The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse Reviews

Directors Cat
½ November 28, 2011
Even though i've never seen the TV series or had ever heard of it until now, it was actually quite funny. It might take you a while to get what's going on in the film but it's very witty and decently made considering its budget. The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse is stupid, disturbing and weird but at the same time it will suprise you in a good way.
October 1, 2009
This one is for hard core fans only really. It?s very self-indulgent by the League of Gentlemen but it?s also very original and quite brilliant. It keeps its well balanced blend of surreal comedy and horror and it succeeds where most film versions of TV series fail. That said, for me it did go off on a bit of a tangent and I was disappointed by a lack of screen time my favourite characters got. Still, all in all a good film!
gor41
½ August 20, 2007
A worthy big screen outing for Royston Vasey with lots for the fans to enjoy but perhaps lacking the darkness of the TV series.
garyX
½ June 2, 2007
It's not the measure of the first two series, but better than the third. And it's totally f***ed up in a rather inspired way! It almost reminded me of Time Bandits in places, which is no bad thing.
½ September 14, 2006
Once again a British TV show that was fantastic in half hour segments completely misses the mark. This is quite possibly the worst one of all. The writers may have thought they were being clever with their writing but instead it is just complicated and ridiulously stupid. There isn't a single laugh to be had, the only times I did laugh were forced. The League Of Gentlemen is reduced to fart, poo and other toilet humour. However they present it in such a crude manner it isn't funny. in fact Freddy Got Fingered had more laughs than this film.
½ December 20, 2012
Very clever indeed, but not as good as the TV series. I felt like it's the Holy Grail plus Valerie on the Stairs. Very unusual and with the small budget they created quite a brilliant piece of art. And there was a happy ending too!!!
DrLappos
½ June 20, 2007
The series is better.
½ April 29, 2007
Here, Here, What's all this noise? Are you Local? This is a local movie for local people, we have no time for your kind in here.
September 14, 2006
Big, funny, scary, weird, disturbing and brilliant. It's a classic (and classically strange) story of a person's (or, in this case, people's) creation getting out of hand and attacking the creator. Marvelous.
½ April 23, 2015
Unusually for a movie made from a TV series, it doesn't try to appeal to a different audience, in fact, if you haven't watched the show then you might get a bit lost. The comedy is good and the story is quite clever but I was hoping for more of the characters from the show, in fact I was hoping for an extended episode but this is not it. Still, it's a class series and this finishes it off quite well.
October 25, 2007
"You, my friend are, F-U-K-T, F**ked!" - Not one I watch all the time, but every time I watch it I enjoy it!
May 13, 2013
Se tostaron los escritores de esto
½ December 20, 2012
½ August 24, 2012
Extremely clever, extremely funny and extremely brilliant.
If you loved the TV series, you'll love this.
½ June 26, 2012
Not as good as the TV series, goes off on a tangent for three quaters of the movie, get series 1-3 and avoid this at all costs.
½ May 25, 2012
In this feature-length adventure based on the darkly hilarious TV series, the fictional world of Royston Vasey is facing apocalypse and the only way to avert disaster is for our nightmarish cast of local characters to find a way into the real world and confront their creators. From present day Soho to the fictional film world of 17th Century Britain, the residents must overcome countless bizarre obstacles in their bid to return Royston Vasey to safety by literally meeting their makers!

For everybody who doesn't know what The League of Gentlemen is, it is a dark comedy show that has bizarre yet funny characters living in a town named Royston Vasey. You might have heard of one of their characters, Papa Lazarou who is very well-known for his catchphrase "Hello Dave!". The story for the movie is basically brilliant, the residents of the fictional Royston Vasey come to our world to meet their creators to avoid extinction. The acting is superb, everybody involved in the movie did a great job as their characters (or as themselves for some). The characters were written very well and it had that feel that it was a TV show special which is a good thing for fans of the first series. The writing is great as was the direction and the script was good and very funny. There are some scenes in the movie that were okay but could have been done a little better but this is definitely a treat for the fans.

I personally like The League of Gentlemen. I watch the shows whenever they're on television and I own the radio show CD and the Live DVD but do I think the movie is as good as the first series? The answer to that question is 100% yes! The dark humour that made me love the television series is definitely there in Apocalypse and the movie has some really funny moments and the animation and CGI were done rather well but I have to say that the downfall of this movie was the ending. It was bitterly disappointing because the movie was done well and it was very funny but the ending let the movie down a little unfortunately. Also, there isn't enough Papa Lazarou, he's my favourite character but he was only in it for five minutes! Still, it's a darkly funny movie. If you're interested in this movie, I suggest you watch series one of The League of Gentlemen before you do so you know what you're about to watch since this is really for the fans. If you like dark and silly comedy movies or you're a fan of the show, then this is for you but if you don't, don't watch it.
Directors Cat
½ November 28, 2011
June 7, 2011
such a brilliant film! so much work went into it, and if you're clever, you'll be able to spot most of the in-jokes. Especially funny for fans of the TV series, but i think most of the jokes are accessible to anyone.
May 26, 2011
One of the most disappointing films I've ever seen.
March 27, 2011
My God, I've been a fan of the series since the very first episode aired, series three despite the change in style was incredible, but this film...
I wouldn't wipe my arse with this film, despite the impracticality of it.
The only bit that even made me smile was Geoff kneeling and saying "did you hear my knees crack?".
If you love the three series' as much as I do and are fortunate enough to have not seen this, do yourself a favor and AVOID at all costs!
The premise alone should be enough to keep you away.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!