The Wendell Baker Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wendell Baker Story Reviews

September 16, 2007
I was UNlucky enough to catch this pile of dreck in a small, independant theatre. Easily one of the years worst films!
July 6, 2009
Don't get all pissed off cause I am about to say" rock"!~
½ June 11, 2007
Luke Wilson tried-thats the best I can say-Owen had nothing to do, neither did Eva- and Will did what he could. Eddie Griffin was kind of pointless and even though it looked cheap and straight out of the 90's- I give the other wilson the benefit of the doubt in believeing he wanted it that way. There are a few good quotes worth remembering and Luke does throw himself into the character-I guess I just expected more.
November 7, 2007
Thoroughly amiable effort by the Wilson clan.
January 5, 2008
The cast in this movie is probably one of my favorite casts I've seen in awhile. Luke, and Owen Wilson star alongside Eddie Griffin, and Eva Mendes. However there are three supporting actors who steal the show, no surprise why they stole every scene they were in becasue they are three of the best actors of all time, Kris Kristofferson, Seymour Cassel, and the great Harry Dean Stanton. I really enjoyed the movie funny and different, just one of those smaller indie movies that come along every once in awhile and surprise the hell outta you.
June 22, 2007
You know, I REALLY wanted to like this movie, but just couldn't. The acting is fair and the story just doesn't cut it. For a film having Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Will Ferrell, and Eva Mendes, I expected a lot more.
½ May 25, 2011
The Wilson brothers tend to work with each other frequently. Although unlike many family collaborations Wendell Baker is a really enjoyable movie. I tend to stay away from many straight-to-DVD ensemble flicks largely because smaller roles end up being just glorified cameos. With this film it's a different story. Every character is fleshed out pretty well as the movie goes on.
August 14, 2009
This movie had 3 elements to be good: a strong cast, original presentation and an interesting story. Unfortunately, it also possessed a fourth element -- crapium.
June 6, 2009
One of the dumbest movies I've seen. There really was no point and it's like they were trying too hard.
February 1, 2009
Luke and Andrew may try their hand at behind the scenes movie making, but luckily they have Owen Wilson as the decent writer of the three. Hey, at least they tried. Poorly, but they can do whatever they want. Anyway, avoid this unless you're in it for the Wilson eye candy.
August 20, 2008
Ok but nothing spectacular. even will farell's cameo was downplayed. You might have expected more from such a cast.
½ May 19, 2007
The Wendell Baker Story...when you first see Wendell Baker smile it makes you smile too and feel happy. So who cares that he doesn't have a real job and doesn't know how to tell the hot Eva Mendes that he loves her, he still has the charisma to get people to like him. Speaking of Eva Mendes, she had no role in this movie besides pouting and being pretty, is this why I haven't seen her win any awards? Ouch! I don't know why I'm being so mean to her but c'mon really?!
Anyways, the first half of this movie kinda dragged and Luke Wilson's looks alone couldn't carry it.
I'm sorry I like Owen Wilson in other movies he's done but in this one I'm like if I've gotta see his broken ass nose and wonder why he gets acting jobs I'm gonna kill myself!
Overall though, it was a good movie, it worked out nicely and I enjoyed the ending.
If you trust Th!NKFilm, you should watch this one.
½ January 2, 2008
I'll tell you two things that this movie already has going for it: a great cast and a very fast pace. The Wilson Brothers (all three of them) do an impeccable job of making this film fly by. The first act is a little slow and deceives you by being pretentious. As soon as it hits the second act, however, we are treated to wonderful performances that seem to come out of left field. The character of Wendell Baker never sticks in your mind. The character, for me at least, never becomes grounded and is used as a catalyst for the rest of the characters to tell their story. When the movie ends, you won't leave with a bad taste in your mouth. My best summary would be that The Wendell Baker Story is the fast food of great character driven comedies. It's a rental, but a very good rental.
November 19, 2007
I wasn't expecting much from this film. Not really funny and the writing for the first part of the film is kind of slow. Though it gets better and the story really picks up. I liked the addition of the 'senior' characters that practically steal the movie i.e. Kris Kristofferson, Seymour Cassel, and Harry Dean Stanton. The soundtrack was really good to.
November 12, 2007
This was an interesting movie to say the least I was entertained and I laughed a few times but in the end it just left me with that warm everything is going to be OK feeling.
November 9, 2007
Funny movie, different than most movies I like. But I enjoyed it. Luke Wilson was very good but I was very disappointed with Owen. But all in all a good movie.
April 30, 2007
I thought this would be funnier than it was. It just wasn't interesting at all and was very slow. It didn't move well at all and even if it had it still wouldn't have been a great storyline. It had a few funny moments but other than that was nothing special and quite boring actually. Not sure if I'd even recommend seeing this. Maybe if you're bored and have nothing better to do then I would say go ahead and rent it but by no means would I say to buy it. A few funny lines doesn't mean you should own it.
½ November 3, 2007
Really slow and boring. I like the Wilson brothers but this has to be their worst movie together. Don't bother ever watching it.
October 31, 2007
Not my type of movie, it does have its laughts, and it has its moments... great acting though and its nice to see Owen Wilson and Luke Wilson eorking together, its interesting I guess... Andrew Wilson directs so its fun I guess.
July 17, 2007
Not the best movie, but it has it's moments. Check it out on video if you like anybody in it...or Austin.