91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

The Shortcut Reviews

DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

September 28, 2013
A bad sign when the characters have to keep mentioning things like "That guy is so creepy" in order to create a foreboding atmosphere. Takes forever to get moving - time listed here says 2:25 but it only feels like that, in reality is not much over 80 minutes - which is unfortunate because there are a couple good late surprises in the story. That doesn't include the pretty dumb final scene, although there are hints leading up to it. Some pleasurably wonky acting mixed among a likable cast, with Dave Franco aping big brother James' dippy demeanor while sunny Katrina Bowden briefly showcases her million dollar stilts.
September 22, 2013
Nothing really got going till the last 20 mins and even then this was scare free. Silly and pointless but ive seen worse
July 28, 2013
I Only Watched The Shortcut For Katrina Bowden And To Be Fair I Stared At Her The Whole Time.
June 28, 2013
A moderately entertaining slasher film, The Shortcut has an alright premise and somewhat better than be-level acting, but it fails to deliver on the deaths and gore that are a prerequisite for a good slasher film. It needed to ditch the PG-13 rating and make things way more gory and sleazy.
June 20, 2013
With Shannon Woodward (Raising Hope), Dave Franco (Scrubs), Katrina Bowden (30 Rock) and the story co-written by a relative of Adam Sandler, I had low, low, low expectations of this movie. Even so, I had expected something a little better.
John W.
June 18, 2013
For experienced horror fans, no real scares and a fairly obvious story hook, but for the tween set, it is a decently shot and acted entree into the genre with a fleshed out back story and some thought given to the characters.
blkbomb
blkbomb

July 25, 2012
The Old Man: Next time it will be your blood.

"Some Urban Legends Are Real"

The Shortcut is a very amateurish horror film. It's full of all the standard cliches of these wooded, teenage horror movies. There's a good looking cast, that can't really act, a deranged killer, and not one, but two bad twists. In the end, it was watchable. I'll give it that, but still this is just another bad horror film. The only thing really notable about it, is that it was the first release from Scary Madison, a division of Happy Madison.

The Shortcut follows a group of friends who begin investigating the disappearance of a dog. There's an old man who lives in the woods around an area called The Shortcut. Kids are told not to venture in there, but like any teenager, that just makes it more enticing. The friends end up going back after the first trip doesn't prove anything. The second trip will definitely prove some things, but a couple of twists near the end will make you do nothing but shake your head. Especially the last one. I don't know if writer/director Nicholaus Goossen thought it would work because of the shock effect, but it just came off as another dumb twist for the horror world.

Honestly there isn't too much to say about this one. The two hot girls made the movie slightly easier to watch, but you should know what to expect from this one. It's a direct to DVD feature that doesn't really seem to know what it is doing. It is all just regurgitated plot developments and cliches. We've seen all this stuff a million times and let's face it, we will see it again. When you have a director that knows how to play with these cliches and developments, and use them against us; that's when you have a good film. Goossen doesn't, and The Shortcut is what we are left with.
Todd S

August 15, 2010
The Shortcut isn't the typical B-movie slasher film you'd expect it to be. The movie actually has a plot, a decent story to follow, and a great cast. A great cast can be the difference in a film like this and they defiantly did a great job here. For decades, people had been disappearing from the woods behind Hartley Elementary and no one is sure why, but after something scared the shit out of his little brother, Derek (Drew Seeley) is going to find out what it is. Shannon Woodward of the Riches and James Franco's little brother give strong performances and some comic relief in support of Drew Seeley. Seeley is a newcomer to me, but his intensity was contagious and really helped me get into this film. I also really liked how they moved between modern day and what happened in the past. The seemingly innocent shortcut through the woods has a very interesting story behind it. It's somewhat believable and pretty intense. This is billed as a slasher film, but there isn't much gore at all, what there is doesn't come until much later in the film. The Shortcut won't win any awards, but it will certainly entertain you. It was fun and really is a lot more than it appears to be and I was pleasantly surprised.
June 14, 2012
better then what the average person has rated it on here...
the movie was great but the ending was kind of lame. (pretty big twist)
i thought the acting was great and the whole mystery of what surrounds the forest which has the "no trespassing sign" is exciting.
a small boy is dared to go inside by the people at his school and as he goes inside his older brother and these high school friends of his get involved and end up spying on the crazy guy who lives inside.
June 2, 2012
Maybe the movie should've been called something else because it really wasn't much to do with a Shortcut. But the movie did make me jump at parts, and the movie kept me guessing a bit until towards the end when you realise what has happened.
May 22, 2012
No fun? Well another useless slasher attempt.
January 14, 2012
The ending ruined it for me.
Bridgette Feliciano
January 8, 2012
it had me scream and yes it was so scarey!
johnnytangster
September 4, 2011
Well, it's atrocious. Unwatchable. It spends and ungodly amount of time on the kids hanging out together, not establishing character mind you, just with a camera sitting on them while they spit out the most inane teen movie dialog. It continues in neutral on Derek's attempts to get Christy which doesn't appear to take much wooing at all go get her. Even this doesn't appear to be a challenge. The movie is completely devoted to the teens for a good solid hour, in which no, zero, threat or challenge is presented. The stakes couldn't be lower. Outside of the Scary Madison logo, there isn't an ominous moment in the film. It seems I've officially given more thought to The Shortcut than anyone involved did. Sandler's cult following will find some reason to lap it up, but my hope is that The Shortcut does not become part of a series of Sandler produced horror movies. The story is awful, the script is worse, the production is worse than that and Shannon Woodward deserves a whole lot better.

VERDICT: "Some Ole' Bulls**t" - Second lowest rating (Negative reaction). These films are truly terrible films. They are not the worst things ever made, but they are definitely awful and should not be seen by anyone.
jarrad b.
September 4, 2011
Was an alright flick with the usual horror movie tropes. The ending was just a bit too far, but it had a half decent storyline
Japes
Japes

August 7, 2011
This movie was really bad. It was like all cliches. Like the woods, the crazy man in the woods, the psycho children, etc. Seen it alllll before.

The cliches and underdeveloped actors is what makes this horror film like every other one in the world. It's boring and stupid. The biggest thing I had with this film was the editing. It was so sloppily put together. Like they had flashbacks just thrown in random places....I guess to give the audience some background information? But it was really inappropriate for the film. There was a backstory, but they had to use flashbacks in order to tell the story and the flashbacks were all crappily placed in the film. It was really stupid. I didn't like the flashbacks. The whole movie's plot wasn't neat and organized at all. First they were looking for a dog, then it turned into breaking and entering someone's house, then it turned into a "rescue" mission/murder scene. Didn't it occur to the kids just to ask the man in the house if he saw his dog? Or couldn't the kid have called the police to report the dead domesticated dog on the man's property? I mean do these kids think at all or are they just naturally dumbasses? The kids were dumb and in my opinion deserved to die.
July 31, 2011
So bad, the attractive actress was the only reason I was interested in watching at all.....
Jacob P

July 28, 2011
Well, here it is. Happy Madison's very first horror movie, I never thought i'd see the day. Anyways, it was a descent horror flick. Nothing special here, pretty much an average horror plot about a group of teenagers thinking an old man is responsible for the town's recent murders. The scares were weak, the acting was ok, and the twist was alright. Nothing new here.
July 12, 2011
Pretty chill movie, not amazing but hey, it has a great plot line. I never found my self scared, but I did enjoy the movie.