the film is far from good.

I actually found myself wanting for more action sequences, which is generally the part of a movie I appreciate the least. Honestly the exposition was so indescribably weak that I can't in all seriousness recommend this to anyone. It's too disgracefully removed to impress Iron Man fans. It's too ridiculous and nonsensical to appease Sc-Fi buffs or cartoon enthusiasts. It's too racist and Western to work for anime-lovers. And it's to flat out boring to scratch the itch of those who came for violent robot fights.

It doesn't take much for a cartoon to hook me in, I'm simple that way, but The Incredible Iron Man was serious in the worst possible way, with clunky characters, limitless cliches and zero novelty. I was sincerely underwhelmed.

2.3 / 10
jim222001us
jim222001us

August 16, 2007
It plays a little like the 2008 live action movie in the beginning. But it's not as good as it. The villains are a little silly. Still, the movie is okay.
Chosen 7

May 5, 2008
Entertaining but not as good as the original animated series.
Jkcody971
August 31, 2014
This movie is a mess! They completely messed up the Mandarin, the CG was terrible, and Iron Man barely used his updated suit.
October 17, 2010
The story is silly and really dumb. Honestly Marvel has made a complete fool out of their best superhero. The animation is piss poor and honestly this movie has such a big Asian stereotype. I think the whole idea of Tony Stark's Iron Man origin was so stupid and honestly took way to long. I think that the live action movie was amazing but I want to restrain from comparing because they are two different movies. I really hated the idea of an ancient city and these spirits rising bullshit which is nothing I would picture in an Iron Man film. Honestly this is a real big steaming pile of ass, dicks and shit.
January 6, 2010
"The Invincible Iron Man" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

Not bad, but nothing fantastic either. I would rather have seen Iron Man and Mandarin's original origins instead of this new re-done one.
admiralmpj
July 7, 2010
Stick to the live action. This version bordered on being just a liiiittle bit racist. (How many Asian stereotypes can you squeeze into YOUR origin story?)
RachelJezel
January 29, 2010
Actually, I have seen part of this animated film (and Im a girl). Obviously, I am not going to get as much out of it as a guy would, but between this and the live action movie with Robert Downey Jr., I can honsetly say Iron Man seems like a decent hero. Plus, I like his suit--that red & gold looks stylish!
March 28, 2009
Tells a pretty good story even if it is based on the comic book (or perhaps it tells a good story because it is based on the comic book)
April 12, 2009
To be fair, I only watched half of this on Cartoon Network, but what I saw was just such utter and total nonsense and such a departure from what the character really is, that you would think that the people who greenlit this probably thought "hey only 5 year olds watch car-tunes; let'er rip!"
March 28, 2008
iron man is based on the marvel comic book. this is first time in the animated movie.
this film didnt bad...but it so pretty great of the superhero. tony stark is became a iron man. great opening credit to end credit.
it on based on straight-to-video.