Capcom Aiming to Bring More Video Games (And More "Street Fighter!) to the Movies

Yeah, it's a pretty disrespected sub-genre, isn't it: the video game adaptation. And for good reason, I suppose, what with "Super Mario Bros.," "Double Dragon" and Uwe Boll among its achievements. But that's not stopping Capcom (creator of "Resident Evil," among many others) from taking a few new chances.

From The Hollywood Reporter: "Japanese video game publisher Capcom, which has licensed its original franchise "Resident Evil" to Impact Pictures and Sony Pictures, recently stepped into the movie production game with an original "Street Fighter" movie due in 2008. It is partnering with Hyde Park Entertainment on a new film that focuses on Chung Li, one of the most popular fighters from the game franchise.

Capcom is exploring the other end of convergence as well. After decades of creating such original game franchises as "Devil May Cry," "Lost Planet," "Dead Rising" and "Onimusha" (which has a film in development at Davis Films), it has hired Germaine Gioia to serve in the newly created post of senior vp licensing in its Los Angeles office. She will liaison with Hollywood to find properties that can work as Capcom games."

Click here for the full article.

Click here for a big list of Capcom's games.

Comments

Banana Kid

Johnny Estes

Will this lead to the Shaun of the Dead guy directing Dead Rising: The Movie? If so, I am IN. I will also be in if we get an animated Viewtiful Joe movie.

But if neither of those are what we get, then this is stupid. I just want to see zombies get run over with a lawnmower or smashed with mailboxes on the big screen.

Dec 29 - 07:11 AM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

great, more good games turned into shit movies. at least they'd be able to get Jean Reno to reprise his role from the Onimusha games. and isn't Dead Rising pretty much the video game version of Dawn of the Dead? it would be cool to see it approached with a more humorous angle like Shaun of the Dead, though.

Dec 29 - 07:58 AM

Kid_Ikarus

Josh Thornton

VIEWTIFUL JOE WOULD BE GRRRREAT!!

Dec 29 - 10:36 AM

245_trioxin

thomas carter

btw in dead alive, they used a push mower to take out zombies ; D

but i think pegg directing someone else in dead rising would be good like maybe bruce campbell or the guy who played ed in shaun of the dead.

but to see a mega man movie will be too much esp if it was live action

thomas of the living dead

Dec 29 - 01:01 PM

AstroZombie138

Travis G

Y'know what? We don't need a movie based on Dead Rising. Or Viewtiful Joe. Or Mega Man. You want to watch Dead Rising, instead of play it? Go watch your friend play it. Stop whining about Uwe Boll if you pay to see movies based on video games. Why would you want to sit and watch some hack's cornball, watered-down version of your favorite game when you could be playing it?

Here's some advice: Next time you see a trailer for a game-based movie and you think to yourself "that looks cool," don't buy a ticket. GO RENT THE GAME. It costs about the same as a movie ticket and you probably won't feel like your money went to waste. Uwe Boll has a career because people watch his movies.

That's my rant. Sorry.

Dec 29 - 01:46 PM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

okay, then why go watch the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter movies when you can just read the books? why not just go to the comic book shop and get a couple Spider-Man comics instead of watching the movies? hell, why watch any movie based on or adapted from any novel, comic book, short story, or game?

we bitch and complain about these movies because we want them to be good representations of the games we love so much, we don't want people watching the movies and saying "Man, if this horrible movie is anything like the games, those games must suck ass!" so it pains us to see hacks like Uwe Boll and Paul W.S. Anderson making crap movies out of them. i don't spend a dime on these movies if they look like they're gonna suck, and i'm gonna keep badmouthing these shit movies until directors start GETTING IT RIGHT.

Dec 29 - 05:03 PM

Muddler

Muddler Critic

To be fair, books and graphic novels/comics are still much more plot and character driven than video games, thus they have the necessary elements to make a good movie. I mean, at 10 years old I thought video game plots sucked, and I don't think they've gotten better. Moreover, there is very, very little compelling character development in video games - for the most part, YOU are the character of interest, which is sad considering you're likely sitting in the dark in your PJs eating cheetos playing Gears of War. So, unless you completely reinvent the video game for the movie, which will piss off the gamers, you're DOOMed to have a suck end product.

The better route has always been to take a movie and turn it into a kick ass video game.

Just think of it this way - why make these movies at all? I'll tell you why - there is no reason but an instant audience. Nobody sits there playing a video game thinking "man, this plot and character development is so cool, I want to make this into a movie." (yes, those thoughts do cross the mind with books and comics). No, people watch the sales numbers and say "hey, there are enough 13-22 y.o. male idiots out there to buy tickets."

Dec 29 - 10:33 PM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

"To be fair, books and graphic novels/comics are still much more plot and character driven than video games, thus they have the necessary elements to make a good movie. I mean, at 10 years old I thought video game plots sucked, and I don't think they've gotten better."

have you played ANY RPG in the last twenty years? they have more character development than most Hollywood films. games like Final Fantasy, Silent Hill, and Metal Gear Solid are prime examples of games with compelling stories and character development. and i think the average game has benefited storywise from the constantly improving game technology. better technology, better graphics, deeper gameplay, more realistic game worlds, more realistic characters, more room for depth and development.

"Moreover, there is very, very little compelling character development in video games - for the most part, YOU are the character of interest, which is sad considering you're likely sitting in the dark in your PJs eating cheetos playing Gears of War. So, unless you completely reinvent the video game for the movie, which will piss off the gamers, you're DOOMed to have a suck end product."

sure, there are plenty of games that are just too damn shallow to be made into feature films. but the examples i've already given are proof that there are also plenty of games that do have enough depth to base a movie off them. talented writers and filmmakers can take the characters and plots from the games and add enough depth to them if needed. that doesn't mean making drastic changes to the story or the characters, just adding to what is already there.

yeah, games have an extra dimension of interactivity that allows the audience to become emotionally invested in the characters that films don't have, but substitute that interactivity with depth like backstories and subplots and character conflicts (internal and external) and the audience can become emotionally invested in their film counterparts as well. and that's where the key to it all lies - the talent to do so effectively.

on a related note, did you know that Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window is based on a simple short story? Hitchcock added a backstory, love interest, and an underlying subtext about the stuggle between a woman's need to settle down and a man's need to roam free, all of which wasn't in the short story. Hitchcock stayed true to the original short story but added character depth and emotional undercurrent that wasn't there before and made it BETTER and made it worthy of making a feature-length film. see what i'm getting at here? surely if a talented writer can take a short story and make a truly great film out of it, that there must be enough material in video games to do it too.

"Nobody sits there playing a video game thinking 'man, this plot and character development is so cool, I want to make this into a movie.' (yes, those thoughts do cross the mind with books and comics)."

nobody, huh? well thanks for speaking for everyone who has ever played a video game. you represent them so well, since you think a majority of them are teenage couch potatoes. just to inform you, i recall a study a while ago that stated that they average gamer is 29 years old.

"No, people watch the sales numbers and say 'hey, there are enough 13-22 y.o. male idiots out there to buy tickets.'"

i don't doubt that's what the production companies and big-wigs think, which is why these films have sucked so far. they just see a built-in audience, so they just throw together a product and slap the game's name on it to lure in the gullible dopes who will see the movie just for the brand recognition, not to mention all the people who will go to see any movie on a Friday night regardless of the reviews or the buzz.

it's sad, really. the production companies churn out crap, gullible people go to see it and then buy the DVD's (DVD sales are a HUGE factor in how much a film makes nowadays since people put together their own film libraries), and that allows them to make even more craptacular films. it's a vicious cycle that doesn't seem to be ending. at least the backlash against Uwe Boll has driven major film distributors away from him so his films can't be released very widely, so i guess that's some kind of consolation.

Dec 29 - 11:21 PM

Matanuki .

Your comments are spot on. I've always thought Legend of Zelda had a strong story and, handled well, could make a great film franchise. Also, what's going on with the Halo project? I was hearing good things about in the beginning but then, out of nowhere, the studio pulled out. Talk about no balls.

Dec 30 - 08:51 AM

Muddler

Muddler Critic

Have you read any books in the last 20 years? Gone to any good movies? If you think that the RPG games you listed have "more character development" than a good movie, you need to get out more. Than a terrible movie? Maybe - but that's no excuse to make even more bad movies based off of video games.

I'm sorry, but most video game characters and plot are simply terrible. I include in that Final Fantasy and probably 99% of all other video games. COME ON! These things are infantile in their characters and plot. That's not where the time, energy, and talent is spent. It's put into the actual game play mechanics, graphics, and increasingly physics. This is not a bad thing - Monopoly is a classic board game that millions enjoy playing, but that doesn't make it a good basis for a movie plot. A game is a game, a movie is a movie, and if you want to move from one to the other you had better have good talent working up the movie or it is going to suck.

Sure, anybody can start from scratch or from a short story and make a great movie. The question is, why even bother with video games? The answer is because of the built in audience. When that's the answer, there is no incentive to go further and gather the talent needed to create a good new movie. Look at the trouble everyone is having making a Halo movie - no incentive to do it right, and a thankful lack of enthusiasm towards raping another video game franchise for the sake of making a motion picture.

By the way, yes, I've played plenty of RPG games....yawn on characters. Not movie material. I have all the hardware to play anything you like and I have ties to the industry. RPGs are about game play - and that's the way I like it. Talk about making assumptions...

Jan 1 - 04:03 PM

Holly Jolly

Very good comments, on both sides of the idea.

Like Hitchcock's use of short stories, or butchering the longer ones I'd have to say many great movies could be made out of video games.

Too many stories are made from novels, but in reality movies are short stories. There isn't enough time to enter every random but interesting thought of a characters mind.

A good writer/director can add character interest and plot to the themes of a video game, with so much artistic freedom you would think more would be greatful in the film industry.

Make a Metroid movie directed by John Woo and you get what everyoen expects, get a Metroid movie directed by Ridley Scott and you get something far more.

Once intellegent artists focus on video games in hollywood, the 'Phantoms' will turn into 'Spidermans'.

Jan 4 - 09:41 AM

Matanuki .

Indeed, Holly. You hit that nail right on the head. You should go over to the Transformers forum and see how "fans" are spitting on the source material with dismissive nothing comments like "oh, they're just big fighting robots." It seems the Art of Storytelling is truly becoming a dying art. All audiences seem to want is fluff. And when you argue that there should be something more, they regard you as if you just bit off a kitten's tail.

Jan 4 - 10:01 AM

Holly Jolly

Yeah? I fear those forums, too many seem to be fit posting pictures rather then words in responce to interesting or valid points. Maybe things have changed though.

I'll honestly say I liked the first Resident Evil movie, but I'll also say it could be much more.

The resident evil movie is the equivilant of Snakes on a Plane, it amusing popcorn entertainment. But then the next day I watch The Decent and I know I'm seeing A+ art.

The Decent is still in its heart fantastic and unreal and yet it brings in so many real elements you tend to believe in it. Granted to The Decent never made me laugh, but I really haven't been so freaked out by a movie in a long while. Even with this said do I know people who hated The Decent? Yes, I know plenty...but none of those people happen to be horror fans.

Jan 4 - 10:39 AM

Matanuki .

My response to The Decent was lukewarm, but I will have to watch it on dvd with the closed captions before I can register my final word. It was an amazing visceral experience, no doubt. But I am missing big chunks of the story for having been unable to follow the dialogue.

Jan 4 - 12:01 PM

Holly Jolly

Accents too much for you? ;)

Jan 4 - 12:05 PM

Matanuki .

Naw, not that. Poor hearing. I have the same problem with most films I see in the theater. But yes, the accents do make it worse. I suppose, in this way, you can say that I am alergic to accents.

Jan 4 - 12:30 PM

Holly Jolly

Aw, bumber...but I did find your analogy very amusing.

Jan 4 - 01:03 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Not to take a cheap shot, but how old are you? When I was 10 most video game concepts consisted of dodge the barrel and hit the monkey over the head with a hammer :)

They need to do a Pac-man movie adaption...A fat guy running around a maze eating Cheezy poofs and dodging ghosts. I'd pay money to see that :)

Dec 30 - 05:52 PM

Muddler

Muddler Critic

We are probably roughly the same age - around 30, which makes me something like the average high-end gamer and a poor candidate to go to a video game movie. I'm not sure what my age has to do with it. Good movies shouldn't be targeted to an age group beyond great generalities - kid v. adult. Kids won't get Saving Private Ryan, but everyone from about 14+ should find a lot think about with that movie.

Funny, I, and my age group, probably would have the most ties to something like Resident Evil, yet it obviously wasn't made for me. It was made for teenagers those with the mental capacity of a 13 year old. Just a terrible adaptation that ruined the possible future for video game movies.

I completely stand by my statements - video games are at the shallow end of the plot and character development gene pool. I say this being a gamer AND having other hobbies including film. If you think differently, you really, really need to get out more.

Jan 1 - 04:09 PM

asphyxiatic

Steven Mayeda

Phoenix Wright. It could work...

Dec 29 - 02:02 PM

Dec 29 - 11:21 PM

Dec 30 - 08:51 AM

Muddler

Muddler Critic

Jan 1 - 04:03 PM

Holly Jolly

Very good comments, on both sides of the idea.

Jan 4 - 09:41 AM

Jan 4 - 10:01 AM

Jan 4 - 10:39 AM

Jan 4 - 12:01 PM

Holly Jolly

Accents too much for you? ;)

Jan 4 - 12:05 PM

Jan 4 - 12:30 PM

Holly Jolly

Aw, bumber...but I did find your analogy very amusing.

Jan 4 - 01:03 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Dec 30 - 05:52 PM

Muddler

Muddler Critic

Jan 1 - 04:09 PM

alsanali

Alsan Ali

Oh man, a Devil May Cry movie could be as sweet as hell with the right people behind it. In theory it shouldn't be too hard to pull it off... just good special effects and a lot of ass kicking.

Dec 29 - 08:22 PM

Muddler

Muddler Critic

Dec 29 - 10:33 PM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

Dec 29 - 11:21 PM

Dec 30 - 08:51 AM

Muddler

Muddler Critic

Jan 1 - 04:03 PM

Holly Jolly

Very good comments, on both sides of the idea.

Jan 4 - 09:41 AM

Jan 4 - 10:01 AM

Jan 4 - 10:39 AM

Jan 4 - 12:01 PM

Holly Jolly

Accents too much for you? ;)

Jan 4 - 12:05 PM

Jan 4 - 12:30 PM

Holly Jolly

Aw, bumber...but I did find your analogy very amusing.

Jan 4 - 01:03 PM

Dec 29 - 11:21 PM

Dec 30 - 08:51 AM

Muddler

Muddler Critic

Jan 1 - 04:03 PM

Holly Jolly

Very good comments, on both sides of the idea.

Jan 4 - 09:41 AM

Jan 4 - 10:01 AM

Jan 4 - 10:39 AM

Jan 4 - 12:01 PM

Holly Jolly

Accents too much for you? ;)

Jan 4 - 12:05 PM

Jan 4 - 12:30 PM

Holly Jolly

Aw, bumber...but I did find your analogy very amusing.

Jan 4 - 01:03 PM

jeremyf1977

jeremy fein

I almost Forgot about the Double Dragon Movie and SMB......Thanks RT. Maybe a Mega man........Oh Shit now I'm giving ideas.

Dec 30 - 06:52 AM

South_park300

First Last

a Dead Rising movie? that's an awesome idea! Just think! Zombies in a mall!...don't tell George Romero though, he may get a little steamed....

it could still be a good movie, but they just need to make it as different as possible from Dawn of the Dead...both of them. then again, maybe we DON'T need a third "zombies in a mall" kinda movie

Dec 30 - 08:43 AM

Dec 30 - 08:51 AM

dagreenman18

Brian Lorenzo

halo is on the shelf until Microsoft fucking realizes that they have enough money to prouduce every hollywood flick for the next 20 years. Video game films have 2 flaws: the wrong games and the wrong people behind them. it will take a little while longer for people to understand that you shouldn't hand over movie rights to Uwe Boll, or that arcade cabinet shooters turned into movies are an idea that shouldv'e been aborted at conception.

But this new crop of ideas aint so bad. The just need to understand that for them to work they need to hire people that can pull it off. for example put John Woo on Devil May Cry and someone like Mel Brooks on Dead Rising. that would be perfect. Where all the white zombies at?

Dec 30 - 10:58 AM

AstroZombie138

Travis G

The thing that separates video games from other storytelling mediums is interactivity. Games CAN tell great stories, and many of them do. Most modern games also have ridiculously high budgets. Strip away the interactivity and all you're left with is story. Insert big name actors and you lose a big chunk of your budget, which could have gone towards better special effects. Trim the story down to around two hours, including action scenes, and suddenly you have a game-based movie that pales in comparison to the entertainment value of its namesake.

Halo could be a great movie, IF it doesn't just try and retell the story from the games. I'd like to see a prequel story, perhaps based on one of the novels, fleshing out the start of the war with the Covenant. Zelda could also be good, as long as Link was mute and the film recieved some seriously classy treatment. Street Fighter? Watch the anime.

Dec 30 - 01:33 PM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

"The thing that separates video games from other storytelling mediums is interactivity."

i've already addressed that. yeah, you lose the interactivity of controlling the characters' actions when you adapt a game into a film, but there's other ways of getting audiences to care about the film characters and become emotionally invested in the film, many of which i've already went on about in the previous post. hell, it happens all the time in movies.

"Games CAN tell great stories, and many of them do. Most modern games also have ridiculously high budgets."

you need to clarify what you mean here. granted, there are a lot of things that happen in games that would cost a fortune to do practically in a film, but that's what good filmmakers are for - finding ways of pulling things off with the budget you have.

"Strip away the interactivity and all you're left with is story."

and that's a bad thing how, exactly? take the story from the game and make it emotionally involving and compelling enough that you don't need the interactivity. good movies involve and engage the audience on a mental and emotional level too.

"Insert big name actors and you lose a big chunk of your budget, which could have gone towards better special effects."

who says you need big name actors? i'm comfortable with no-names portraying the game characters as long as they take the roles seriously and can act well. who the fuck knew who Sienna Guillory was before she played Jill Valentine? she did a couple smaller films and TV movies, but she was by no means a big name, and she nailed Jill Valentine to a T (now don't get me started on RE: Apocalypse, Guillory was one of the only bright spots of that piece of garbage). the gamers are going to see it regardless of who is playing the characters as long as they're played well.

"Trim the story down to around two hours, including action scenes, and suddenly you have a game-based movie that pales in comparison to the entertainment value of its namesake."

it's all about good storytelling. trim the things that aren't important to the overall story, streamline some of the details, and there's still plenty of room for the action and the story. and a good story makes the action more compelling. take the Resident Evil games, for example. there's a lot of solving puzzles, finding keys, and reading files that progresses the story in the games, but is boring as fuck on film. so find a way around that. maybe only have one or two puzzles instead of several. eliminate most of the reading of files and have the characters discover vital information in more interesting ways like from the supporting characters. there are ways around it, you just need to be creative and clever enough to do it.

"The only exception to the rule (video game movies are trash) that I can think of is FF: Advent Children. This is because, rather than trying to adapt or retell the story from the game, the film is a direct extension of the game. AND it basically amounts to fan service. Noone that isn't already a Final Fantasy fan is going to get anything from that movie."

Advent Children was great, but i agree that most people who have never played FFVII wouldn't understand it (although there are clearly exceptions on this very thread). Advent Children was aimed toward the fans who loved the game so much and wasn't aimed at the general filmgoing audience, a majority of whom never touched the game. The Spirits Within, however, was aimed toward that general viewing audience but the gamers felt burned because it wasn't about any of the games, and Advent Children, i think, was Square's reaction to that response from the fans. the whole problem with making Final Fantasy movies is that the games are so long and elaborate and intricate that it's nearly impossible to condense one of them into a single feature-length film, so that isn't a possibility. Square's only options are to aim their films at both ends of the audience spectrum - the casual non-gamer audience (The Spirits Within) and the diehard gamers (Advent Children).

"Halo could be a great movie, IF it doesn't just try and retell the story from the games. I'd like to see a prequel story, perhaps based on one of the novels, fleshing out the start of the war with the Covenant."

ughh, enough with shitty prequels! it's that crap argument of "Why would they watch the movie when they could just play the game?" that position is utter bullshit. we all know how Spider-Man got his powers, but everyone flocked to see the movie anyway. we all know how Superman got to Earth, but millions of people saw that movie too. people are going to see movies about stories they already know about because they want to see the characters and stories they enjoy and love portrayed on the big screen. there's a certain novelty to it. and by making the movie about the actual game, you won't run the risk of leaving the non-gamers out in the cold since you're not leaving out crucial detai

Dec 30 - 11:38 PM

AstroZombie138

Travis G

Look, all I'm trying to say is that, other than making a quick buck on a big name, there is no good reason to make a movie based on a game. Games like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, and Zelda already have deep, involving stories, characters, and all the other things that you get from watching a good movie. On top of that, you (the gamer) are an active participant in that story. I'm not saying that you can't make a good movie based on a video game, I just haven't seen it done. All I've seen are crappy sci-fi/horror/action movies with bad special effects and corny scripts, and supposedly streamlined plots that bear little resemblance to the games that inspired them. Enough is enough.

Dec 31 - 02:58 PM

Matanuki .

I was never a big fan of the Final Fantasy games (mainly because I'm not an rpg kinda guy), but I totally got Advent Children. I recommend it to just about every person I pass in the street. Link doesn't have to be mute for a Zelda film to work. He just needs to not be a fool like he was in that god aweful cartoon. Street Fighter could work too if they treated the franchise with a modicum of respect.

Dec 30 - 03:28 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Dec 30 - 05:52 PM

Muddler

Muddler Critic

Jan 1 - 04:09 PM

PhreazerBurn

Drew NoneAhYoBidness

Will Chun Li wear a bra on her head?

I only ask because that is an extremely important plot point!

Dec 30 - 11:12 PM

runteddy

Runn Teddy

[b]Chun Li[/b]
The most important thing to worry about with Chun Li is will the actress playing her will have a big booty cuz Chun Li was quite bootilicous. And, also, she has to have killer legs to go along with the prodigious posterior. So, if they can find an oriental Vida Guerra, that would be fantastic. But it would be important that she have a big booty, very important. In fact, they shouldn't even develop a role for her until they can find an oriental actress who has the physique that I'm speaking of. Otherwise, they should just go with cgi. Chun Li needs to have that booty though. She ain't even gotta flaunt it or wear her SF2 costume that had the guys drooling while she kicked they asses. Just for her to have that classic Chun Li booty will be good enuff for all. And that's my rant.

Jan 5 - 05:59 AM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

"Strip away the interactivity and all you're left with is story."

Dec 30 - 11:38 PM

AstroZombie138

Travis G

Dec 31 - 02:58 PM

WorldDude

Andrew Passafiume

I loved Final Fantasy VII yet I thought Advent Children was horrible. It was just a flashy, 90-minute cut-scene that got very old very fast.

Dec 31 - 08:31 AM

Matanuki .

You're the first person I've ever heard say something negative about Advent Children. No hidden point, really. Just an interesting observation.

Jan 1 - 07:04 AM

WorldDude

Andrew Passafiume

Trust me, there are many more. Maybe not on RT, but definitely on other forums.

Jan 1 - 07:38 AM

Matanuki .

I'm assuming the dissent is in regards to something from the games that is poorly represented in the fi'm's narrative. I consider myself an outsider since I was never into the games, but I loved the film. What, from the perspective of a FF rpg crowd, is so wrong about the film?

Jan 1 - 03:38 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office