The Shortcut Reviews

blkbomb
½ July 25, 2012
The Old Man: Next time it will be your blood.

"Some Urban Legends Are Real"

The Shortcut is a very amateurish horror film. It's full of all the standard cliches of these wooded, teenage horror movies. There's a good looking cast, that can't really act, a deranged killer, and not one, but two bad twists. In the end, it was watchable. I'll give it that, but still this is just another bad horror film. The only thing really notable about it, is that it was the first release from Scary Madison, a division of Happy Madison.

The Shortcut follows a group of friends who begin investigating the disappearance of a dog. There's an old man who lives in the woods around an area called The Shortcut. Kids are told not to venture in there, but like any teenager, that just makes it more enticing. The friends end up going back after the first trip doesn't prove anything. The second trip will definitely prove some things, but a couple of twists near the end will make you do nothing but shake your head. Especially the last one. I don't know if writer/director Nicholaus Goossen thought it would work because of the shock effect, but it just came off as another dumb twist for the horror world.

Honestly there isn't too much to say about this one. The two hot girls made the movie slightly easier to watch, but you should know what to expect from this one. It's a direct to DVD feature that doesn't really seem to know what it is doing. It is all just regurgitated plot developments and cliches. We've seen all this stuff a million times and let's face it, we will see it again. When you have a director that knows how to play with these cliches and developments, and use them against us; that's when you have a good film. Goossen doesn't, and The Shortcut is what we are left with.
Japes
August 7, 2011
This movie was really bad. It was like all cliches. Like the woods, the crazy man in the woods, the psycho children, etc. Seen it alllll before.

The cliches and underdeveloped actors is what makes this horror film like every other one in the world. It's boring and stupid. The biggest thing I had with this film was the editing. It was so sloppily put together. Like they had flashbacks just thrown in random places....I guess to give the audience some background information? But it was really inappropriate for the film. There was a backstory, but they had to use flashbacks in order to tell the story and the flashbacks were all crappily placed in the film. It was really stupid. I didn't like the flashbacks. The whole movie's plot wasn't neat and organized at all. First they were looking for a dog, then it turned into breaking and entering someone's house, then it turned into a "rescue" mission/murder scene. Didn't it occur to the kids just to ask the man in the house if he saw his dog? Or couldn't the kid have called the police to report the dead domesticated dog on the man's property? I mean do these kids think at all or are they just naturally dumbasses? The kids were dumb and in my opinion deserved to die.
½ August 15, 2010
The Shortcut isn't the typical B-movie slasher film you'd expect it to be. The movie actually has a plot, a decent story to follow, and a great cast. A great cast can be the difference in a film like this and they defiantly did a great job here. For decades, people had been disappearing from the woods behind Hartley Elementary and no one is sure why, but after something scared the shit out of his little brother, Derek (Drew Seeley) is going to find out what it is. Shannon Woodward of the Riches and James Franco's little brother give strong performances and some comic relief in support of Drew Seeley. Seeley is a newcomer to me, but his intensity was contagious and really helped me get into this film. I also really liked how they moved between modern day and what happened in the past. The seemingly innocent shortcut through the woods has a very interesting story behind it. It's somewhat believable and pretty intense. This is billed as a slasher film, but there isn't much gore at all, what there is doesn't come until much later in the film. The Shortcut won't win any awards, but it will certainly entertain you. It was fun and really is a lot more than it appears to be and I was pleasantly surprised.
½ July 28, 2011
Well, here it is. Happy Madison's very first horror movie, I never thought i'd see the day. Anyways, it was a descent horror flick. Nothing special here, pretty much an average horror plot about a group of teenagers thinking an old man is responsible for the town's recent murders. The scares were weak, the acting was ok, and the twist was alright. Nothing new here.
DrStrangeblog
September 28, 2013
A bad sign when the characters have to keep mentioning things like "That guy is so creepy" in order to create a foreboding atmosphere. Takes forever to get moving - time listed here says 2:25 but it only feels like that, in reality is not much over 80 minutes - which is unfortunate because there are a couple good late surprises in the story. That doesn't include the pretty dumb final scene, although there are hints leading up to it. Some pleasurably wonky acting mixed among a likable cast, with Dave Franco aping big brother James' dippy demeanor while sunny Katrina Bowden briefly showcases her million dollar stilts.
John2223
September 15, 2009
The cast and acting are really nice, the story is engaging with a good thrilling moments, the pace was very fluid and entertaining BUT it was a good movie until the end.
½ June 28, 2013
A moderately entertaining slasher film, The Shortcut has an alright premise and somewhat better than be-level acting, but it fails to deliver on the deaths and gore that are a prerequisite for a good slasher film. It needed to ditch the PG-13 rating and make things way more gory and sleazy.
½ June 14, 2012
better then what the average person has rated it on here...
the movie was great but the ending was kind of lame. (pretty big twist)
i thought the acting was great and the whole mystery of what surrounds the forest which has the "no trespassing sign" is exciting.
a small boy is dared to go inside by the people at his school and as he goes inside his older brother and these high school friends of his get involved and end up spying on the crazy guy who lives inside.
December 3, 2010
this movie was rely good and i liked the ending to this movie as well. i hope they dont make a second one tho. then it wont b as good anymore....
blizzpirate
½ July 17, 2010
better then what the average person has rated it on here...
the movie was great but the ending was kind of lame. (pretty big twist)
½ April 30, 2010
Well, they took a silly plot, with a silly villain(s) and a silly payoff and somehow managed to make it at least a little creepy. With an added twist at the end that did absolutely nothing for the movie. More like a "gotcha! see you didn't have this completely figured out" kind of deal. I wouldn't have even bothered if it wasn't for Katrina Bowden. I should just stick to 30 Rock.
½ March 11, 2010
Now this was a pretty good one. I really liked the twist at the end. But I don't want to ruin it. So I would recommend this one. Not the best movie ever but it was ok to see.
½ January 29, 2010
I'm not really one to watch slasher flicks like this but I wanted to see it for Drew Seeley and my thoughts are different for three parts. The first part was slow and slightly boring, reminding me of just another teen movie. The middle was my favorite like when they were sneaking around his house. Then the ending... Horrible. Ruined the entire film. Was there any kind of moral to this film?

***SPOILERS***
I would have liked it much better if Derek acted differently and it wasn't the same cycle happing again.
November 5, 2009
I was hooked from the start till the 1st ending but the 2nd & final ending screwed up the whole movie for me
October 23, 2009
I stumbled up on this movie and it was a lot better than I expected it to be. It did make me jump once or twice and the acting was not half bad. I really enjoyed how it ended, I was not expecting it which was a nice surprise.
½ September 16, 2009
Better than average teen horror flick, the acting was actually pretty good, but it was predictable. It at least had a slightly different twist to it. Some decent scares.
September 6, 2009
BORING. Nothing of interest happened for the first hour and ten minutes, leaving only about 20 minutes of action. This was typical teen PG-13 horror-lite.
½ March 8, 2015
They went in a different direction and actually tried to build a story.Key word here is tried.
Robbanflix
September 19, 2009
A horror thriller movie or well its not quite horror enough in my opinion. The story is decent and similar to "Wrong Turn" in a way but that movie is like 1000x better if you want a horror movie. There are only uknown actors to me in this flick and its not the best performances aswell but for being a low budget flick its not to shabby in the end. Its a movie you can pick up if you are a huge movie buff like me.