• PG, 2 hr. 38 min.
    In Theaters:
    May 3, 2005 Wide
    On DVD:
    May 3, 2005

Movies Like The Real Glory: Reconstructing 'The Big Red One'

62% The Maze Runner Sep 19

The Real Glory: Reconstructing 'The Big Red One' Reviews

deano
deano

April 26, 2010
This release gave Lee Marvin his best performance in years. As a grizzled sergeant leading a platoon of "wetnoses" into the dangers of battle, he's excellent. Based on writer-director Sam Fuller's personal reminiscenes of World War II. It's a terrific war movie as I watched it on DVD with the adding 49 minutes to the original 1980 theatrical release.
The script is a feat as a story of the stead-fast progression of the soldiers from North Africa to Germany. In the cast, Robert Carradine is in a performance of insight, amusement, and is a crucial piece to the film. And Mark Hamill is a brilliant arc as sharpshotter, and in the "cremation" scene, he proves he is far more valuable and compelling an actor most would give him credit for.
March 14, 2008
possibly the most underrated WWII movie ever. plus, it's interesting to see mark hammill with an M1 gerand instead of a lightsaber.
December 25, 2007
Dare say I like the original better. The restored Fuller film looks fantastic but has a certain B movie charm. That's not to say the film is sub par, it's smart and well-constructed. I just don't see the need for the re-edit.
July 11, 2007
I loved the original, but this? Wow. And seeing it in a theater was incredible. I must see more Sam Fueller films! O_O
May 25, 2007
You have to watch the Reconstruction. It's a masterpiece. Shows how a film studio can destroy a filmmakers vision.
September 28, 2012
Awesome movie to begin with, this version is a bit lengthy, however you just cant turn away from it. Sam Fuller gave us the extremely accurate depiction and is a must see.
March 9, 2011
This is a "Feature" film, NOT a Documentary!!!