The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello Reviews

FanGirl
½ December 6, 2008
Extremely impressive. Unique animation style (sort of a mix between James and the Giant Peach and The Adventures of Prince Achmed) and a really interesting story. I loved the look of the creature and the plague. If you get the chance check it out.
March 18, 2012
I struggle to find a true flaw in this beautiful short film. At 26 minutes run time, we experience a lovely tale of woe. A tale of horror and darkness. A trip that I usually avoid as far as cinema goes. But this is a masterpiece.

The title is a mouthful, and likewise, there's a lot of food for thought in this short film that will entertain the mind for hours.

The animation style is unique and beautiful. It appears to be both 2D and 3D at the same time, with each character being nothing more than a mere silhouette. The film is composed of black, white and grey colors. Occasionally, there is some red. I can't imagine a better looking short film.

The music is, likewise, amazing. It's mysterious, and sets a marvelous tone for this work of art.

There are relatively few characters, and only three have definitive personalities. The character development is a little fast, but this is most likely a result of the short running time.

There is little humor in this short film, if any. Only bleakness, and utter darkness. This is by no means, something for younger children. What this really is, is a masterpiece, made for those old enough to swallow it.

If you are ready for the horrific tale of Jasper Morello, wait no more; you won't be disappointed. I wasn't.
March 21, 2009
This movie is amazing. Even thought the animation is not "state of the art' it captures the essence of Steampunk. This in itself it an amazing feat since so few movies have done so. The story leaves you wanting more. I can not wait until the Director releases the other films in the series.
½ February 10, 2007
Very well made animation short film. Nominated for a couple of awards. Defintiely worth a watch if you get the chance.
½ July 29, 2012
Totally excellent animated steam punk.
½ April 3, 2012
It's a mesmerizing short film. One of the best, if not THE best, short film I've ever seen.
March 18, 2012

February 16, 2012
Interesting shadow movie with classic steampunk theme, and a dark edge.
½ December 15, 2009
sweet style. adequate story. liked the feel +05
½ September 5, 2011
A steampunk masterpiece.
½ June 29, 2011
The time changes are abrupt and the story at its heart has been done before. The visuals are quite impressive, and the details are imaginative.
January 25, 2011
This animated short is a dark and well-crafted adventure. It takes place in a gothic Victorian world where explorers use steam-powered, iron dirigibles to explore mysterious islands floating in a vast, unexplored sea of clouds.
½ January 9, 2011
this relatively obscure gem of a movie is one of the most impressive animation works of the decade..no it doesnt have the visuals of disney or pixar but they made their limitations their strong point.made almost entirely out of cutout and silhouettes..steam punk masterpiece..and one dark as night movie...
July 9, 2010
Un cortometraje unico, su animación, su historia, excelente.
½ September 4, 2009
This is without a doubt the best short film I have ever seen. Twenty-eight short minutes that can easily best many of the recent feature-length releases. An excellent must-see.
½ April 13, 2009
Terrific Aussie short that looks like Balinese shadow puppetry gone Steampunk, with subtly macabre undertones that evoke Poe and Lovecraft while not being overtly mythopoetic.
½ April 10, 2009
Australian short story gothic animation set in a parallel world which deserved the 2006 Oscar nomination. The lead character Jasper's a tortured navigator who's sent on a mission in a flying ship to find the cure for a mystery illness.

Visually it's wonderfully animated with the characters drawn as silhouettes against wonderful backdrops. A much appreciated surprise. Now I have to find it on BluRay!
March 28, 2009
Nice animated feature, visually rich and with a beautiful steampunk look.
The plot is simple and still enjoyable. Recommended to all animation lovers.
March 19, 2008
Steampunk in silhouette animation. Wicked!

26 March 2009