Critics Consensus: Tintin, Dragon Tattoo Are Certified Fresh

Summary

Happy Holidays! This week at the movies, we've got a junior adventurer (The Adventures of Tintin, starring Jamie Bell and Andy Serkis); a punk hacker (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara); an animal house (We Bought a Zoo, starring Matt Damon and Scarlett Johansson); a trusted steed (War Horse, starring Jeremy Irvine and Emily Watson); and an alien invasion (The Darkest Hour, starring Emile Hirsch and Olivia Thirlby).Plus, we've got Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, Pina, and The Land of Blood and Honey. And don't forget -- the Certified FreshMission: Impossible Ghost Protocol expands into wide release this weekend. What do critics have to say? Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Well, I guess I'm the bigot then. Gibson has some visual taste, but his films (as director) are frequently ridiculous.

Dec 21 - 08:02 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I've heard nothing but good things about Bird's work on MI. I'm starting to regret skipping it this weekend.

Dec 21 - 08:11 PM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

mission impossible was really good... u should really see it...

Dec 22 - 12:24 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

If you do not see it this weekend, I would recommend you do some time down the road. It is a lot of fun and has a story that is simple but effective, and actually makes a lot of sense unlike the last two. The performances are good, too, as every actor looks like they are having fun and are committed to the movie, instead of phoning it in like you see in a lot blockbusters. Bird also brought in a little of his mojo from The Incredibles, as the movie really does an excellent job of making it feel like a team mission, and not just Ethan Hunt lone-wolf badassing it through the whole movie. Every person on his team gets time to shine and a little motivation for their goals, in addition all of them are included heavily in the film's plot. Bird really nailed that and I think the team dynamic was one of the strongest points of the movie.

Dec 22 - 09:58 AM

Jacob H.

Jacob Holmes

I'll definitely see Tintin first, War Horse second, and Dragon Tattoo sometime after that.

Dec 21 - 09:20 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

I will likely see Dragon because the premise seems interesting and the reviews are great (although not excellent). Both War Horse and We Bought Zoo seem too conventionally sappy for me to enjoy, and I have no interest in TinTin. I'll certainly check out Ghost Protocol when it comes out in DVD, but I've been disappointed by many action flicks in recent years, even highly rated ones with the exception of the Bourne movies and Drive.

The Darkest Hour is probably at 15%. The whole concept just seems really stupid and I don't think anyone is going to see this movie this weekend except for maybe some bored teens who are refusing to spend time with family.

Dec 21 - 09:25 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Probably a 20% for The Darkest Hour. It's a ho-hum of a movie and a so-so for fans of the Twilight series. I don't which movie I'll see during the holiday season. It's a tough choice, but Mission Impossible, The Adventures of Tintin, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Those I really dying to see.

Dec 21 - 11:10 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

I don't see the connection between The Darkest Hour and Twilight other than they feature a good looking actor or two? Otherwise they seem like polar opposites, one featuring mass destruction and aliens in Moscow, one featuring a boring lip-biter and a sparkling vampire in Seattle.

Dec 22 - 06:30 AM

nongshim

Kathryne C

oooh, that sucks for war horse. oh well, more interested in tintin and gwtdt anyway.
seriously, though... i hope the academy decides to overlook that movie in favor of more worthy nominees now.

Dec 21 - 11:37 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

75% isn't exactly the kiss of death. Especially since the main complaint seems to be it's schmaltzy. It IS a Christmas release about a boy and his horse. These people probably thought ET was too sentimental too.

Dec 24 - 09:17 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

22 for The Darkest hour. Bring on The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I've been looking forward to it all year, absolutely cannot wait.

Dec 21 - 11:45 PM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

mission impossible was really good... u should really see it...

Dec 22 - 12:24 AM

Adam P.

Adam Pritchard

The Darkest Hour: 26%

Dec 22 - 02:26 AM

Ken W.

Ken Wolfson

2 Steven Speilberg movies and two Daniel Craig movies, lol. My list for this Christmas: Sherlock Holmes, MI4, Tintin, War Horse, and GWTDT.

Oh and Darkest Hour gets a 5%

Dec 22 - 03:33 AM

King  S.

King Simba

I gotta disagree with you about disaster movies. I think the best disaster movies are the ones that are more focused on a particular character. That way the disaster feels more up close and personal (as the saying goes "The death of one is a tragedy, the death of a million is but a statistic") The trouble I find with so many disaster movies is that they introduce so many characters that none of them are really explored, meaning that you end up not caring for any of them and just impatiently wait for the disaster to come. Granted, I don't think The Darkest Hour is going to be one of the best disaster movies (right now I'm guess a 25% rating for it) In fact, it looks like the only real miss in an otherwise impressive weekend.

Dec 22 - 04:49 AM

Janson Jinnistan

It does come down to the quality of character and making you feel for their safety especially. Many films can't do it. Recent examples: "Day After Tomorrow", "2012", "Cloverfield", "Skyline", "War of the Worlds" the recent one. I'm sure there are others. I never really felt like these characters' lives were so much more important than the millions of 'statistics'. "Dawn of the Dead" (Romero) and "Testament" are two that come to mind that work.

Dec 22 - 12:23 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Dec 22 - 06:30 AM

Isaac

Isaac H

For Darkest Hour, I'm going to say 17%

Dec 22 - 09:45 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I am not really excited about Mel's Judah Maccabee project; I'd much rather see him try and get the Viking epic he was planning with DiCaprio going again after it was virtually scrapped due to Mel's meltdown.

Dec 22 - 09:52 AM

Janson Jinnistan

To be frank about it, anything that keeps him out of the religious realm is fine with me. He can make an exciting action film ("Apocalypto", which also gets ridiculous at times), but I have the suspicion that his Maccabee project is more self-crusading, and an extention of his expressed persecution complex. He's better off getting back with George Miller and doing "Mad Max 4" - 20 years later. I also thought Schwarzenegger couldn't hurt himself by finally doing "Conan the King" after all these years. Wipe the taste of that last effort out of everyone's mouth.

Dec 22 - 12:30 PM

Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Mel better hurry, then... or it would have to be 'Mad Max 4--30 years later', LOL. '... Beyond Thunderdome' was an mid-80's release, I think; and Gibson looks every bit of his age and then some, now. As far as any Conan with Arnie goes... forget it. I know the first one's considered to be a 'classic' by many, although I don't know why. For any Conan purists--comic and 'Savage Sword of Conan' readers from back in the day--Arnie was a bad choice for Conan to begin with. 'The Darkest Hour' preview is reminiscent of 'Skyline' to me... I never saw 'Skyline', but the consensus is/was that it sucked hard. My prediction is 5%, although I hope I'm wrong. I really like those kinds of movies when they're done right.

Dec 23 - 06:38 AM

Janson Jinnistan

"Conan the Barbarian" is a classic, purist. And if you're going to be purist about anything...Conan? OK. John Milius made an epic, with mythical script, gorgeous photography, thundering score and both Mako and James Earl Jones ("come to me, my child"). An amazing accomplishment. And "Skyline" was extremely stupid. But very impressive special effects (when they're on screen). Those particular aliens looked better than either "Battle: LA" or "Super 8".

Dec 23 - 08:30 AM

Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

LOL... a lot of people agree with you, no doubt (or at least, AMC does). But I doubt that many, if any, of them read 'Savage Sword...' or the comic series. Conan was a muscular character, obviously; but that's about all he and Arnie had in common. He was nearly 7 feet tall, very quick on his feet--not cumbersome, and at least as clever as he was strong. That WAS his character--there's really no other take on it. I like Arnie, always have... it's just my opinion that he was a poor choice for Conan. It's absolutely not my intention to disparage your opinion, though. As far as the other aspects of the movie that you mentioned, I certainly won't disagree with you, there... at least on the score and James Earl Jones. I DO think your projected 36% (even with the +/- 10%) for 'The Darkest Hour' is a bit generous, LOL.

Dec 23 - 10:01 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I enjoyed some issues of the comics, "Barbarian" and "King Conan", but maybe I'm missing some nuance of his character. I looked over at the RT page to read the rotten reviews - and there's Vincent Camby! One of the true haters of the 70s. I guess we should agree to disagree then (as long as you haven't just seen it edited on AMC). As for the "Darkest Hour", I'm just trying to corner the table a little higher than others are bidding. Who knows?

Dec 23 - 12:39 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

@DEC - Not meaning to sound condescending here, but you do realize that Conan was not originally a comic character, right? The comics pale in comparison to Howards original Conan stories.

Dec 23 - 01:21 PM

Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Yes!... I do realize that and always wanted to check those stories out. Unfortunately, by the time I realized those stories existed, I had pretty much quit reading that kind of fiction. I have, however, just finished reading quite a bit about Robert Howard and his Conan character via Wikipedia. Nothing shocking... the original character (described as "giant, massive", but moving "like a panther" by Howard) bears far more resemblance to the character in the graphic novels and comics than he does to Arnie's movie character. That original character is also a brilliant tactician/strategist and speaks MANY languages (not that anything in the movies contradicts this... Arnie just didn't sell the mental abilities IMO). And with Howard's character, apparently it's just wanderlust that takes him from his village... not James Earl Jones, LOL. If you have read many, most, or all of those stories and have a favorite, feel free to recommend it. I'll have to read for myself if the whole "pale in comparison" thing is true... I can't take your word for that, LOL (at least, not with Savage Sword).

Dec 23 - 02:43 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Dec 22 - 09:58 AM

Doc.Bamf

Dominic Savarese

In regards to Mara's quote(if we are both thinking about the same article), all Mara ended up doing was showing how little she understood the author's intent with his depiction of Salander. Based on what she said, Mara seemed to be under the impression that anarchism and feminism are mutually exclusive...which is clearly not true (case in point: Salander). So she was trying to say that Salander was an anarchist and not a feminist. However, she did end up confusing the hell out of everyone in the interview, with after all she said about Salander, Mara followed up with "I'm not quite sure what that [feminism] means."
Your comparison of Bella and Salander rings perfect on another level in that just like Mara cynically confines the definition of feminism, Meyer naively broadens it. To this day, Meyer still considers Bella a feminist simply because Bella is "able to choose".
Mara already stated that she was planning on delivering her "interpretation of Salander." Idk wtf Meyer's excuse is, though.

Dec 22 - 10:18 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Mara has been coming off like a doofus in interviews it seems. Bigger than her britches, maybe? "Doing her interpretation" sounds like code for "too lazy to actually research my character and get inside her head." She recently commented that a role she had on Law & Order, in which she played a teen who killed fat teens, was stupid because no one would ever kill someone just because they're fat. Well, the storyline was "ripped from the headlines" and based on an actual case. Duh. Again, no research. I also remember her patting herself on her back for her "interpretation" of Nancy in the Elm Street remake, which I thought she was terribly bland in.

Dec 22 - 11:44 AM

Dave J

In the real world of acting, the actor only acts when no research is required especially when it's the directors movie. Case in point, read somewhere a long time ago where the director read a particular book visioning it into a film and because the actor read the book as well, he wanted the direction to go the opposite direction than the director's, except that it's the directors film and not the actors. I mean look what happened when novelist Joe Eszterhas intervened with Arthur Penn during "An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn", Penn removed his name from being credited to Alan Smithee! If directors want their actors/ actressses to do any resaerch on any film or tv show, they would've said so and sometimes that doesn't come cheap either!

The other thing you have to realize is that some things don't translate too well on film which is why it's best left in books as opposed to showing it on screen!

Dec 22 - 03:33 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Well thanks for explaining how it is "in the real world of acting" for me. Not buying it, Dave.

Dec 23 - 05:43 AM

Dave J

You know the thing is because I watched this actress on Letterman the other day discussing about her experience with Fincher, apparently indicated to me that Fincher is a perfectionist and control freak and is common knowledge that he loves to retake his actors/ actresses to death which could be as much as a 100 times redoing pointless scenes over and over in many different ways and several angles, and if anybody were to tell him otherwise how it should be done, I can see him firing anybody on the spot. All you're really doing is finding an excuse not to see the film when this version could possibly be more faithful to the book than the 2009 version since the only way any film can be faithful to any book is when it involves money because when Niels Arden Oplev directed his version he didn't have very much money to work with! Case in point, I thought the first half of "The Firm" was pretty faithful to the book but then on the last half hour of the film- I thought it was god damn awful compared to what Grisham wrote in the book, and realized that the company only gave Sidney Pollack a fixed amount of money and worked with what he had then what he wanted meaning that although Pollack was given credit as director, it was still not his film, it was more of the producers movie than it is Pollacks. The amount of money always dictates how any film is made.

And to remind you that each book written by Tolken can be divided into two films and not just the one, there was alot of stuff Jackson couldn't do with the budget he had which was a 100 million per film not including the money Jackson had to spend from his own pocket, The Hobbit may be the only film he was allowed to split into two films meaning that he was probably granted more than what he was given to make "The Lord Of The Ring" films, who knows how faithful Jackson would've made the Ring trilogy had those films received the same amount! Compromising with other studios is a bitch since the film may not perform well in the boxoffice, that's why some directors prefer to own their own studios then they could do whatever the hell they want!

Dec 23 - 12:40 PM

Dave J

If you ever succeed as a movie director Brad and you want your actress/actor to do research perhaps as a police officer, fireman or army soldier before filming starts than you're going to expect it to be paid out of your own pocket because to take the army, police, firemans time away from doing what they're paid and supposed to do has to cost money as well, not everything is volunteered and not everything is free!

It does however, help if the director worked as a policeman, fireman or had been in the army himself!

Dec 23 - 12:53 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Dave, I don't think anyone (def not me) is saying that Mara being a doofus, or at best 'big for her britches', should be an excuse to not watch the film. We'll see if her performance is as iconic as people are saying. But, let's face it, people are totally kissing her ass right now, and maybe (possibly) it's gone to her head enough to where she's not being as prudent in interviews as she should be. I saw a story this morning talking about how she's going to be this huge star, and she might be. Maybe this film is that good, and it'd have to be because she hasn't really been in anything else to warrant "stardom". OR...it's part of the publicity machine. Like, say, Taylor Lautner, there are a handful of actors every year who we're told are 'the next big thing', and their publicists are rabid about shoving them down our throats. Some backlash is inevitable.

As for Finch, I think that's GREAT! I HATE overacting, what Finch calls "earnestness". He does so many takes as a way of exhausting his actors into more realistic, naturalistic performances. Especially with younger actors, you have to reign in the emotional hysteria sometimes. Otherwise it gets like a soap opera, and it looks like actors acting, trying to get Oscars, rather than humans behaving like humans. And if this performance of Mara's is as iconic as the hype professes, then Rooney needs to be thanking Fincher for his guidance, and she has no reason to be complaining about his 'perfectionism' in interviews. She might end up in the Shia LeBeef catagory of ingratitude.

Dec 23 - 01:07 PM

Dave J

I wasn't implying my comment toward you Janson, but was really impying my assumptions to Brad for dismissing Finchers film altogether because of a single lady who just works in the film and has 'no' say on how it should be done or how her character was supposed to be portrayed since she didn't do any research or read any of the Stieg Larssons books, my point was that it's always the directors film it shouldn't be defined whether the actress/ actor does any research or not, as a matter of fact if it's the directors film, he's the one who should do the research and not the actress/ actor in question. I also think that when every magazine or television show mentions break out stars "Entertainment Weekly" included, it's very subjective and shouldn't be taken seriously, everyone has an opinion. I myself haven't seen alot of current movies because it's costly and because of time so for the time being, I'll only take their word for it and acknowledge what it is until I have the chance to check it out myself, but I'm not going to judge without checking it out first, we as the paying public can only watch so many as opposed to movie critics who get paid for it!

Dec 23 - 02:15 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Regarding the Law and Order thing, that was actually a misquotation. According to Mara, when she said stupid and awful, she meant the way some people treat others, rather than meaning her character was badly written (Of course she could just be backpeddling, you never know)

Dec 23 - 02:26 PM

Dave J

It's a little premature to judge people for what people say these days- I mean how does anyone really know whether they mean it or not. When Shia made unflattering comments about his role in the "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and The Transformer films, Spielberg professionally dismissed it on an Entertainment Weekly interview, but I bet when Spielberg confronts Shia about it, it's going to be interpreted that his words were taken out of context and may have been caught up in the moment!

Dec 23 - 02:47 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Dave, I don't see where Brad made such a comment. He never says he isn't going to see this movie because of Mara's comments. I haven't bothered reading about the L&O thing, but, in regard to your last comment, I do think it's a little sad that people aren't expected to attach value to their WORD, or what they say. I agree that many people are full of shit, and EW is a virtual almanac of celebrities' bullshit, but I don't think that's an excuse for these celebrities to keep their mouths open. Daniel Craig is a better example of someone who doesn't waste his words.

Dec 23 - 03:19 PM

Dave J

I didn't say Brad didn't want to see this film was a result of Mara's comments, but was implying that he was "looking" for an excuse not to see it since the film centers solely on Mara's performance than on anyone else's including Daniel Craig's. I think the difference is that when one's a celebrity whether s/he's an actor, musician or author, that whatever they say would be under alot of scrutiny or criticized whether it's positive or negative is not the point, I'm just saying that to maintain being a public figure is not as easy as being a performer. As a matter of fact, if I was successful at anything whether it's director or writer of a film I would rather remain anonymous because I do know that everything I say is not going to satisfy everyone, and I have stage fright! I don't mind working behind the camera whether it's sound or production manager, but to be on front of a camera is another thing altogether! To keep oneself in 'check' is sometimes not as easy as it looks! That's why celebrities at times always have their publicists nearby whenever interviews are conducted, just like any other President before or after them!

Dec 23 - 04:06 PM

Dave J

I mean the thing is when Shia Le Buff made those unflattering comments the other day about his role in the Transformer films, was his 'publicist' present to keep Shia in check is the real question!

Dec 23 - 04:09 PM

Dave J

To hold a single person to everything s/he says and do is hypocritical, this includes me. An example would be like for instance if I told people I'm going to buy 5 cases of Coors beer and bought bottles of wine instead because I changed my mind at the last second would be my preogitive and no one else's!

Dec 23 - 04:22 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I always thought "Twilight" represented a rather co-dependant form of feminism, enabling more than liberating. I don't want to speculate on Mara's education or social upbringing - I'm not even sure how old she is - except she seems to speak from a perspective of privilege. I'm not going to let that influence my judgement of her performance. Although, like Brad, I have yet to see her in anything that's impressed me (and her two minutes in "Social Network" doesn't exactly qualify).

Dec 22 - 12:42 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships