The Adventures of Milo and Otis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Adventures of Milo and Otis Reviews

FilmFanatik
August 5, 2007
Cuteness, cuteness and more cuteness - but not cute enough.
puffchunk
September 24, 2007
Nothing like watching cute animals getting killed on screen by Japanese for American kicks. Still, first movie I ever cried in. I soothed myself by saying it was movie tricks, but upon re-watching they totally just freaking slaughtered lots and lots of puppies and kitties.
May 29, 2007
Such a cute movie.
½ March 8, 2007
Cute kids film.
sanjurosamurai
January 25, 2007
animals talk without moving their mouths
½ November 3, 2006
Cute film.
½ October 25, 2006
So cute I went into a diabetic coma halfway through.
May 10, 2012
Remember watching this as a kid, so, I had to give it another shot, since I'm a dog lover. This film is such a classic movie for young kids, the narrator had me in tears at some of the hilarious energetic outbursts he had for some of the scenes. Epic storytelling, and i've heard they shout over 42 hours of footage to put this story together?! thats mad dedication and, it was originally written in Japanese!!
October 28, 2011
Cute animals.
½ January 3, 2012
"The Adventures of Milo and Otis" is a cute and kid friendly film, despite rumors of animal abuse on the part of the Japanese. This was another film I liked when I was a child and it nostalgic to revisit it years later. While not a masterpiece the movie is a fun and entertaining small scale story about the cat Milo and Pug Otis and their misadventures. The film took four years to make due to the various scenes needed and the hard to capture reactions of the animals involved. This is one you can watch with children and I'm sure one of the many I'll show my children one day.
August 12, 2007
I always thought this movie was boring but nobody ever agreed with me so I wound up seeing it a thousand times.
iLeo
April 11, 2007
A personal favorite. Loved this movie in my childhood.
½ May 13, 2015
This movie has overwhelming evidence of Animal Cruelty, I wouldn't get any entertainment out of watching this.
½ February 23, 2015
Sometimes a dog has to do what a dog has to do...

Milo and Otis are best friends on the farm. One day, Milo embarks on an adventure he believes is all his own; however, Otis will not allow him to stray from the farm on his own. Otis tracks down Milo and saves him on several occasions without Milo even noticing. Eventually they meet up and finish the adventure together, as best friends.

"At least he finally found out he's a chicken."

Masanori Hata delivers the Adventures of Milo and Otis in his directorial debut (and this is the only movie on his resume). The storyline for this picture is very fun and the film feels like a children's book. The animals and the way they interacted were amazing and very well done by Hata and his team.

"Milo was trouble from the very beginning."

We came across this movie on Netflix and recently got a puppy so I thought this would be a fun film to watch with my daughter. She giggled throughout the film and found it fairly entertaining. It definitely kept her attention. This is borderline worth adding to your DVD collection.

"Dreams will surely come..."

Grade: B-
½ May 3, 2014
if it wasn't for Dudley Moore and his narration this movie would be considered one of the worst. Parents will be bored while children will be bored as well. It's about a dog and a cat that float down the river.
September 6, 2007
This movie is really disgusting. It is a series of animals being put into dangerous situations with cute narration to which many of the animals did not survive. The way the filmmakers could abuse so many creatures in such heinous ways for the sake of children's entertainment is something amazingly evil
½ November 18, 2013
This is the ultimate cutsie animal movie. The stuff they got these animals to do is amazing. The soundtrack is perfect and the narrator has me in constant stitches.
September 8, 2013
It was a very enjoyable live action family adventure. It had really great cinematography, narration, adventure, music, characters and a very nice story. It's one of my favorite family movies from my childhood. I would recommend this movie to both children and adults.
½ June 11, 2013
Watching Milo and Otis as a small child must have been a treat. The memories of their adventure stuck with my wife well into her twenties and there will probably always be a soft spot in her heart for that movie and those cute little animals. Sometimes in my mission to find the truth, I muddy up fond memories and destroy childhood fantasies. I watched this film with my wife and child recently. From the mindset of a 5-year old boy or girl, I enjoyed the movie thoroughly. But readers beware, my observations from this movie are frightening and the comments below may forever alter your perspective of this famed children's movie.

Before I learned of the controversy surrounding this film and the alleged crimes from the international animal rights community, I noticed some images that just didn't seem right. First of all, these animals look scared as fuck!!! If you look carefully, there are about 4 or 5 different cats that play Milo and about 2 or 3 different dogs that play Otis. You begin to think that maybe a few of these "stunts" didn't go all that well for our two animal heroes.

There was one "stunt" where Milo had to leap into the ocean from a small mountain. They never showed the cat land in the water. Instead, director Masanori Yota showed the cat falling in slow motion with its stiff arms and legs spread as wide as can be as it braced for impact. Did the cat survive the jump? Probably not. The cat probably didn't survive the horrible attacks from the seagulls that preceded the water leap!

There was a very memorable scene where Otis "leaped" into the water to protect his furry friend from a hungry black bear. The scene was quite amazing to watch. It actually looked like Otis was throwing punches with his little paws and protecting his best bud. But really, that poor dog was fighting for his life. That bear wanted to tear Otis up and eat him. I wish I knew if the director or one of his crew threw the dog into the bear's way or made him swim that way for effect. I can only speculate because there simply isn't any proof. But what small animal would swim towards a hungry bear?

The cat looks mortified as it is cornered on a tree branch by the black bear, then again, on another tree branch by a boa constrictor where it is bitten in the face. Remember, we are watching a manmade movie. These kind of interactions only happen when they are forced. The animals' distress and misfortune become our entertainment because Yota and his millions of dollars wanted it that way.

There are many happy moments in this film. Little blobs of life squeezing out of cat and dog vaginas, a baby fawn licking one of the Milos and sleeping with him, a hoard of pigs suckling a giant momma-pig's teets with one of the Milo's being one of them. I was happy to see a giant sea turtle carry a scared Otis through the water to shore. The animals both had very confused looks on their faces, but the scene worked. We even got to see little Milo babies and little Otis babies.

It turns out the film actually used 27 different Milos during a span of 4 years to create this film. Masanori Yota is a well-known children's book author in Japan and owns his own island where he has hundreds of different species of animals. It was here where he created Koneko Monogatari (A Kitten's Story). This original film was edited down to 75 minutes for Western audiences. I am interested in watching the original to find more evidence of animal abuse that I will never be able to prove.

The film makes no claim at the end of the movie that no animal was hurt during filming. The controversy that this film stirred as well as the secret deals that must of went down between the industry and the Humane Society set a new standard for movies that followed. "No animals were harmed during the making of this picture" is now what we see with movies that have real animal characters. If you don't see that disclaimer, then it is worth questioning and maybe an investigation.

I am not a member of PETA. I admit I enjoyed Dudley Moore's voiceover and the cute animals running about in this movie. The editing was probably a tall and challenging task but it worked for the 2-6 year old age group. For those of us older than 6 the blunders are obvious. At one point we ask, "why did Otis go from standing in a puddle of water to being stranded in the middle of the ocean?" I wish I knew the truth about these rumors of abuse but since I live with a small child and wife who likes to let her inner small child come out to play every now and then, I will choose to let this one go. Innocent until proven guilty I guess. I won't be able to watch this without speculating some and being critical of the director's motives. When I put the drama and politics and conspiracy aside, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie experience. I would never have watched it without my child, but it still makes the grade in my book.

3.5/5
April 30, 2013
Hey, it's a kids movie. But it's charming. Dudley Moore goes all out on the narration, and there are some gorgeous riffs on the score pulled from the classical oeuvre.