92% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

44% Working the Engels: Season 1

The Revenant Reviews

Emily A

September 21, 2009
I am so happy to have seen this! This was the best film I saw at Toronto After Dark. For all those out there that are sick to bloody death (heh) of romantic touchy-feely vampire movies (whose titles rhyme with "skylight"), this is the film for you. A guy who wakes up on the night of his funeral to find that he's some sort of articulate zombie and makes his way back to his best friend's house. From there the pair piece together thier situation and do thier best to keep Bart "alive". Chris Wylde and david Anders have such great onscreen chemistry and it's very easy to believe that they're old friends. The effects are great, the jokes land squarely and the premise itself is wonderful. My only complaint might be that it stops being a comedy at one point, becomes full-on horror and never really comes back from the dark side. The very ending is pretty funny though, and I really can't wait to see this again when it comes out in theatres. I really really hope it gets a theatrical release. This is sure to become a cult hit.
Francisco  G.
Francisco G.

October 30, 2012
A wildly uneven movie that works for the most part, with some really well pulled gags and others which are just a big miss. Worth a shot.
March 12, 2013
I was very hesitant about this movie: it sounded like a horror-comedy version of Bob Clark's classic Deathdream (aka Dead of Night) with a bit of Boondock Saints thrown in for good measure. And it is all of those things to one degree or another, but it rises above its influences to become something truly unique. A hilarious, intelligent, and splatterific film, The Revenant combines elements of vampire and zombie mythology together in its story of a young soldier who is killed in Iraq. After being shipped home, embalmed, and buried, he eventually claws his way out of his grave. Soon, he inadvertently becomes a vigilante who kills criminals in order to feed his blood lust. Dark, funny, twisted, and even somewhat unsettling, The Revenant's final twist and shot are masterful, and the film ultimately uses the vampire as a metaphor for the kind of warmongering that feeds on the blood of others.
Hamee
March 17, 2013
I have to give this movie credit for gore-filled originality. I really liked the ending, it was so warped.
December 21, 2012
this is a horror comedy that works well because it doesn't attempt to be the same stale zombie/vampire film we've seen before
September 23, 2012
A man comes back to life not quite a zombie not quite a vampire. Maybe a cross between the two. The undead man eats a few people to survive and shit goes quickly downhill. This is much more of a comedy than a horror flick.
June 8, 2014
The movie is sold like a comedy. The idea is pretty interesting, however the movie is too long and it is not funny at all. Ok, I could smile once or twice, but it does not worth to watch it, unless you have time and nothing else better to do.
February 24, 2014
My wife is not normally fond of this genre and she liked it - that is high praise . It's funny , gory, and quite inventive . You will not soon forget the scene with the sex toy .
February 6, 2014
This is certainly darker than I would normally expect from a dark comedy, but it is a lot of fun. If you're looking to have a lighthearted laugh, this movie is not for you. The morale I got from this movie is that, you may feel on top of the world when you're having fun, but you will have to come down eventually and when you come down, you will come down hard.
Sarfaraz Abbasi
September 18, 2013
The Revenant zombie/horror/comedy film written and directed by Kerry Prior. Starring David Anders and Louise Griffiths.

Bart (David Anders) a U.S. soldier is killed Baghdad night ambush. His body is shipped to his home in the U.S. he receives a funeral. He crawls out of grave at midnight as revenant (a cursed soul who wonders for the thirst of blood). He startles his friend, who ultimately joins him by helping him to live on blood else he should start decomposing/rot. Thus, he chooses to be vigilante who saves women from being raped and people from being mugged - here is what he does to his victims, he drinks the blood of his victims (he declines to kill innocent).

Good idea from start till the end movie does not let you go disappointed in its delivery of plot. Actors have performed equally, managing to grip on its humor side, as well as perfect enclosing of situations. It looks the film has taken some inspiration from Death Wish and some other notable flicks such as RoboCop (although nothing of this sort of factuality has been approved by the filmmakers). Overall, I think the movie has been well-crafted, what actually attracted me more toward this was the clarity of graphics like severed head and arms (no stupid errors like you seldom find movies of b-category in this genre).

Go ahead and have a marvelous entertainment almost close to Shaun of Dead.
September 15, 2013
Pretty silly"..so bad it's good kinda film. Some great moments though....not a bad gorey cheesy rental....
September 15, 2013
The Revenant is freaking awesome. Such a crazy movie!
September 7, 2013
The film is a roller coaster ride. There were so many moments when I had to bite down hard on a pillow to keep from screaming so as not to wake the neighbors. Underneath all the gore and shock moments there were some very deep ethical and philosophical questions being asked. A very satisfying movie.
September 6, 2013
this is an amusing B-movie...sort of like a Boondocks Saints meets Re-animator.
August 18, 2013
A different take on the zombie film. With influences ranging from SHAUN OF THE DEAD to THE TOXIC AVENGER to THE BOONDOCK SAINTS. THE REVENANT is a fun, and at times hysterically funny film that gets weirder and crazier the further it gets. Its deserving of its cult status.
August 5, 2013
The first half is pretty good, plays like a dark and funny cult movie. The second half is a complete mess, but at least it kicks up the gore and that is always enjoyable.
Alia
July 1, 2013
A vampire story that manages to stay believable throughout. In most of these sorts of tales, a point in the story arises in which disbelief disappears and fantasy overtakes reality. This one doesn't exactly do that; one doesn't have to have too much of an imagination to be convinced throughout that this is (or could be) happening in the "real" world. Its gritty portrayal of a soldier-turned-vampire, its slightly PTSD-reminiscent overtones, and at last its vampire "final solution" (I lol'd) will leave you convinced you didn't watch just another stupid vampire flick. Genuinely different and really out there. Give this one a shot.
June 16, 2013
It started off decently, but somewhere along the way it's like it lost it's way. Went from funny to not funny, then had an ending that was just ... bleh.