The Rocket - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rocket Reviews

½ June 21, 2015
An impressively made biopic about one of the greatest athletes of all time. Think it could've benefited from a bigger budget and R rating.
May 3, 2014
must see for any hockey fan!!!
July 19, 2011
A really really good movie. Did not think this movie was going to be this great. Awesome awesome movie!!!!
June 27, 2011
Sports movies are hard to do well. Athletes are gleaned to sport cliches when asked questions and often their life stories are, well, boring. Most sports-related movies, like the athletes themselves, fall into a similar pit of cliched over-the-top underdog scenarios where a team or player overcomes overwhelming odds to win or put up a good fight against a vastly superior team garnering the misfit(s) a glimpse of respect they deserve.

Le Rocket, takes a different angle (Its kinda hard to place the Montreal Canadiens as an underdog in hockey, plus as a Leafs fan I would have vomited if they had tried). This is the Biopic about Maurice Richard who became an NHL and French Canadian legend by not only playing the game better than anyone had ever played it before him, but by also being an outspoken critic of a league that held specific prejudices against French players.

Kudos to the filmmakers for using French and English interchangeably throughout, instead of English-with-a-French-accent for the French Canadian players and for also finding and using REAL NHL players who surprisingly did a great job acting (Who knew?). This is a great movie that I enjoyed completely and regardless of who you cheer for, when you see Maurice (Roy Dupuis) knock out Killer Dill (Sean Avery, LW for the NY Rangers 2010-2011) you will cheer.

A Classic sports movie
5/5
TheDudeLebowski65
November 18, 2010
The Rocket is an incredible biopic about Maurice "Rocket" Richard, one of the greatest hockey players of the 1940's and 1950's. Quebec actor Roy Dupuis delivers a terrific performance as the legendary Hockey player, and the film chronicles Richard rise in the NHL to become the player he is now regarded as today. Considering that this a film from Quebec, it is a very well done film with terrific acting, a great story and directing. The film has been said that it's the best sports drama since Scorsese's Raging Bull. The Rocket may not be as masterful as Scorsese's film, but it's close. Given time, The Rocket might become a sports classic. Fans of Maurice Richard will definitely be pleased and Roy Dupuis as Maurice Richard is simply brilliant. The film does a great job at showing the hardships and successes of Maurice Richard. The Rocket is a surprising film, that I thought wouldn't deliver anything truly great, but I was very wrong. This one of the best sports dramas that I've seen and its a film that really does pay tribute to Maurice Richard. Theres really nothing I can type here, that has been said before, The Rocket shows the triumphs of Richard (winning The Stanley Cup with the Canadians) and so forth. The Rocket given time will probably find an audience, and I sure hope this film finds one bigger than the one it has right now. This is a unique sports film, very different from the other sports films out there. Great acting, and a great story make The Rocket one of the most memorable films that you can see about asports icon. Considering its a film about Maurice Richard, its a film that every hockey fan should see.
October 13, 2009
Hockey, ice-hockey. It was something for hockey-goers or Quebecois; just one typical off a kind otherwise.
June 28, 2009
realisation habile de Charles Biname. Plus qu'un excellent joueur de hockey, Maurice Richard etait devenu un symbole de reussite, pour les ''canadiens-francais'' domines par les riches anglophones de cette epoque.
March 28, 2009
great hockeymovie. it just should have been longer, all the playing scenes are too short and there is too much skipping.. i kinda liked how it was done in french, but i just didn't understand a word of it.
January 11, 2009
The awakening of Québec's nation. An amazing movie, bilingual on top of it.
September 30, 2008
great story, its about hockey, and its about the Rocket, gold.
September 28, 2008
Great story. Great sports movie.
September 27, 2008
Awesome film. Despite the fact I'm usually not a fan of subtitles on live action films, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to follow along. In fact, I think the French/English dual usage was essential to how the movie played out and was brilliantly used.
September 22, 2008
Not a Habs fan, but a great movie none the less.
½ September 3, 2008
A Brilliant flick. Everything about it is well done. Stellar acting. The hockey scenes looked very authentic. An amazing look back at one of the greatest hockey players to ever wear a hockey jersey. A must see for all fans of the sport.
July 25, 2008
I waited a long time for this one, and finally got the chance to see it (Thank you, Netflix). It never came out in wide release here in the States, so I had to wait for the DVD. It was well worth the wait. It tells the story of Maurice "The Rocket" Richard, arguably the best player ever to play the game. He was the first player to score 50 goals in a season (back when they only played 50 games) and epitomized the "Flying Frenchmen" of the storied Montreal Canadiens golden era. The movie tells the story of his struggles to overcome the huge anti-French bias that existed in those days. He was constantly harassed; physically, verbally, and mentally by players from other teams and from league officials. It tells how he overcame these struggles and eventually, reluctantly, became a spokesman for French-Canadians. Roy Dupuis is outstanding as the fiery Frenchman and he's supported by a cast of NHL players like Mike Ricci and Sean Avery. This lends authenticity to the hockey scenes (which are breathtaking). I wish they would have spent a little more time on his youth to show why he grew up the way he was (which is only hinted at here), but other than that, the story is strong and easy to follow. It gave me even greater respect for one of the true legends of the game (which I wouldn't have thought possible). I watched it in English, and I watched it in the original French. I enjoyed both. If you like hockey even a little, you must see this movie. I promise you'll gain a new appreciation for the game.
July 26, 2008
This was a GREAT hockey movie. The movie does a very good job of portraying the highs and lows of Maurice Richard's career with the Montreal Canadiens in the NHL during the 40s and 50s. See this movie NOW!
½ July 23, 2008
for a canadian made movie about sport this is an amazing film. roy dupuis gets my vote for best Canadian actor.
July 22, 2008
Brilliant! Excellent telling of the story of Canadian and Quebecois hero, Maurice Richard. not only a hockey movie, but a film about the struggles of the Francophone community in middle twentieth century Quebec. A film that shows not only the dawning of a great hockey career, but also of a unique society. A must for all Canadians and hockey fans a like to watch. It shows the trials and glories of the greatest the game ever had. (Ok, Gretzky and Howe nuts. I know....)
July 20, 2008
One of my all time favorites. Hockey movies (at least in the states) tend to be comedies and it's not too often that you get a real drama with real hockey. This has both with excellent acting and some great re-enactments of historic moments in the NHL.
July 17, 2008
Not a big hockey fan but this movie was great. A sad but true story of a great hockey player who was bullied, beaten and insulted but still came out on top.