67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Average Rating: 3.5/5
User Ratings: 1,430

My Rating

Movie Info

This was the only directorial effort of Philip D'Antoni, producer of the action classic Bullitt (1968). Roy Scheider stars as Buddy Manucci, a New York City Police Department investigator running a task force charged with taking down criminals guilty of offenses that would get them a minimum sentence of seven years in prison upon conviction. Manucci's best street informant is Vito Lucia (Tony Lo Bianco), who double-crosses Manucci by using the lawman's secret list of Mob loan sharks to kidnap

May 23, 2006

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

Watch It Now

Cast

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

All Critics (5) | Top Critics (2) | Fresh (3) | Rotten (0) | DVD (4)

Good, gritty '70s action boasting one of the most exciting car chases ever filmed.

October 8, 2005
Fantastica Daily

Audience Reviews for The Seven Ups

Having produced the perennial cop drama classics The French Connection and Bullitt, producer Philip D'Antoni decided to direct his own entry into this genre. Oddly enough, this was his only film as a director for some reason.

The film follows a group of tough cops named after the minimum sentence the majority of the perps they go after would receive for their crimes. They work under the radar, kinda like a black ops group of sorts, and the tactics these guys use rival those of the thugs they're supposed to go after. Man, gotta love the hard-boiled 70s.

The plot is pretty standard, involving the mob, kidnapping, murder, and betrayal, and, while it's not quite as good as the two movies I mentioned earlier, it is nevertheless a pretty solid and enjoyable movie...definitely underrated.

Roy Scheider is in the lead, and, he's as reliable as ever, though, like this, movie, he's still pretty underrated. I unfortunately don't remember much of the performances from the others, but I doubt they were god awful or anything. As good as this movie is, I think what keeps it from being truly great is that it just doesn't have the charm or excitement (overall) to make it truly memorable.

There is one scene, maybe the only scene that most people seem to know of, that really shines. It's a car chase scene, and yes, it is cool. High stakes, high speed, great stunt work, and all done practically. There's some other good scenes, but none ever top this one, but at least it takes place in the middle of the film, instead of forcing the viewer to sit through tons of biuild up and putting it at the very end.

I'm running out of things to say without repeating myself, so let's just leave it as this being a good, though somewhat dull movie that could have been better.
October 30, 2012
cosmo313
Chris Weber

Buddy Manucci: I'm not gonna bag you. But I think you better think about this. You better worry about Kalish's pals and Festa's pals, because word has a way of getting around.
Vito Lucia the Undertaker: What are you talking about? You're gonna let them know?You can't do this to me, Buddy!
Buddy Manucci: No? You watch me!

A 70s cop drama. The plot isn't as involving as a movie like the French Connection, but it has a few things that make up for it. Mainly, the cool factor of Roy Scheider's character. There is also a pretty cool car chase a neat enough premise, and an ominous score for the movie. It's realistic to an extent, and has a a good guy movie feel to it as well.
January 11, 2007
DrZeek

One of the best produced police crime dramas of the early 1970s, tough, gritty and taut, it concerns Buddy Manucci, played vividly by the late Roy Scheider who delivers a compelling performance as the head of a secret elite undercover police squad called 'The Seven-Ups,' who is investigating a series of mobster kidnappings for ransom by two men masquerading as plain clothes cops
May 28, 2011
Dannyrovira

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Seven Ups on our Movie forum!

What's Hot On RT