The Agony and the Ecstasy of Phil Spector - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Agony and the Ecstasy of Phil Spector Reviews

August 11, 2010
He literally said he got the idea for his hair from Ben Wallace's afro, what more do I really have to say. Great documentary about one of the weirdest guy's in pop culture history.
½ April 17, 2013
A very unique format for a documentary
April 3, 2013
Phil Spector movie. Interesting approach for a documentary. Some will find hard to watch, but overall I liked it. He did write and produce some of the finest pop records ever. But "a thin line between genius and insanity."
September 24, 2010
I went into this documentary having literally no clue what it was about, so I had no expectations for it either way. It ends up the film serves dual purposes: it's a celebration of Spector's incredible musical career (he's produced many of the most famous, important records of all time) and an examination of his murder trial. The problem is, the film fails to delve meaningfully into either area.

Like It Came From Kuchar, another documentary from earlier this year, TAatEoPS (what an abbreviation) feels more like a catalogue than a probing piece of documentary film-making. Each song featured is presented in full, often with accompanying performance footage. Other times, the music plays over footage of Spector's trial, meaning the courtroom drama is muted and the audience is left wondering who's who and what's being said. At the same time, text from reviews or featuring trivia about the songs pops up at the bottom of the screen, meaning the audience's attention is being pulled in three directions at once. The result is a mess that causes the audience to detach from what's happening and wonder when the interview footage with Spector (which is generally quite interesting and entertaining, considering what an arrogant prick he is) will kick back in.
July 26, 2010
This movie is going to be the best