Alps - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Alps Reviews

366weirdmovies
December 24, 2012
A group of four people act as stand-ins for deceased loved ones to help families with the grieving process. The idea isn't a bad one but there is almost no story development, and the (deliberately) bad acting, lighting and camerawork create 90 minutes of unpleasant awkwardness without much to reward the viewer. The second film from the director of DOGTOOTH shows all the stereotypical flaws you associate with sophomore efforts.
c0up
June 11, 2012
'Alps'. Morbid, absurd and completely messed up. I'm sure there's some deeper meaning on identity waiting to be gleaned, but it became an exercise in the weird for me, and one that I couldn't look past.
Harlequin68
½ January 11, 2014
In "Alps," a young tennis player is gravely injured in an auto accident and is given some hope for making it. In the ambulance, she is asked who her favorite American actor is. In a meeting in a gymnasium being presided over by Mont Blanc(Aris Servetalis), a gymnast(Ariane Labed) tries to call dibs on substituting for the tennis player but Mountbatten(Johnny Vekris), her coach, in no uncertain terms, feels she is not even ready for pop music in her routine. In the meantime, Monte Rosa(Aggeliki Papoulia), a nurse at the hospital, looks in on her.

Throuhgout, "Alps" does a neat job of keeping the viewer off-balance. At first, I thought something very sinister was going on due to having watched too many episodes of "The Avengers" when I was growing up but it turns out the cell's well-intentioned with their allowing mourning family members to work through their grief through them. That does not mean that there are not dangers for the characters in this movie, especially considering the extreme emotions in play.

The question about the actors is rather odd at first. One could argue that it is about the kind of performance the customers want; natural, method or scenery chewing?(Heaven help anybody if they say Nicolas Cage.) Or could it be about American culture overwhelming all others? Therefore, the substitutes could be working on developing their own native culture with no other creative outlet in Greece. But at least considering "Alps" and excellent recent Greek movies like "Dogtooth" and "Attenberg," there is certainly a national cinema there to keep an eye out for.
June 21, 2012
Make me decidedly neutral on the latest film from Giorgos Lanthimos. I find his films to be very slow in their relevant ions. You almost have to see them twice because you don't really know what's going on until an hour in. Wonderful unique concepts. Execution that is too cute.
½ January 12, 2013
Giorgos Lanthimos has yet again made a film that people who watch it would want to talk about it. He is a filmmaker with his own distinctive particular style, that exposes issues in a way that leaves us gasping for more.
½ September 7, 2014
A sort of but not really sequel to DOGTOOTH. This film is sort of the inverse of what was explored in DOGTOOTH. I thoroughly enjoyed this film.
½ April 8, 2014
I'm going to have to rewatch this. First impression is that it isn't as good as Dogtooth but it is similar.
April 21, 2013
The premise to this oddball French film is so beyond belief that it's not long before it crashes headlong into pretentious art film territory.
April 11, 2013
The common wisdom seems to be that this is a step down from Dogtooth, to which I'd say that both movies have the exact same (perceived) problem of having central conceits that fall apart when placed outside of acutely specific contexts, but this one does a more thorough job of beguiling me with its deceptively cold, mannered presentation of barely-contained human misery and desperation. I've sold this, right?
½ January 13, 2013
As somebody who considers Dogtooth one of 2010's best films, Alps was slightly disappointing. The mess of ideas within the film are quite as cohesive as those in Dogtooth resulting in an (even more) abstract viewing experience. And yet, this is still a starkly beautiful and incredibly unique (i.e. Lanthimos) film.
½ April 26, 2012
I rarely want to walk out of a movie, but I was *really* fighting the urge with this one. If you need to believe what's happening on the screen in order to enjoy a movie, skip this one. I'm shocked that, as I'm writing this, it has 80% on RT, based on 5 critic reviews. Oddly, RT says the AV Club review is fresh, but if you actually read the review, you'll assume, as I did, that the B+ rating was a typo.
½ April 6, 2016
From the lightening, strange events and emotionless off tone acting Alps has a dreamlike quality from start to finish and just as listening to other people's dreams can prove a bore so is the case with this film. There are some interesting ideas and scenes but the whole thing goes no where, seems indulgent and in the end is hard to enjoy.
½ March 20, 2016
3.6/5
The beautiful looks of the film usually help to bring it up a little due to its shallow narrative, but in the end it is a great example of Yorgos' style and in the same way an example of what can go wrong if all of the parts of th film dont always help each other.
½ July 2, 2015
Yorgos Lanthimos' follow up to Dogtooth is not quite as successful, but almost just as fascinating.

Lanthimos is essentially taking an inverse perspective on what he examined in Dogtooth. In Dogtooth we saw a family struggling to form identities within a false or fake reality.

In Alps, we follow a small group of people hellbent on escaping their own real identity to a fake one. A group of people form a secret society designed to sneak individual into the world of another in a surrealistic approach to the idea of "surrogates"

In Lanthimos' world, as in reality -- any group of more than 3 individuals, there will always be a seemingly inherent need to find ways to express roles of leadership and superiority. This is only one angle of struggle facing these Reality Surrogates.

Humor is dispensed in odd and deadpan manner. When a surrogate expresses her desire to perform a gymnastic number to a popular tune, those who have positioned themselves as "leaders" look at her purely devoted performance with disdain. The leader dismisses her fake reality desire with a harsh judgement: "You're not ready for Pop music!" --- the result is both funny and off-putting.

As desired reality is no longer a satisfying option, one of the members of these recently formed society rebels. This individual is rebelling against the rigid rules of her own society to force her way into the "reality" she desire.

The desire and need for escaping real identity into an unreal one proves to a problematic challenge in more ways than one. Ultimately, the characters are blocked by cultural and society from all angles as the need for rebellion grows.
February 7, 2015
A group of people start a business where they impersonate recently deceased in order to help their clients through the grieving process...

Giorgos Lanthimos "Alps" is a static, absurd, patchy, surreal, sad, bleak, theatrical and slightly boring dark drama penetrating the psyche of a group of people longing to be loved and fit in. Itīs not a direct film and nor is the message during the first half of the movie. The idea is there of someone impersonating a recently deceased person in order to help a family for example through the grieving process, but Lanthimos handles the topic in such an "arty farty smarty pants" way it falls on itīs own legs when he simply refuses to invite you to at least build some sort of understanding of the film in my opinion. I dislike the fact that he use way too many prolonged silent static scenes killing the dynamics that shines through at times. However, I do think that that actors are truly convincing in their roles, specially the leading actress Aggeliki Papoulia.
January 10, 2015
No es Dogtooth pero tiene con que defenderse.
December 23, 2014
Alps Movie Review!

This is a horrifically strange movie. This movie is purely absurd and just begs to question the sanity of the people involved.

A movie about a four deranged individuals who help some family find closure by literally pretending to be their deceased family members.

The acting, the visuals, and the voice acting is so rigid and stiff that it makes wood bend. I even had to walk out of this movie halfway done. I can't stand another minute of it.

In short, I hated this movie. Hated, hated, hated it.

0 out of 10.
½ September 7, 2014
½ April 13, 2014
La idea es genial, me gusto!
½ April 13, 2014
A really interesting idea, but overall a mediocre film. A disappointment, comparing to the excellent "Dogtooth".