The Adventures of Tintin Reviews

March 14, 2012
It is a delight to see Spielberg play with the possibilities of the 3D animation - impossible camera movements, fabulous scene transitions and also an amazing long take - in this dazzling semi-noir adventure that invests more in the action than in its characters but is still a lot of fun.
March 17, 2012
I don't think I've ever seen a movie that challenged my eye and my brain to keep up with the action going on the screen. Enjoyable enough for adults, and I'm sure it's a good time for ages 10 and under. Just a bit... much ... for me.

Good movie though. Kinda wish I had seen it in all of its 3D glory in theaters.
March 15, 2011
Let me start out by saying: I am only marginally familiar with the comic books, so I had no expectations from that side. I am sure there are many nods to the source material here in the film I may not have noticed, but you can tell that there was a lot of detail and love put into this movie. Much more than the trailers made you hope for. Which leads us to the technical aspects: The graphics are gorgeous. Landscapes, textures, faces, eyes never looked better. Yes, you're still watching an animated film and you're aware of it most of the time, but the characters' expressions are real enough to make you care for them. Especially Captain Haddock is both fantastic looking, fun and lovable. While the story starts out slowly and rather humble, things get more adventurous by the minute. There are several scenes where you expect John Williams to burst into the Raider's march and it would fit so well. So it's true, this film does many things right that Indiana Jones 4 did not: it feels like a wonderfully old-fashioned adventure film with great action sequences, exotic locations, treasure hunts and has its heart at the right spot. Especially the escape from the sultan's palace is one of the most spectacular and fun action sequences of recent years. Here Spielberg makes perfect use of the technical possibilities of both a computer generated environment and 3D to create an uncut race that's absolutely mind-blowing. And while he's at it he also creates a breath taking sea battle the last two Pirates of the Caribbean films wished they had. Once the film's over, which happens way too fast, you can't wait to see more adventures of these characters. No one with a soft spot for adventure films should think they can afford to miss this.
cosmo313
½ July 27, 2011
Not being familiar with the source material, I'm not able to rate this as an adaptation, but, as a stand alone action adventure spectacle, I'm happy to say that this is a very well done and entertaining action packed thrill ride, along the lines of say vintage Indiana Jones and the classic adventure films of days gone by.

Even though I like the fourth Indiana Jones film, this is probably what a lot of people were hoping it would be like, and disappointed that it wasn't. There are a few moments of rest, but for the most part it's all GO GO GO and hardly ever slows down. There's still time for development of course, but the film is all about filling this film to the max with fun and excitement.

The stroy follows young adventurous journalist Tin Tin and his faithful dog Snowy as the get swept up into a mystery involving modle ships and the legend (and curse) of bureid treasure and high seas intrigue. There's all sorts of globe trotting, exotic locations, and many many awesome action set pieces. That this is an animated film lets them really get stylized and take the edge off believability, which is cool, too. Although, to be fair, it doesn't get THAT unrealistic. There's nothing supernatural, just extraordinary. For an animated film, this also has some of the best conematography and camera work I've seen in a while.

The voice cast is top notch, with Jamie Bell in the lead, Daniel Craig as the antagonist, and Andy Serkis as the key player to the mystery. Nick Frost and SImon Pegg also appear, and while they do provide some fun comedic relief, I really didn't think that they (or their purpose) were all that necessary. I'm fine with humor, but they kinda over did it to a degree.

WIlliams once again delivers brilliance in the music department, and the opening credits just sizzle. Considering that this is directed by Spielberg, but also had involvement from Edgar Wright, Joe Cornish, and Peter Jackson, this could have easily failed due to too many cooks in the kitchen. Luckily, this pays off, and we get one of the most entertainign and enjoyable action romps as of the past couple of years.

Definitely give this a watch. It rocks!
September 20, 2011
Beautifully made, very very good motion capture (most certainly improved from The Polar Express) and I fell fully and completely into the story and the world. It was fun, exciting and mysterious. I haven't read the originals however so I can't comment on the adaptation, but however tight or loose it is, Spielberg, Jackson and co have opened up the world of Tintin to a whole new generation. Can't wait to see more of this.
MANUGINO
April 27, 2011
This year, discover how far adventure will take you.

Good animated film! The action scenes are brilliantly written and directed, the angles of the camera, the drive of the action scenes, timing of all the jokes(physical or visual) is genius. Because Spielberg is a genius. He is the master of adventure movies and there never will be another genius in adventure movies like him. Overall Spielberg has created an old-fashioned style adventure movie for the whole family to enjoy, where the important things are just the hunt for the treasure, the friendship two people can make and the most important thing of all that it is an entertaining ride. Spielberg never disappoints, it doesn't matter if you are a fan of Tintin or not, you will enjoy this film nonetheless. Go see it!

Having bought a model ship, the Unicorn, for a pound off a market stall Tintin is initially puzzled that the sinister Mr. Sakharine should be so eager to buy it from him, resorting to murder and kidnapping Tintin - accompanied by his marvellous dog Snowy - to join him and his gang as they sail to Morocco on an old cargo ship. Sakharine has bribed the crew to revolt against the ship's master, drunken Captain Haddock, but Tintin, Snowy and Haddock escape, arriving in Morocco at the court of a sheikh, who also has a model of the Unicorn. Haddock tells Tintin that over three hundred years earlier his ancestor Sir Francis Haddock was forced to scuttle the original Unicorn when attacked by a piratical forebear of Sakharine but he managed to save his treasure and provide clues to its location in three separate scrolls, all of which were secreted in models of the Unicorn. Tintin and Sakharine have one each and the villain intends to use the glass-shattering top Cs of operatic soprano the Milanese Nightingale to secure the third. With aid from bumbling Interpol agents the Thompson Twins our boy hero, his dog and the captain must prevent Sakharine from obtaining all three scrolls to fulfil the prophesy that only the last of the Haddocks can discover the treasure's whereabouts.
½ February 10, 2008
A great adventure movie; better than the last Indiana Jones Crystal Skull effort. I like how they've combined three different Tintin books to make a somewhat new story. The characters are a bit bland, and the animation is a weird mix of realism and Tintin book styles. I was surprised Captain Haddock spoke with a Scottish accent. Overall, I liked it. I'm eagerly awaiting more Tintin adaptations done with the same group of people.
December 31, 2011
The motion-capture animation is some of the best I've ever seen. It manages to find the right balance between realism and cartoonish characterization. Andy Serkis serves a very enjoyable performance as Captain Haddock, even the Tintin's dog makes an impression. The film offers some good action set-peices that seem inspired and novel. Despite a few inspired action, this film comes off as little more than a retread of Spielberg's old adventure flicks. The main character Tintin is a boring protagonist, he is straight to the point that he is bland and uninteresting. Another major flaw is the humor, which tends to be more miss than hit. Kids will love this movie for sure but adults will only be reminded of Spielberg's older and better movies.
Nate Z.
April 13, 2012
It may not be fair, but I was never expecting to like Steven Spielberg's first foray into animation, The Adventures of TinTin. It just looked so busy and I'm still on the fence when it comes to motion-capture technology. So imagine my surprise when I found myself not just enjoying the movie but also actively loving it. This rollicking adventure practically hums with energy and imagination. It's easy to get lost in its sweep. The action sequences, of which there are several, are terrific, breathlessly paced but showing great fair and imagination. It comes to the closest of any imposter to replicating the magic of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Give great credit to Spielberg but also his team of terrific Brit writers (Dr. Who's Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright, and the man behind attack the Block, Joe Cornish). The characters don't feel like soulless androids, the adventure is lively, the immersive visuals are gorgeous to behold, and the scale of some of these action set pieces is just massive, in particular a chase through a Moroccan city that is performed in one unblinking take (although does it matter when it's animated?). I felt transported while watching Tintin, back to a time of childhood awe and excitement. Some will find the movie wearisome and vacant, but I'm prone to shaking off my adult quibbles when a movie can make me feel like a kid again.

Nate's Grade: A-
April 6, 2012
Bored the crap out of me. The star is for the dog - the only interesting thing in this.
I suspect this is a movie for boys (and much older boys who grew up with the comic version).
Though the movie looks good visually, I found something a little off and creepy about the characters. The plot is also pretty week (admittedly I never read this, so maybe it's just following it's source). I am probably a bad person to review this as it is not the kind of movie I enjoy to start with. I like a movie with real people in it and I don't care which star does the voices - I could do that, doesn't take a lot of talent!
Dr114
½ April 6, 2012
A great animated film with a sweeping spirit for adventure. The film has a stunning visual art to it that creates an amazing setting to each frame. Steven Spielberg really knows what he is doing when it comes to action/adventure films. It packs great nostalgia as it is truly reminiscent of Raiders of the Lost Ark, one of my favorite movies. I really do not understand how this was snubbed by the Academy for best animated picture. This is truly my favorite animated film of 2011 and a definite Blu-ray buy.
March 31, 2012
"Indiana Jones: Childhood Years". Almost an exact carbon copy of the Indiana Jones series. Everything down to the pacing, flow, structure of the narrative, and even the comic relief are ripped straight from the Indiana Jones series. But one major differing downfall to "The Adventures of Tintin" is the surprisingly slim focus on character development. However, there's such dynamic emotions conveyed by the characters through the raw power of motion capture technology and the great acting ability, that it delivers enough heart into it's somewhat rite storyline. All in all, it isn't enough to taint the experience -- we're delivered one of the most ingeniously choreographed and wildly entertaining action set-pieces to grace any animated movie. This is quite possibly one of the most entertaining children's movies I've seen, all thanks to Spielberg's keen direction.

Man, it's been a while Spielberg. After such a long hiatus from the director's chair (his last movie he's directed [that was actually good] was "Munich"), I was surprised how quickly I became familiar and found my niche with Spielberg's specific direction style. He hasn't lost his touch; in fact, "The Adventures of Tintin" more than proves that he's earned his reputation to be one of the most influential moviemakers of all time. The direction's top-notch; just when the hectic, frenetic action seems to overstay its want, the movie slows down. In other words, the pacing's pitch-perfect (except for the final scene).

Every scene is a spectacle due to the crisp cinematography, realistic animation due to the mo-cap technology, and the phenomenal acting performances. This is, by far, the best looking animated movie ever. The most minute facial twitches are captured through mo-cap and the results are compelling. So when this same superb quality of animation translates into the action scenes, one can't help but to be overwhelmingly astonished by the results. Let me tell you straight up: These action scenes are so immaculately choreographed that it rivals all of the action-blockbusters that are coming out nowadays. It's THAT good. The action's in-your-face, but not rambunctious; the action's over-the-top, but not sloppy... The action's absolutely riveting. There's one particular scene that sure stole the entire movie for everyone: it's a one-shot epic action set-piece that draws out for at least 3 minutes of non-stop, insane, and ferociously entertaining action. By the end of this scene, I couldn't help but to give an applause.

Through and through, "The Adventures of Tintin" is by far, one of the most entertaining films I've seen in a very long time. If the highest Hollywood blockbusters had a certain caliber to meet, "The Adventures of Tintin" would be it. There's a certain magic in all the action that many action movies fail to meet up to. In the end, this film convincingly helps us viewers remember the kid that once lived and wanted the MOST enjoyable movie of all time to come out again. Yeah, it's lacking a lot of heart and a thematic foundation, but this is one hell of a blockbuster.
½ April 1, 2012
A light-hearted, adventure-filled smash concerning a young journalist, Tintin (Jamie Bell) who becomes embroiled in events concerning lost treasure and how he has one of the pieces to the puzzle. The animation Spielberg and Jackson have put together here is simply stunning, as it is not hard to see the motion-capture technology they used to make the action sequences and characters more realistic. While it could have used possibly a little more backstory and development of Tintin's character, this thing is just good old-fashioned fun with a lot of Spielbergian chases and sequences that are wildly imaginative. It does have a heart to it all, which is nice to see because if not this thing could have come across as fun but unmemorable fluff. The voice actors are very good, and Spielberg does a fabulous job reaching a wide audience range.
LWOODS04
December 16, 2010
Cast: Andy Serkis, Daniel Craig, Nick Frost, Simon Pegg, Toby Jones, Mackenzie Crook, Daniel Mays, Gad Elmaleh, Joe Starr, Kim Stengel, Sonja Fortag, Tony Curran, Jamie Bell

Director: Steven Spielberg

Summary: Blockbuster filmmakers Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson team up for this 3-D motion capture adaptation of Georges Remi's classic comic strip, centered around the adventures of fearless young journalist Tintin (Jamie Bell) and his trusty dog, Snowy. Daniel Craig, Simon Pegg, Andy Serkis, Nick Frost, Toby Jones, Mackenzie Crook and Cary Elwes also lend their talents to this action-packed family adventure.

My Thoughts: "A great adventure for the family to enjoy. My nephew absolutely loved this movie and was in hysterics throughout. He just loved Captain Haddock. He also enjoyed the clumsy Thompson twin policeman. It had the adventure essence of Indiana Jones. So if your looking for a fun entertaining film to watch with the kids, or if your a fan of the comic, I think you won't be disappointed with this movie. Spielberg did a fantastic job with this movie. See it if you get the chance."
October 26, 2011
Critics love it, We love it, just utterly superb, although that is what you would usually expect from the top-of-the-top-class director Steven Spielberg. the film's structure is strong and fits perfectly with the novels once known from HergĂ (C) .
March 24, 2012
"Adventures of Tintin" is kind of like a kiddy animated version of Indiana Jones. Tintin(Jamie Bell) is a young reporter always looking for a good story. When he comes across a model ship at a flea market he is thrust into an adventure that offers danger, action, excitement, and the possibility of treasure. The animation is amazing. I must say, this is one of the best animated movies I've seen as far as just looking at it, and all the details that went into it. This is Steven Spielberg's first animated movie, and he handled it just like his live action movies. However, the movie falls flat in a lot of ways. The characters are kind of lifeless. Tintin is a bore(his dog has more life than any other character in the movie), and no one else really kept my attention. The voice cast is ok, it's filled with mainly British actors. Which is fine, but it just didn't work for me. I'm sure young boys will like it, because it does have some great action scenes. But other than the way it looks, it doesn't really offer anything new for adults. If I watch this again, I'd like to see it in 3D, because I bet this looks amazing in 3D. If you have kids, give it a watch or let them watch alone. If you like adventure movies, you may like it a lot more than I did. Just keep expectations in check, Spielberg and Peter Jackson are known for making amazing movies. This just happens to not be one of them.
March 15, 2012
'The Adventures of TinTin' is a very solid adventure flick that carries a lot of Spielberg's original pizazz that can be found in films such as the Indian Jones series. The animation is practically flawless and realistic, and the action set pieces are astounding and brilliant. The voice acting is great as well, but the story is still childish and sometimes not intriguing enough for an adult audience. It's a small price to pay for such an enticing animated film.
March 19, 2012
I really enjoyed the visuals of this flick. For once the technology really worked. The story was fun but the ending seemed rushed. This is a good start to a series but not the best for a stand alone film.
November 19, 2008
A ton of fun, hands down the best mp-cap movie.
½ February 13, 2009
"The Adventures of Tintin" is filled to the brim with amazing action sequences and CGI wizardry, providing a visual adrenaline-boost not often seen in the realm of animation, or live action filmmaking. Spielberg is no stranger when it comes to adventure films, but "Tinitin" showcases some of the director's finest moments of excitement... and that's really saying something.

But where the film falters is in it's narrative. It didn't draw me in and I wasn't invested in the mystery or the intricacies of the plot. The action and break-neck pace move the film in a grand way, but I didn't care about the outcome.

But, did this lack of pull detract from the picture? A bit, but honestly I didn't have the time to care, because Spielberg continually seduces with the promise of a bigger and better set piece around the corner. He delivers, and the film is a memorable one because of it.

I'd love to see a sequel happen at some point.