17% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

The One Reviews

Albert K

September 8, 2011
Wow... absolutely horrible. Can't even describe how horrible it was. Do not watch this crapfest.
Alexander D

July 15, 2011
As good as this looks, this movie is an awful, awful, AWFUL film. And I am NOT exaggerating. Very little action is good, and the dialogue actually SOUNDS like people reading off of a piece of paper.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 8, 2009
Stealing the power of the universes one by one.

An OK movie. More Jet Li action, not much different from his other roles. The movie was a little confusing to me but nevertheless nothing really appealed too much to me. The special effects didn't look so special and the acting wasn't there either. This movie is for Jet Li fans. The last fight between the 2 Jet Li's was pretty good I gotta admit but that was it. Nice cast but not used to there full extent.

There is not one universe, but there are many, which is a multiverse. Supposing you are just one person, there are many other versions of you in the other universes, there are ways to travel, but only a police agency,MVA, can travel only for police procedures. Gabriel Yulaw is a former MVA agent, who killed another version of himself in self-defense. It made the other versions of him stronger. When Yulaw found out about this, he became power-hungry killing the 122 other versions for two years. After killing Lawless and getting captured by his former partner Roedecker and a new MVA agent Funsch, Yulaw managed to escape the prison and is trying to kill his last target, Gabe Law who is a police officer. He is also at Yulaw's strength. Roedecker and Funsch now have to arrest Yulaw before he can kill Gabe. There is a possibility that the universe could die or make Yulaw invincible. After encountering Yulaw for the first time, Gabe thought that it was his split personality, but it wasn't. Will Gabe be able to confront Yulaw before or after Yulaw ruins his life?
garyX
garyX

April 28, 2007
A former agent who policed the various different universes finds that killing the other versions of himself increases his own abilities and so sets out to murder them all and become a super being. On paper, this interesting alternate reality premise and the idea of two Jet Lis battling each other sounds great, but the workmanlike direction and unimaginative plot turns it into an unrelenting exercise in mediocrity. Essentially a shoddy Matrix clone, the action sequences are clumsy and unexciting and the cast struggle with their cardboard cut out characters, especially Jason Statham who is saddled with a wholly unconvincing American accent. This kind of meat and potatoes generic sci fi flick should be left to keeping the likes of Mark Dacascos in leather trousers; like all of the other Asian stars who get lumbered with similar second rate projects in their attempt to break the US, Jet Li is above this.
Jon L

January 12, 2011
Interesting idea. Sa it so long ago I can't rememeber how good it was though.
Lanning :

November 30, 2010
Jet Li fighting Jet Li -- what could be better? Well, it could have been better. Like with a better story. But I'm glad I saw this. I gotta definitely get me one of them hand-held worm hole detectors. I've always thought that if there really were parallel universes that I'd like to get into one where I might actually be doing good. Whatevahs. Jet Li fans, no matter what they hear or read, A. Shouldor B. Should not see this one. I guess it really depends on what universe you're in. Pick one accordingly, and then pray and knock on wood.
KJ P

September 25, 2010
The One is pretty poor, considering the talent that Jet Li has brought to the table over time. This film has nothing going for it, and should be forgotten about, because it's just not a good film at all!
Conner R

August 8, 2010
It feels like an early nineties action movie, but I love early nineties action movies. Seeing Jet Li fight himself is just weird and cool at the same time, it's truly an outrageous plot in the same vein as Highlander and Timecop. I love the atmosphere, the Jet Li one-liners. Jason Statham is just a bonus to the already rewarding movie. It's not exactly an academy award winner, but it gets points for being original and unique. You don't see many movies like this anymore, which is a shame.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 2, 2009
an interesting story with dissappointing execution
James A

June 17, 2006
Its as if someone made a Van Damme movie entertaining.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 3, 2008
When I saw this in the theater I thought it was amazing, in retrospect its a little wanker of a film.
Lafe F

July 6, 2007
A cool concept dealing with parallel universe versions of Jet Li. The concept is very interesting. There's plenty of action to carry the movie.
Dean !

March 24, 2007
Quite a good early Jet Li movie as he has to take on himself to become The One!
Jason S

December 28, 2006
Interesting and a good action flick.
Aaron N

June 21, 2006
Yulaw: I am Yulaw! I am nobody's bitch! You are mine.

Maybe if the movie had a better sense of humor it would be a better movie. Nifty special effects and a hardcore soundtrack don't help this movie. There are so many holes in this plot that I just feel bad for the cast. Jet Li does a decent enough job, and of course his fighting stuff looks cool, but it's not as much fun if I know that he is having CG help when he is a first class martial artist. A neat concept, but mainly just falls flat.
deano
deano

November 15, 2006
Jet Li vs Jet Li!! This is quite great action-sci fi.
Dann M

May 2, 2013
It's Jet Li vs. Jet Li in The One. When an outlaw attempts to gain godlike powers by killing off other versions of himself throughout different universes to absorb their energy, two agents are sent to capture him before he can become the One. Co-starring Jason Statham, Carla Gugino, and Delroy Lindo, the cast is pretty good. However, there are some issues with the special effects; which have trouble visualizing the powers of the characters. And while the science fiction elements are quite interesting, the film doesn't really explore them in any depth. Still, the fight choreography is impressive and exciting. Light on story but heavy on special effects, The One is a solidly entertaining action film.
Kevin M

August 15, 2010
Terrible. The action was alright, but the extremely cheesy story, dialogue and music overpowers any hope that this movie ever had.
Steven V

April 20, 2007
Awesome. It interesting behind the scenes where he talks about the dual roles and how he reflected their opposing natures in his fighting style.