Critics Consensus: The Social Network Is One Of The Year's Best

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got Internet pioneers (The Social Network, starring Jesse Eisenberg and Justin Timberlake), a juvenile vampire (Let Me In, starring Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit-McPhee), and a cree (Case 39, starring Renée Zellweger and Ian McShane). What do the critics have to say? In only a few short years, Facebook has morphed from a campus-wide phenomenon to revolutionizing the way that we communicate and share information. If The Social Network offers an embellished account of the site's genesis, critics say it's still a remarkable piece of filmmaking -- David Fincher's virtuoso direction and Aaron Sorkin's brisk, intelligent script make the Certified Fresh The Social Network on of the best-reviewed films of the year. Back to Article

Comments

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

Wow you are a moron. Have fun missing out on the best movie of the year. I bet your salavating over the next thing Micheal Bay brings out.

Oct 1 - 11:04 AM

Dave J

Dave J

It's only natural that "Facebook" subscibers would feel very negatvely about the film but anyone who saw the creator of Facebook on the news the other day were pointing out that he started "Facebook" by using deceptive practices settling actual lawsuits with real people- I "think" the settlement was somewhere between 16 million dollars which is absolutley nothing compared to what the so-called creator reeks in every year!

Oct 1 - 11:27 AM

Dave J

Dave J

And the shameless publicity to "distort" people from watching "The Social Network" by going on the Oprah show announcing a donation of a miilion dollars to education! This does remind me of the newspaper giant Randolph Hearst whose attempts to prevent people to not watch Citizen Kane- they're some obvious similarities!

Oct 1 - 11:36 AM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

I read an interesting article that put the movie in context with the real Zuckerberg's recent defensive actions (the sudden slew of interviews, the high-profile donation). It semi-jokingly pointed out that the Zuckerberg of the film would totally donate a million to a random education system just to save face really meaning it. In a way, by acting the way he is now, he's merely justifying Sorkin's depiction.

Oct 1 - 12:35 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

I meant to say, "just to save face, WITHOUT really meaning it"

Oct 1 - 12:36 PM

Dave J

Dave J

It's just been confirmed that it's 65 million and more is still pending!

Oct 4 - 11:01 AM

Dave J

Dave J

It's just been confirmed that it's 65 million and more is still pending!

Oct 4 - 11:02 AM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

So Buried was absolutely brilliant.

Oct 1 - 12:32 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Oct 1 - 12:35 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

I meant to say, "just to save face, WITHOUT really meaning it"

Oct 1 - 12:36 PM

Bryan Ferry

Mathias Grieve

I did say that my hatred colored my views, also, I said it is probably amazing.. Did you read all of my post? This type of thinking is what drives the world, it may not be logical in the least for me to not have any intention of watching this in the theater even though it has mass praise, but nonetheless, I'm not going to.

And you can pity me all you want, it won't change the fact that Fincher isn't getting my money this weekend *shrug* Go and enjoy the movie, but my disinterest in both the premise and the drama behind it isn't going to go away simply because you know it's "going to be amazing".

Oct 1 - 01:44 PM

Lando Griffin

ben keesing

As long as Inception doesn't win I'm fine

Oct 1 - 03:03 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

I hate to be a killjoy but positive critical reception or response does not automatically entitle a film to be the pseudo-Best Picture winner. I'm only saying that just so that everyone super excited about it being a guaranteed, sure-fire inclusion (or winner) should not get too carried away. Lets not forget that a movie like The Blind Side came damn close to winning BP not long ago, whilst other far superior films have never even received a nom.

All that aside, I am really, really looking forward to watching The Social Network, Let Me In and The Town when they finally manage to get released here.

Oct 1 - 09:33 PM

DoctorXeno

Jonathan Nono

The Oscars have a certain taste. A movie can be the most acclaimed movie ever, but if it's not their style it won't get nominated. TS3 will probably won't win, same with Inception.

The Oscars are pretty stupid, actually.

Oct 2 - 02:21 AM

Bye bye

Steven Bailey

If you're movie is really sad and uses a lot of downbeat violin music in the background during it's depressing scenes, you already have a good chance of being nominated for Best Picture.

If you're movie is about War or is based on a popular novel, you almost have it locked up.

Oct 2 - 02:10 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

The Social Network won't win. It'll be nominated and it'll be hyped up but like Avatar it's too nerdy for the Oscar Board to ever give it a trophy. Same with Toy Story 3 and Inception, they'll all be passed over for some movie that'll be released in November that no one will see.

Although in fairness The Hurt Locker was a really good movie so we may actually get a good Best Picture winner, it just won't be The Social Network.

Oct 2 - 03:04 PM

DoctorXeno

Jonathan Nono

The Oscars are pretty stupid, actually.

Oct 2 - 02:21 AM

Bye bye

Steven Bailey

Oct 2 - 02:10 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Oct 2 - 03:04 PM

Danetto

Dan Nikolaevskij

david fincher in a biopic/drama/comedy? i dont know...
and on top of all, justin timberlake as one of the main characters... sounds poor...

Oct 2 - 07:38 AM

Bye bye

Steven Bailey

Oct 2 - 02:10 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Oct 2 - 03:04 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Loved Eisenberg in Zombieland and wouldn't mind seeing him go on to bigger and better things but a film based solely around Facebook just sounds like a waste of my money and time and since he was the only reason I considered seeing it in the first place I'll be skipping The Social Network. Sorry Jesse but I'm not a big fan of Fincher and I spend enough time on Facebook as is, I don't need to pay to see a made up version of where it came from.

As far as I'm concerned I'll be saving all my movie going cash for True Grit in December. I am literally screaming like a little girl in anticipation.

Oct 2 - 03:00 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Eisenberg is definitely a talented actor and I am happy that his 'big break' has come from a film with a great script rather than choppy action sequences. Like you, Im definitely hoping it leads to much bigger and better things for him as an actor.

The only part of your comment that I disagree with, is that I cant wait to see it when it gets here :)

Oct 2 - 09:02 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Oct 2 - 09:03 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

"I don't need to pay to see a made up version of where it came from."

It's your loss.

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer