The Ruby in the Smoke Reviews

March 28, 2014
I did try to watch this because of the great British cast, but the story just didn't hold my interest. I had connection to this and had to stop about half way through.
Harlequin68
½ June 28, 2013
After the death of her father at sea, Sally Lockhart(Billie Piper) is reminded constantly of her lack of prospects. To distract her from a fate worse than death, she receives a letter from Major Marchbanks(Miles Anderson) which she brings to Higgs(Trevor Cooper) after which he promptly drops dead of a massive heart attack, which is not connected to the awful spelling or grammar in the letter. It seems Marchbanks has a journal for Sally which he gives to her shortly before his premature demise at the hands of Mrs. Holland(Julie Walters) who now has her beady little eyes set on her.

"The Ruby in the Smoke" is to be frank, a mess. This definitely feels like somebody tried to adapt a novel by trying to squeeze everything in without sacrificing anything in the bargain. Thus, at first, it is hard to tell what is going on, followed by major characters and storylines coming and going at will while a clear plot eventually materializes. And even in its criticisms of the British Empire and Victorian England, the movie takes a heavy handed route, even sounding like just another anti-drug screed at one point.
December 30, 2012
Started interestingly, but the storytelling got slightly confusing and one was wondering where is that person and whats going on..It is a tv-movie, this one was a nice historical adventure which looks like its been made with a low budget. Also, the story could have been far more intensive. Like this, the tv-movie was just somehow 'thin' - one could see that someone had seen a lot of effort but the story just wasnt intensive enough to keep the viewer interested. Repetitive, the same people and the same areas.
There's just nothing special. But it wasn't awful, just not that interesting. So much more could have been made of the 'Maharaja's gem', more people, more adventure, more danger. It was, well, a bit dull, but made with a genuine effort.
January 8, 2010
½ October 10, 2012
Very good! But the book is better!
March 25, 2008
I haven't read the book so maybe that's why I was very confused during this movie. I always felt I was missing something. Plus, I couldn't understand the actors half the time.
April 10, 2009
Again love it cause it has Billie in it but also i love the book and i enjoy mysteries
½ March 4, 2007
Billie Piper is rather surprisingly quite good, and the rest of the cast, particularly Julie Walters are great. The story though, is very complicated, and too much characters and facts and explanations are just thrown in way too fast. I think it's the kind of book adaptation that ought to be a little longer, or a little edited to make the plot more easy to understand.
January 15, 2009
½ September 1, 2008
Very good! But the book is better!
August 1, 2008
At times there were too many subplots which had been touched on that both I and the characters were either unaware of or that were so minor in their instances that they became a cause for confusion. Still, a very good script and excellent acting over all.
June 22, 2008
I wouldn't have thought of watching this, it was just on tv and i thoroughly enjoyed it. The mystery around sally's life is great
August 20, 2008
quite a good film, interesting drama with a good dective kind of story for it, its all about the past secrets and mystery of a ruby necklace and sally lockharts fathers death (piper). good characters played by good actors. not bad.
October 29, 2007
its a lot like the book which makes it really good
February 7, 2007
ive read the book so might as well see it translated onto screen
December 29, 2006
I really really enjoyed this BBC drama, i am going to buy all four books now! I can't wait for the other three programmes...JJ field is so gorgeous as well!