The Social Network Reviews

January 21, 2011
One of the best movies I've ever seen.
Nikhil N.
August 7, 2013
Great works of art define more than just what is on display. They define a culture, a generation. What makes The Great Gatsby such a monumental piece of literature is not just the story or the interesting struggle between characters. It is the fact that The Great Gatsby defines an era in more than one way that makes it such a great novel. The Social Network is the Gatsby of our time. The themes that persist in this movie are so culturally significant and spot-on that it would be cheating yourself to not watch this movie. The Social Network is superbly directed and acted. The story is brilliant. The soundtrack is perfect. In addition to being incredibly well-made and culturally significant, this movie is also wildly engaging and entertaining. The Social Network is the best movie of 2011, if not also one of the greatest triumphs in cinema ever.
May 20, 2013
Well acted and somewhat interesting. But I don't get all the hype.
FiLmCrAzY
September 18, 2010
A smart and brilliantly directed movie that tells a unique and yet wonderful story!
Heisenberg was fantastic and amusing with his bitter,forward thinking abruptness that was thoroughly enjoyable and funny!
A fantastic movie and one to watch!
shahmeer h.
June 26, 2011
The plot line or main theme to The Social Network is not what most people would think when seeing the movie. They might think it was business, or web development, or maybe even friendship (which was one of them). It's not about any of those, really. If you take a look at the movie, it really revolves around greed. And what is that the character's greed for? Money. Money is the main theme or plot line in The Social Network. It's just that. Friendship is indeed a very important theme, and a highly noticeable one, but it's really not the basis of it all. And when you have a movie with friendship AND money as two of the themes, you know you're getting yourself into a juicy ride. The Social Network's story is basically the making of Facebook. It has one main character, Mark Zuckerburg, but I like to think of the film as having two main characters, the other one being Eduardo Severing. These two characters make "Thefacebook", as it was called back then in 2003, and try to get "cool" or "popular" with it. But as the website gets more and more member's they start to hurl themselves into the dark its of business, suing, and of course, money. It starts as a simple idea for a website, to a crazy adventure to get rich. The acting within The Social Network is unbelievable. Basically, I'm saying this because of Jesse Eisenberg. When I saw him in Zombieland, I thought of him to be a so-so, comedy actor. I often mistook him as Michael Cera. He wasn't very memorable, and his acting could've been much better. But when I saw The Social Network, I realized he was more than a so-so comedy actor. He was amazing as a jerk-like college nerd, and he was spectacular. He came a long way from when I first saw him. Then there was the acting from Andrew Garfield. His character was personally my favorite. He brought kindness, loyalty, and trust to the chaotic business world of the film. I truly thought that he should've been nominated for Best Supporting Actor at the Academy Awards, just as Eisenberg got nominated for Best Lead Actor. Justin Timberlake also did well as Sean Parker, and I was happy to see Timberlake play a villain for once. It was interesting to see what he did with the character, and he made Sean Parker an evil, partying, businessman. The next thing I enjoyed from the film was the cinematography. The lighting in the film was excellent. It made the story seem very dark and full of sorrow. A few scenes were quite impressive with the cinematography, such as the scene Eduardo walks 20 feet just to throw Mark's desktop right in his face. Then, there was the Original Score. If there was one thing I hated at the Academy Awards this year, it was the win for The Social Network's score. Now, many of you will disagree on this, but really, it was just boring. If you listened to it on YouTube, all the pieces consisted of the same pattern and of nothing different. The most popular piece in the music of The Social Network was what sounded like a couple of bees buzzing, and then a few piano notes. It was good in the film at times, but it was also extremely annoying. And then the other part I disliked about this movie was the business terms. I'm no business man, and I really don't follow stocks, so I didn't very well understand what half the film was talking about when it came to the money-making issue within it. The film makers should've made the words or stock problems at least a bit more comprehendible for the average American. But on the bright side of things, there is the directing of the film. David Fincher, one of my all time favorite directors, directing The Curious Case of Benjamin Button as well as this film, is spectacular at his directing job. All his films should be nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards, and so should his directing. He was great at making this film, and I can't wait to see Behind the Scenes of it just to see how he made it all. In the end, this film truly deserved its Oscar Best Picture nomination, and it was close to winning the nomination, as well.
90/100
August 5, 2010
The story of the creation of Facebook is less a high tech thriller and more a success story and a tale of friendship and betrayal. A film that predominantly consists of conversations has to be able to rely on flawless writing and acting, and this is a masterpiece in both regards.
The dialogs are fast, witty and realistic, even though sometimes a bit chatty, giving the film an extremely smooth and entertaining flow.
The actors are outstanding. Jesse Eisenberg plays Mark Zuckerberg as a nerd with few social skills, an arrogant asshole at times, but still likable enough as a protagonist to follow for two hours. Andrew Garfield, now new-Spiderman, shines as his co-founder, best and only friend. Newcomer Armie Hammer is extremely convincing (also thanks to imperceptible special effects) in his double role as Winklevoss twins, who feel that the social network idea was stolen from them. Last but not least, singer Justin Timberlake plays Napster-founder Sean Parker with so much arrogance, wit and charisma, one has to wonder why he ever bothered with a singing career first. All these performances as well as the ones in minor roles, delivering all those amusing, interesting and realistic dialog lines are a pleasure to behold.
David Fincher's smooth direction and the outstanding cinematography weave it all together into an easy-flowing film and an intelligent commentary on our generation and era, that is probably easier to appreciate if you actually know your way around Facebook. Nine Inch Nail's Trent Reznor delivers a subtle, but perfectly fitting soundtrack.
March 3, 2013
With over 618 million daily active users as of December 2012, it's odd to imagine Facebook didn't even exist less than 10 years ago. The Social Network paints an image of a dishonest but driven kid behind the site's development, centering him around some of the people he left behind. Aaron Sorkin takes liberties in writing pathological motives for Zuckerberg that were not explicitly discussed in any of his released deposition transcripts, but a surprising majority of the actions in the story are indeed true. Sorkin and David Fincher delicately weave legal proceedings and computer programming into a drama full of brilliant, young and human personalities involved in a creation that has already significantly altered the course of human history.
Samuel Riley
June 25, 2012
'The Social Network' is a highly sophisticated film about the creation of Facebook. David Fincher has made another unique and clever film, but this time steps out of the dark atmosphere in his previous films. The main focus for this film is Jesse Eisenberg, who gives off a stunning performance that I class as one of the best of 2010. If you aren't the biggest Facebook fan, like me, don't be put off that its based around it and enjoy the intelligent script, ideas and performances.
June 29, 2012
A flawless example of proper, challenging modern filmmaking. Fincher and Sorkin are a winning team. This is a real benchmark in world cinema.
½ October 1, 2012
A true story that is so captivating as it is real. Social Network is sensationally played out from its young insinuating cast and crafty direction. The film is indeed a prime example of modern-day filmmaking in the 21st century. 4.5/5
zach l.
½ September 15, 2012
Amazing! David FIncher has done it again. Perfect script, great direction, and great performances, what else do you need? Social Network is a huge step forward for bio-dramas.
Market Man
½ August 18, 2012
Who knew that a film like this could be so entertaining? The acting by everyone is incredible. Gotta say, I had my doubts about Justin Timberlake, but he did a great job. "The Social Network" is stylistic, well scripted, and and gives us an interesting look into the creation of Facebook. Love the score by Trent Reznor.
May 6, 2011
Roteiro, direção e atuações imperdiveis. Um grande filme.
½ February 28, 2011
With a taut, expertly written script, beautiful acting from Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield, superb direction from David Fincher, and a great score by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, The Social Network is a riveting film about the birth of a media revolution. It's filmmaking at it's finest.
March 24, 2011
Funny and Dramatic. Great acting along with a near-perfect screenplay by Sorkin. This movie is very well directed, written and edited. Eisenberg and Garfield give Oscar (nominating) worthy performances. Modern film making at its finest.
March 25, 2012
There are not many insightful films like it, this an immediate contemporary classic, one that shines because it is an epitome of modern film making, using one intriguing story and fleshing it out with a great script, great pacing, great cast of actors, embellished by subtle music and simply brilliant cinematography.
March 24, 2012
Drama is not my type of film but i can make exceptions for this.
½ October 2, 2010
Props to David Fincher but how come he didn't win best director? This is by far, one of the most well directed and edited movies I have ever seen. The technicalities are so pinpoint meticulously accurate that I couldn't help but to fall in love with what the movie threw at me. And luckily, I was in for a good ride because the narrative was interesting and the screenplay was very sharp. So many things are done right with "The Social Network". I would almost like to say that it is perfectly made, right down to the music cues and camera cuts. This is a modern masterpiece. The only lacking aspect of the film would probably come down to the narrative and how it doesn't personally involve the audience into the emotional psyche of any of the characters on-screen. Which isn't to say that the movie was not entertaining -- I enjoyed the hell out of it.

There aren't many movies that come out these days that specifically base its storytelling on a pop-cultural phenomenon, but have such impeccable results, which is what "The Social Network" did. Its an almost flawless film that is extremely captivating as it is entertaining.
October 23, 2011
A very talking and informative film but obviously it's not clear what is true and what is complete fiction. Brilliant performances from Garfield and Eisenberg which ultimately makes Zuckerberg look like a strange and sometimes nasty loner.