The Walking Dead Reviews

November 3, 2009
Another excellent outing from Boris Karloff. He plays John Elman, a man framed for murder of a judge and then executed before evidence that could free him is discovered. Dr. Beaumont (Edmund Gwenn) has the means to bring Elman back to life through some Dr. Frankenstein-like experiments, and does so. Beaumont begins questioning Elman about what he saw and experienced "on the other side". Elman remembers little of his situation but sets out to avenge his execution against the men responsible. Karloff's character is very much like the Monster he made famous -- even his makeup job is similar, although much less severe. I had the same empathy for him in this film as in Frankenstein. But he could still make the hairs stand up on your neck -- Elman asking each man who framed him in his strange otherworldly lisp "Why did you have me executed?" was creepy as hell, as was Elman wandering through a cemetery saying "I belong here." RIcardo Cortez had his moments as the lawyer/racketeer responsbile for the Elman's framing. And Barton MacLane was..well... Barton MacLane. A first-class piece of filmmaking, courtesy of Michael Curtiz, who went on to direct Casablanca. As good as it is, I dropped a 1/2 star because of the cheezy last line about "our Lord God is a jealous god." Please. Was that really necessary?
neffielee
October 31, 2009
Take a gangster film and mix in a little horror, and you get The Walking Dead. Very atmospheric; shot beautifully. They definitely don't make movies like this anymore, nor could they without the excellent skills of Boris Karloff. He plays Elman with such heart, it just lures you in. A shortish film done at just the right pace.
½ October 30, 2009
Very quick film noir horror film starring the great Boris Karloff. One of his typical coming back alive films that he made so many of. Just something nostalgic seeing Boris Karloff rise off of a table... lol. And no one no one can deliver lines and just give that creepy look like Karloff could. No one then and defintly no one now for sure. Also some good supporting cast with Ed Gwenn who is always good.
October 25, 2013
Not to be confused with the zombie television series of the same name, Boris Karloff portrays a man falsely accused of murder, sentenced to the death penalty and restored to life by a mad scientist. What is it about Boris Karloff being brought back to life by mad scientists?. It's basically a gangster film until the last half hour--then the scary stuff kicks in. The film is very short -- 70 minutes -- and moves quickly.

The film's best moments feature Karloff's zombie rampage which have a touch of irony about them - not least because of the way that every member of the gang dies by his own hand through accident rather than Karloff's. Stand-out scene is definitely the fantastic build up to Karloff's undeserved execution, as sad cello music plays and prison guards banter about baseball while a man's life hangs in the balance.

Edmund Gwenn is also effective in one of his earlier roles as the doctor who brings Karloff back to life after he is wrongly executed: obsessed by an urge to learn what goes on after death, he drives Karloff on but the latter's only concern is to get even with the corrupt gang which set him up (including Ricardo Cortez's shady lawyer, Barton MacLane as one of his associates and Joe Sawyer as a hit-man, the real murderer).
November 14, 2010
For those of you zombie fanatics that haven't seen it,is a most see TV series.....lots of action is an epic, edge-of-your-seat drama !!!!
November 14, 2010
You can't escape what you've done

John Ellman was recently released from prison and he is struggling to find a worthwhile job. After a failed attempt to land a job, John meets a stranger who he thinks is a friend. John's new friend kills a government official and frames him for it. John is sent to death row and is executed. John "returns" from the dead and begins killing those responsible for his death.

"You can't kill me for something I didn't do."

Michael Curtiz, director of The Proud Rebel, We're no Angels (1955), The Breaking Point, Romance on the High Seas, Casablanca, Yankee Doodle Dandee, The Sea Wolf, and Dodge City, delivers the Walking Dead. The character development and portrayal was stunning. The script was smart and the settings were well selected. Boris Karloff was brilliant in the lead role and delivered a magnificent performance.

"You take away a life and offer me a favor in return? That's what I call a bargain."

I am a huge Boris Karloff fan and I love Halloween when his films are plentiful on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and AMC. This is not my favorite Karloff picture; however, it was smarter than I anticipated and Karloff was stunning in the lead role. If you're a Karloff fan, I strongly recommend seeing this picture. Oh, and this film was released in 1936 not 2009. ;)

"They are pushing the electric chair right under him."

Grade: B+