Shadow Reviews

October 10, 2011
Downright nightmare inducing. This movie started out rather benign, but after a half hour or so it makes a serious left turn. The character played by Nuot Arquint is...well...hideously awesome. I have no idea what part of hell he came from, but, I hope he crawled right back after making this movie. The ending was very Jacob's Ladder, but still a very interesting one all the same.
February 22, 2012
Other than the very obviously anti American Military propaganda of the film, this is a pretty damn entertaining and sick horror film. This villain is deeply disturbing, and does some pretty cruel stuff to his victims.
January 30, 2012
Shadow (2009) -- [8.0] -- What a pleasant surprise! Crazed hunters pursue an American mountain cyclist through the misty Austrian wilderness until all parties fall prey to a super-sick and twisted, almost supernatural character referred to as Mortis. Director Federico Zampaglione puts a few fresh spins on this mash-up of familiar tropes and proves downright masterful at building atmosphere and suspense. The scenes involving Mortis (Nuot Arquint) are a rare treat for horror fans. I'm hard pressed to think of many more bone-chillingly creepy performances than his in this film -- it's right up there with Max Schreck in "Nosferatu." The film gets more dreamlike and interpretive as it goes, but never so much as to diminish how genuinely spooky it is. Highly recommended; one of the best indie horror films I've seen in years.
January 19, 2012
A stylish and intelligent take on the torture genre, Shadow follows a veteran of the Iraq war trying to forget the horrors of war on a mountain biking tour in Europe. After meeting a beautiful young fellow biker (the actress from Frontiers), things seem to be on the upswing for him until they meet a gang of backwoods hicks. The film seems like it will turn into another Deliverance or (more likely) Wrong Turn, but it takes a decidedly darker, more sinister turn, and original turn that simultaneously plunges the soldier back into even more traumatic experiences while also calling upon his survival skills. Not quite brilliant, Shadow is a lean, intelligent, gritty, and brutal piece of independent horror cinema that once again demonstrates the power of IFC's horror line-up.
½ November 12, 2012
Shadow (2010) handles deeper themes and issues than it lets on, which is surely a good thing because as far as plot goes it's pretty standard fare. To my knowledge no other film has treated PTSD disorder in quite the same way. It adds value and depth of meaning to a crumbling genre, and aesthetic value through reflection that lingers on well after it is finished. While the events of the story are easily forgotten, the principal flaw with the movie originates not in its conception but in its execution. On the one hand, it's a bad case of writer/director displaying excessive devotion to certain obvious genre conventions and stereotypes; on the other hand, the weight of subservience only serves to heighten the sensation that something is amiss. Too bad. Nevertheless, for gestalt's sake, it's worth it to be able to observe all the strands in the final act of coming together.
½ September 21, 2012
Well, I had high hopes for this movie, but those hopes very very short-lived. The movie starts out okay, and it looks like it will go somewhere even though there are holes big enough to pilot an Iowa class battleship through. For example, when the main character David and his new friend Angeline are ambushed by rednecks, David gets shot in the arm. His entire forearm should have been shattered, but with a little gauze, he is just fine. Later, the rednecks strike again and Angeline gets one in the face with pepper spray, giving her and David the upper hand. So, David, supposedly a battle-hardened combat vet, does something incredibly stupid. Instead of taking the opportunity to kill the rednecks or at least take their weapons, he decides to run off with Angeline......leaving all their equipment behind. So, something doesn't seem quite right about David's behavior.

Eventually David, Angeline, and the two rednecks are taken out by some unseen being in the incredibly foggy woods and they end up tied to tables in what looks like a run-down hospital. So, then there are some gratuitious torture scenes without any explanation. David gets free and sets the rednecks free. The rednecks run into traps and are killed. David explores his surroundings, apparently looking for Angelina. He walks past a portrait of Stalin and then finds some films of Hitler. I guess we are supposed to conclude the torture guy is a Nazi of some kind. Maybe he's a modern day one or maybe he is somehow left over from WWII but didn't age. Whatever, it doesn't really matter. David wakes up in a field hospital in Iraq. Everything was a dream.

So, the movie is basically a lame ripoff of Jacob's Ladder, mixed with a little Deliverance, Hostel, and The Hills Have Eyes.

It's not worth watching. But it's a foreign film......I should've expected subpar.
½ May 6, 2012
Stupid movie - and when I say stupid I refer mostly to the writing. The main characters, who are on mountain bikes in the middle of the wilderness, decide to use the roads to escape a couple of men bent on hurting them. They do this not once, but twice. Later, one of them will limp from danger using the road, while being chased by a vehicle. I don't have sympathy for/can't relate to characters and bad writing like this. NOBODY with half a brain would ride/run where a vehicle could easily follow them, if they had other options. I won't watch a story that involves idiots like this. If you cannot write better stories than this one, you shouldn't be making films.
½ May 3, 2012
I wasn't able of getting involved with the characters, especially the villain, I found him quite boring and predictable, but I kinda appreciate the efford.
November 21, 2011
could see the ending coming from a mile away
February 17, 2011
Not nearly enough Nuot Arquint, or toad licking.
November 4, 2011
Pretty gruesome and very scary at times, but the ending is a copout and the writing is subpar.
November 1, 2011
A decent little ride, nothing that you've never seen before, but still done with enough charm. The ending creates a lot o plot holes, but at the same time is was the best way to end the movie.
October 1, 2011
Horror perfettamente diretto dall'italiano Federico Zampaglione. Ottima sceneggiatura e attori bravissimi per una pellicola che gi dalle prima immagini promette un atmosfera inquietante e al tempo stesso affascinante. Da non perdere per gli appassionati di genere e non...
June 5, 2011
Shadow is the kind of film where you think you know what's going on but you really don't. The first 30 minutes of the movie is a bit sow but the last 45 minutes or so become very intense and the twist at the end caught me off guard.
May 15, 2011
Shadow~? 1/2 1/2 ? 3/4大 1/2~?-(TM)乻 1/2"? ??-'~第次< 氣>就蠻失-~
½ May 9, 2011
A waste of film, horrible.
January 10, 2011
Excellent movie,with a surprise ending you won't be expecting.