Critic Review - The Atlantic

The Amazing Spider-Man is considerably more fun-and, yes, even touching-than so premature a reboot had any right to be.

July 3, 2012 Full Review Source: The Atlantic | Comments (11)
The Atlantic
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Michael Keppy

Michael Keppy

Im glad some more critics like it but I wish people would just watch it without referring back to raimi's trilogy.

Jul 3 - 03:15 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

Agreed!

Jul 3 - 03:17 PM

Josh Leitzel

Josh Leitzel

To be honest as I watch them now I realized how campy and corny they really are. I hope this one is different.

Jul 4 - 02:12 PM

Randall King

Randall King

I agree.

I saw Amazing this week, and I think this one definitely has a different feel. It feels a little edgier, but still stays on the lighter side which fits Spidey well.

Jul 5 - 05:03 PM

Rakin Areef

Rakin Areef

Guys, this films ultimate weakness is the fact that it's a reboot. It has it's problems but none of that makes it a bad movie not even close. The sequel is bound to do 1000 times better than this becasue it will settle in with CRITICS. General audiences loved it the critcs just don't like that they saw it after 10 years who knows how far down this will go but know its not cause the films bad. Besides the real critcs(Top crtics) gave the film pretty good reviews thus far and that's saying something

Jul 4 - 05:35 PM

Mchl Schllnbrg

Mchl Schllnbrg

To me the idea of a reboot didn't really matter. What bothered me was that it was complete shit. Some of the worst pacing I've seen in a film recently, not to mention a bullshit soundtrack and completely embarrassing climax and third act in general.

Jul 6 - 12:02 AM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

I think someone forgot to take his nap and drink his juice box...

Jul 16 - 09:15 PM

Norman Dostal

Norman Dostal

the worst movie of 2012 thus far-bad acting, terrible script with mouth opening coincidences-a 30 year old supermnodel who is suppsoed to be anerdy 17 year old? a really bad cgi lizardman? and what is sally frields doing in this? she looks awful-old and haggard and wasted!! and martin sheen can barely speak with those dentures!

Jul 11 - 05:17 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Yeah get you're head out of you're ass you retard!! Everything about this movie was 1000 times better than the Raimi version of Spidey!!

Jul 16 - 09:13 PM

Tunari Almazan

Tunari Almazan

Lol, you've got it all wrong man. Emma Stone isn't even 30. She is actually 22 o 23, don't remember which of the two exactly. And by the way, I liked the reboot better than Raimi's versions, because it has the true Spidey in action, not an old guy playing a Spidey in college, with webs coming out of his hand. So yeah, get your facts straight before you start hating...

Jul 19 - 01:34 AM

Michael Collins

Michael Collins

I too found this movie forgettable. It is important that when a movie gets 3 strikes, and then someone decides to reboot it, then the movie must be amazing. Don't let the title speak for itself. Many folks hate Spider Man 1,2,3. But I've seen them so many times and there are scenes in each film that I can watch over and over. Such as the train scene in which Peter had to slow down before it flew off the tracks.
Or the bank robbery in which Peter had to save his Aunt from being harmed. Despite what you say about the previous films. I guarantee you remember most of the sequences that occurred throughout them. Except the third installment. I'm trying to forget that one. This film on the other hand struggled to stay in my movie memory bank. For no matter what perspective in story or visually fitting actor they mustered up to what they felt would reinvent the Spider Man saga, it still held light in true entertainment.
Well I must say we deserve true entertainment at this point in life with this well known super hero. For a moment forget the details that any spidey fan would argue to you about as to whether or not it was portrayed correctly in the film. Try to focus on the fact that action scenes in these so called Blockbuster films are getting shorter and shorter, yet they spend millions of dollars on these films. This movie was a perfect opportunity to give us a long battle with a Spidey villain, in which I couldn't wait to come on DVD. Then I would play and rewind the scene until I wore it out.
The scenes in this film where far too quick. I actually feel there was more time and effort put into the first installment's then this one.
This one seemed to be a bit rushed, even though it took forever to come out. There were good elements throughout the movie, but the lack there of in true remember-able entertainment just outweighs it. Trust me I am grateful to the effort and work they put into this spidey reboot. Just one time, can I leave the movie theater and yell "That scene was sooooo awesssssssssome!" I haven't done that since the Matrix. You know how long ago that was? This is 2012. There's no excuse. Stop trying to woo us with enhanced enemy detail for whatever software their testing out in every film. Just so that we may say Ooohh and Ahhhh on creature closeups, and focus on some butt kicking action that will have my jaw dropped and eyes bulging for at least 15-20 minutes straight. Even though I seen quite a bit of flaws in Spider Man 2 villain Doctor Otto Octavius. The action was fun and the director didn't seem afraid to put Peter to work in the fighting sequences.

Aug 5 - 09:20 PM