Critic Review - Chicago Sun-Times

If we didn't really need to be told Spidey's origin story again, at least it's done with more detail and provides better reasons for why Peter Parker throws himself into his superhero role.

June 29, 2012 Full Review Source: Chicago Sun-Times | Comments (50)
Chicago Sun-Times
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

James

james cameron

Jun 29 - 05:18 AM

Brian Moreland

Brian Moreland

Thank you Ebert! Exactly what I thought.

Jul 4 - 01:45 PM

Guneagle01

Peter J

fuck yea Ebert

Jun 29 - 05:45 AM

xMrGrimmx

Jesse Hornick

Definitely seeing it now!!!

Jun 29 - 02:19 PM

Ahmad Rudhzaini

Ahmad Rudhzaini

oh yeahh Mr Ebert !!!!!! Thumbs up ma man !!!!!!

Jun 29 - 05:51 AM

Amith Jose

Amith Jose

exactly!!!! :)

Jun 29 - 06:06 AM

Spirit Bear

Martin Tam

this is what I wanted to hear

Jun 29 - 06:28 AM

Wayne Stanley

Wayne Stanley

I don't expect this to be better than spider-man 2, but as long as its better than 3 I'll be extremely pleased.

Jun 29 - 06:33 AM

George Hanna-Wilson

George Hanna-Wilson

Spiderman 3 was better

Jul 2 - 09:02 PM

Seth Mecklenburg

Seth Mecklenburg

They could have not tried and made it better than Spider Man 3. Amazing is really good and much better than the overstuffed threequel.

Jul 4 - 01:04 PM

Danny DeMent

Danny DeMent

My God, I find myself "mostly" agreeing with Roger Ebert. This is a rare moment in history...

That being said, Peter didn't work for the Bugle right away. That comes later. And Lizard IS supposed to be bestial. What makes it tragic is it's a brilliant mind with the best intentions withering away to a mindless animal. Kinda the point.

Jun 29 - 06:54 AM

Noah Abraham G.

Noah Abraham Goucher

Just because something is tragic doesn't make it necessarily interesting, especially in a villain.

Jun 29 - 11:01 AM

Justin Isett

Justin Isett

I could say if it's not interesting it's not tragic. :)

Jun 29 - 02:39 PM

Noah Abraham G.

Noah Abraham Goucher

You COULD. But that's not really true. "Romeo & Juliet" is tragic, but I wouldn't call it very interesting.

Take, as counterpoint, Shylock from "The Merchant of Venice." A tragic character who is actually interesting.

Jun 30 - 12:01 AM

Greg Dinskisk

Greg Dinskisk

@Noah wasn't Romeo and Juliet a comedy?

Jul 3 - 09:43 PM

Seth S.

Seth S.

Glad to see the positive review. Can't wait to see this movie.

Jun 29 - 07:06 AM

Jin Juice

Jin Juice

YES!!! GO SPIDWRMAN GO!

Jun 29 - 08:15 AM

Zachary Marsh

Zachary Marsh

Got to see this at a press screening earlier this week. Almost everything Ebert has said is correct! The only thing I disagree with him on is that it's equal to Spider Man 2. I think this film was BETTER than any of the Raimi films! Overall grade: 9.5/10

Jun 29 - 08:15 AM

Skylith

Manny Hill

Although his review is widely agreeable I have yet to say that this could be a better spider-man movie than the last 2 films not counting 3. I'm not trashing on this film but couldn't some of us agree that Raimi had that type of creativity that he put to good use in Spider-Man 1 & 2?, like Webb is going to do but with a little more accuracy?

Jun 29 - 08:48 AM

Ryan Metzger

Ryan Metzger

Based on everything I've read about the film, this seems like the necessary beginning point needed to take the story arc a different way than Raimi's films, in the sequels to follow. There'll definitely be a lot of overlap that makes reviewers/critics see this as simply an (unneccessary) remake of 2002's spider-man. However, it's the obvious and subtle differences in details of character and story in this one that'll create a foundation for the future sequel's to part ways from comparisons to Raimi's story line (which unfortunately seemed to be run into the ground in the third one).

Jun 29 - 11:16 AM

Trent Ledford

Trent Ledford

I think this series is gonna be slightly better than the other spiderman but it probably wont make as much as the other spiderman. The Amazing Spiderman comics is better than all the other spiderman comics I hope they end up making a trilogy with three great movies.

Jun 29 - 02:31 PM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

Which is more important: mechanical web shooters, or the phrase "With great power comes great responsibility"? Everyone seems to be overjoyed about the presence of the first, but ignoring the lack of the latter. Kind of interesting.

Jun 29 - 03:45 PM

roguebot

rogue bot

Yeah the mechanical webshooters seem completely arbitrary to me. I could take em or leave em. They don't matter.

Jun 30 - 01:12 AM

Danny DeMent

Danny DeMent

Regarding that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LATQMAyjhyk

It's still there, just spoken differently.

Jun 30 - 08:02 AM

Jeff Taylor

Jeff Taylor

With great power comes great responsibility is, to me, the heart and soul of the Spiderman story. It is the cornerstone upon which Peter builds his life - Raimi seemed to forget this completely in his third SM movie despite the excellence that was SM2.

Mechanical webshooters? Couldn't care less (although it could be said Peter would have made a fortune selling the invention to law enforcement agencies around the world - those are some effective crowd control weapons!!!)

Jul 31 - 07:06 PM

roguebot

rogue bot

Not surprised he thinks this movie isn't is as good as Spider-Man 2, considering it's still the best super-hero movie I've ever seen, but ASM still seems like a worthwhile summer flick.

Jun 30 - 12:57 AM

Hamidi Zakaria

Hamidi Zakaria

yeahhhh!!!!

Jun 30 - 04:02 AM

Perry Cucinotta

Perry Cucinotta

I dont see the point of this either, ANOTHER origin story holy shit..how many times?!?!??

Jul 1 - 02:38 PM

Jeff Taylor

Jeff Taylor

Twice on the big screen. About 2000 in comics & TV :)

Jul 31 - 07:07 PM