The Storm Riders (Fung wan: Hung ba tin ha) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Storm Riders (Fung wan: Hung ba tin ha) Reviews

March 15, 2013
i had no idea what this movie was about nor did i care at all actually. but my friend came back from hong kong and he was like man you have to watch this. so we did and let me tell you it was great!! i found out later this was a popular comic in asia and they made it into a movie. i will say if you do watch this please bare in mind there special effects have not caught up to us yet here in the states.
½ January 20, 2013
Pretty stupid movie but it introduced me to the world of HK comics
June 6, 2006
Have a soft spot for this one. (I love RPGs and that's totally what this is like). Good directing, good cast. Weakness: doesn't evoke enough emotion.Watch if you're into: RPGs, video games, fantasy
December 7, 2012
Could be worth a viewing, would like to see it sometime in the future.
½ November 25, 2012
The decline of Hong Kong's once distinct brand of shoe string budget filmmaking could be (and by some has been) tied to this hotly anticipated wuxia epic based on the popular comic book series Wind Cloud.

An inadvertent but nonetheless caustic allegory for post-handover Hong Kong cinema Andrew Lau's "The Storm Riders" is a film divided by contradictions: The bubble gum cast is peppered with cameos from solid, established, reliable actors. The episodic nature of Manfred Wong's script despite a healthy two plus hour runtime is a thoroughly unelaborated upon odyssey that might have lived up to its potential as a 10 part TV mini series though once the film sets in this mess is hard to give up on. Comfort Chan's score which sounds as if it was lifted from a popular video game is a downright insult a la the underwhelming aesthetic quality of the overwrought CGI. Director Andrew Lau, who pulls double duty as the film's cinematographer, makes the most of China's natural beauty.

"The Storm Riders: The International Version" is dubbed in English and exorcises nearly 40 minutes of footage rendering an already inchoate film officially unintelligible.
November 2, 2012
-Too long, slow, bad effects, "slow-mo" lag
+Angles, costumes and scenery
½ October 11, 2012
Quite an entertaining mythical chinese fantasy film. It does relies a tad too heavily on visual effects though. The 2 male leads,Ekin Cheng as Whispering Wind and Aaron Kwok as the moody but dashing Striding Cloud were pretty convincing in their roles.
½ September 19, 2007
I remeber this movie when me and my cousin saw it back in the day, loved it! this brings back memories...
½ April 11, 2012
not much story lame music and even lamer EFX leaves me disappointed about this one
December 4, 2011
i liked the action but thats all there was the story really just stalls a lot
October 13, 2011
What a boring film. It is so sad, because I like Andrew Lau's films and the cast he works with, but this film suffered by so poor editing, a lot of plot holes (how did Cloud get his arm back?), and poor character development. Although it has a story, it doesn't get told very well.

Avoid this if you can.
December 20, 2010
An awesome fantasy from Hong Kong with some pretty incredible special effects about two brothers, Wind and Cloud, who must unite to defeat their evil step-father Lord Conquer!! Great movie that MUST be viewed in English subtitles only - the DVD doesn't give you any other options anyway!!
June 22, 2011
favorite childhood movie, cloud is my guy, wanted to b just like him lol
½ March 28, 2011
Enjoyed it as a kid but now I see that it's really lame.
February 16, 2011
(***): Thumbs Up

I'll admit that this film can be confusing at times, but I really enjoyed the action, and I found this to be very entertaining.
½ January 24, 2011
When I watched this movie,I felt like I'm reading the comic!!It's cool and fun,the plot of the movie is good although it did not follow the original story from the comic itself.
November 23, 2010
I saw this in 1999 after it first came out. One of the best stories would recomend to all. I still watch it every so often and never get tired of it.
September 28, 2010
i liked the action but thats all there was the story really just stalls a lot
August 12, 2010
Because of this movie I dye my hair blue and buy wuxia novels I cannot read.
½ January 18, 2010
Based on the hit Hong Kong comic book series of the same name, The Storm Riders is one of the most ambitious comic book Asian adaptation ever to work very well on the silver screen. Starring Aaron Kwok and Ekin Cheng as the leads, filled with fantastic special effects and a fantasy kung fu setting that will mesmerize any fantasy kung fu fans alike. Despite some flaws, give this a try and enter the world of The Storm Riders and be astound.