The Real Glory: Reconstructing 'The Big Red One' Reviews

August 10, 2007
***This review is for the reconstruction version of the film.***
Really great war movie from a director that I had never heard of before seeing this film. The main reason I watched this was I saw that it had Lee Marvin and Mark Hamill of all people, so I thought it would give it a chance, and I am really glad that I did. The Big Red One is an excellent film, with probably the most versatile acting of Lee Marvins career, and Mark Hamill did a amazing job, doing his best work outside of the Star Wars trilogy. The story and direction are very good and from what I have read it was actually based on the real account of Samuel Fuller from when he was a solider, and I think that helps with the feel of authenticity. All in all this a war movie that is very under seen and under appreciated and that is a pity considering it is so good.
December 7, 2012
May watch...
September 28, 2012
Awesome movie to begin with, this version is a bit lengthy, however you just cant turn away from it. Sam Fuller gave us the extremely accurate depiction and is a must see.
March 9, 2011
This is a "Feature" film, NOT a Documentary!!!
June 19, 2010
Fantastic war flick. Set up in WWII, The Big Red One squad went through europe (Belgium, Italia, Deutschland) until the conflict was over. They were up to killing not to be killed before even understanding what the fighting was about. Starring Lee Marvin, Mark Hamill and Robert Carradine.
deano
½ April 26, 2010
This release gave Lee Marvin his best performance in years. As a grizzled sergeant leading a platoon of "wetnoses" into the dangers of battle, he's excellent. Based on writer-director Sam Fuller's personal reminiscenes of World War II. It's a terrific war movie as I watched it on DVD with the adding 49 minutes to the original 1980 theatrical release.
The script is a feat as a story of the stead-fast progression of the soldiers from North Africa to Germany. In the cast, Robert Carradine is in a performance of insight, amusement, and is a crucial piece to the film. And Mark Hamill is a brilliant arc as sharpshotter, and in the "cremation" scene, he proves he is far more valuable and compelling an actor most would give him credit for.
January 10, 2009
Documentary about 'The Big Red One' that comes with the reconstruction 2 disc DVD set. Typical interviews with all the actors involved and people talking about the process of adding the deleted scenes to the original movie to bring it closer to what Sam Fuller originally had originally intended.
December 8, 2008
no thanks not my thing
½ August 27, 2008
I appreciated it, but it didn't touch my heart. But I want to see other Fuller's movies.
May 24, 2008
A MORE COMPLETE FILM THAN THE ORIGINAL VERSION.
March 14, 2008
possibly the most underrated WWII movie ever. plus, it's interesting to see mark hammill with an M1 gerand instead of a lightsaber.
February 4, 2008
May watch...
½ January 28, 2008
Not your usual war movie, has more to do about being a soldier at war than about war action. Some run-of-the-mill scenes and plot points but then there are some traces of authenticity and wisdom shining through.
½ December 25, 2007
Dare say I like the original better. The restored Fuller film looks fantastic but has a certain B movie charm. That's not to say the film is sub par, it's smart and well-constructed. I just don't see the need for the re-edit.
October 14, 2007
One of the top five WW II pics every made
½ August 25, 2007
Yes,the reconstruction.Much longer and much better.
July 11, 2007
I loved the original, but this? Wow. And seeing it in a theater was incredible. I must see more Sam Fueller films! O_O
May 25, 2007
You have to watch the Reconstruction. It's a masterpiece. Shows how a film studio can destroy a filmmakers vision.
May 17, 2007
One of my Favorite war movies, Lee Marvin in the part he was meant to play
½ May 2, 2007
A bit boring sometimes but a quite good movie.