Critic Review - McClatchy-Tribune News Service

It rarely stumbles into "terrible," but this "Spider-Man" never rises to anything, either. Where's the charm, the heart, the humor?

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Comments

David Hill

David Hill

You're an idiot... Period.

Jul 8 - 08:17 PM

Ray Wagner

Ray Wagner

The two good points about this movie are
1. They went with gwen stacey instead of m.j, as gwen's death in the comics was the first time a major character was killed off, and brought about a new age of comics.
2. The acting of emma stone was far superior to anything kirsten dunst could have dreamed about.

Above and beyond those 2 points, the movie SUCKED. Storyline was okay but whoever says that Andrew Garfield's acting was good is full of crap. Ifans acting was horrid and what a waste of talent getting sally field and sheen to play ben and may.

Jul 8 - 08:30 PM

David Moore

David Moore

Did you even watch the film?

Jul 8 - 10:31 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

Haven't seen the flick yet. Not that eager to either. I've been standing on the sidelines, watching for years now as Hollywood takes the stuff of my childhood (toys, comic books, bedtime stories, tv shows) and transforms them into shitty films - not the least of which the mashed-up-fuck-tard holy hell awful Transformers. How about a little style, a little understated aesthetic, a little common sense with pace, and maybe think about ditching the ho-hum I'm missing a chromosome humour that sits about as well on screen as a turd on my face. Come to think of it I'd almost rather have a turd on my face then be subjected to these sub par atrocities over and over again. Who approves this trash? I mean, c'mon The Brothers Grim, Daredevil, Electra, GI Joe, have you ever seen HE-Man? (jesus!!), Ghostrider, Thor was pretty crappy, Hulk was pretty crappy, Captain America was pretty crappy, the last X-Men was ridiculous and now we have an origin Spider-Man movie. Sorry I took the scenic route to the commentary on the actual film in question. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of Spider Man stories. Why (for the love of god) do you chose to tell an origin piece that retells the bite my hand become a superhero bit. It's like some on screen goofball studder. I'll sit through anything because I like to watch anything. I'm just getting a little tired of safe, boring, predictable 2 step movies. Maybe I've seen too much. Probably. It's getting hard to be really entertained anymore. I did enjoy the hell out of the Avengers though. Well done. Good balance. Excellent use of camera angles and very importantly the action was given enough distance to feel alive and coherent and visceral. Anyway, I'm full on caffeine ranting now so I'll clock out. I'm sure I'll see this 2 hour and 17 min on screen beauty when I get the chance. I just hope the frames with the Lizard are easily digestible for my eyes and not some strobe light hero on villain seizure inducing flash show. I really hope I'm surprised by it and not let down by the (more often than not) paint by number Hollywood Mega Machine. Cheers.

Jul 9 - 11:41 AM

Michael Boyle

Michael Boyle

This film had TONS of charm, heart and humour! In fact there was more of that than action!

Jul 9 - 03:17 PM

Jeff Powell

Jeff Powell

there was much better character development in this movie than the other Spiderman movies, the characters were more relatable for the audience, and the plot lines were thicker and more thought out. They took the original origin story and spiced it a little to give it the feeling of today's age. To say that the movie "never rises to anything" makes me think you do not know how to follow a story.

Jul 9 - 05:37 PM

Why SciFi

Why SciFi

Absolutely not. The poor character development was one of the main problems I had with this film along with all of the implausibility in the plot. Fully covering just those 2 things would take a lot of typing, so I'm just going to repost part of a review I did for this film.

"First I want to say that I know that there's a certain amount of realism that you have to check at the door when you go to watch a film like this, but even after doing that this films still has plausibility issues. And it didn't have to be that way. This film suffered from a lot of shoddy writing. One example is the level of security clearance that a high school intern seems to have at OsCorp. Another is how Peter was able to get into OsCorp to join a group of potential interns. He goes to the reception desk and the lady tells him to just take one of the ID badges laying out on the counter and run along inside. Maybe I'm just being picky because I've worked in an environment that required levels of security clearance, and I can tell you that she would have verified his identity not only with his ID, but someone that had recruited him would have also had to pick him up at the front desk, his belongings and person would have been checked, and the ID badges would have been kept behind the counter and not laid out for just anyone to pick up if they felt like it.

Another thing (among many), while not implausible but unlikely, was the lack of any kind of developed social lives for Gwen or Peter. Neither one of them appeared to have any friends at all. Weird. It wouldn't have been too hard to have a shot of Gwen walking down the hallway with a couple of friends between classes, or a buddy that called Peter up on the phone about hanging out on Saturday, but none of that happened. The original film, in 2002, did a wonderful job of giving you a clear and complete sense of what both Mary Jane and Peter's lives were like before and after he became Spiderman. She was popular, had a boyfriend, and had some family issues. While he had a nurturing home life, Peter was somewhere out on the social fringe with one main friend that he spent much of his free time with. That was good writing that was well executed." Unfortunately, The Amazing Spiderman is far from being amazing.

Jul 10 - 04:34 AM

Jermain Jackson

Jermain Jackson

You are nitpicking. You didn't like the movie fine that's your opinion, hell i agree with you on the sneaking into Oscorp being to easy but I didn't let that bother me.

Where your comment makes no sense is the fact that you are complaining over not seeing Gwen shown with friends. Maybe she is not a popular kid, ever thought of that? Sure she has beauty and but she is also as very smart, probably a nerd in her own right. She is on the debate team, not exactly a group of popular kids. That being said, the could have shown her at one point talking to one of them but its no big deal. Your complaint about Peter not having any friends also makes no sense. You are comparing this movie to the original because he was friends with Harry in High School and Harry looked after him. That was not originally part of Spidey's origin in the comics. Peter had no one in High School, no friends, he was picked on by Flash and made fun over by other Students as well. No one was there to watch his back, he really had a hard time. At home he had Uncle Ben and Aunt May, at School he was alone.

You need to understand something this movie isn't retelling the 2002 original. Its is retelling his origin from the comics, and infusing its own style along with some stuff from the Ultimate Universe. This movie did a good job of showing Peter's life before he became Spider-man, this version of Peter is a loner not just a nerd. A loner doesn't have friends.

Jul 12 - 09:37 AM

Why SciFi

Why SciFi

It's obvious that you liked the movie, but it just had waaaay too many problems for me. I can let go of little stuff, and if the movie's good enough, even a few moderate contrivances and plot holes. But this movie just KEPT having problems ALL the way through. That's where it lost me.

Jul 18 - 02:18 AM

Ronny Cox

Ronny Cox

Just curious what you as critics think of these intelligent, great points?

Jul 9 - 11:45 PM

Ausautas V.

Ausautas V.

I think this new one is dreary, cold and disconnected. Never really hooks you. I didn't think it was terrible, but you can have it. No hurry for a sequel.

Some scenes appeared to be pasted together with no continuity. If I memorized the entire comic book series, would the movie look better? Well that's not the best approach for making an expensive, wide release movie. Might be okay for art-house cheapies.

Jul 10 - 01:08 AM

Why SciFi

Why SciFi

You are right on the money. I can't believe so many people actually think this movie was good, ESPECIALLY if they saw the original from 2002.

Jul 10 - 04:26 AM

Paul Montgomery

Paul Montgomery

Well said. This movie was not in my opinion a successfull reboot of a beloved franchise. Where the originals had humor and heart in abundance, this new spiderman comes across as trying too hard and taking itself way too serioulsy. Even taken on it's own and assuming you could forget for a moment or two the memorable performances and charm of the first spiderman movies, we are still left with a less than favorable taste in our mouths...maybe that taste is all that artificial, cgi dependant webs shot from exploding wrist bands in lieu of a good script we are forced to chew on. Bring back Tobey!!!!

Jul 10 - 10:42 AM

Ryan McAvoy

Ryan McAvoy

Artificial web slingers were originally what Spider-Man is supposed to have.. the movie was just following the comics a little better than the Raimi films

Jul 10 - 11:15 AM

Ryan McAvoy

Ryan McAvoy

Where's the humor? My friend who knows nothing about Spider-Man was laughing at things Peter said/did all throughout the film. That is an unbiased review right there.

Jul 10 - 11:13 AM

McBeth C.

McBeth Crowe

You know what I hate more than this critic. Sibling-neglecting emotionless people who bitch and moan and already dead.

Jul 10 - 08:37 PM

This comment has been removed.

Jermain Jackson

Jermain Jackson

People like you are pathetic. You don't like the movie, fine, it sucks that you couldn't enjoy it as much as I did but I'm not going to bash you on that. I'm gonna bash you for being a disrespectful fool. How dare you come on here and list your opinion on a movie and then bash others who liked it and say they have a lack of taste in quality movies.

What you and everyone on the planet views as a quality movie is "SUBJECTIVE", it all boils down to personal taste, everyone's is different. No one is exactly the same. Get that through your thick skull.

Jul 12 - 09:45 AM

Daniel S.

Daniel Santiago

I lol every time I see a comment praising this movie. xD

Jul 10 - 08:53 PM

SCazzz

Sean Cassimire

You know what, I'm not sure I agree with RM's reasons for his conclusion but I think "... this Spider-man never rises to anything" is a spot-on summary of the effect of this movie. Here's the thing, the way I see it a reboot should be just that, a fresh start. It should bring something new and/or different to the table. A change in tone, texture of the movie or an addition to the story line. The visuals are better here and there's absolutely no "camp" but a little camp might have been acceptable in a movie where the bad guy is a walking talking 14 foot lizard. To illustrate my point I'll use the successful Batman & Star Trek reboots. Nolan made his Batman series character-driven and removed all the "camp" that Burton employed in his version of the films. Nolan went for the darker brooding feel of the Dark Knight comics and found a way to weave his action into serious dramatic stories about "regular," flawed people and created relatable moral dilemmas for the characters. With Star Trek, Abrams gave us a fresh start to boldly go to new adventures with the characters we all know and love but without limiting us to following the history of the old franchise. These were true reboots. This Spider-man feels a little like a shiny new rehash. The only new thing here is the parents aspect which is inadequately developed here. Calm down fan-boys, the change in love interest is cosmetic and does not enhance the story.

I'm just gonna look at it as, from here, this franchise can only really go up. And I'm really looking forward to the sequels. I think 2.5 stars out of 4 is a fair rating for this movie. It is never bad but it is never very good.

Jul 10 - 10:13 PM

Jermain Jackson

Jermain Jackson

"The only new thing here is the parents aspect which is inadequately developed here."

The tale revolving his Parents has not been fully told yet. The movie obviously hints at something bigger than what we have seen. Its already been confirmed that we will learn more later on. Anyway this was not the only new thing about this movie, while yes it does follow certain aspects from the amazing and ultimate spider-man comics, these things were not in the previous films such as Peter learning to get a grip on his new found abilities and it is not following the history of the previous movie franchise.

Examples why you are wrong:
Cross-Species experimentation(No doubt we haven't seen the last of this)
The truth about his Parents
The mystery behind Norman Osborn and his ailing Health and how he will inevitably become the green Goblin
The Story of Gwen and Peter

You claim this relationship is all cosmetic and doesn't enhance the story. You are wrong. Here's why if you don't know about their Story in the comics.

Green Goblin figures out Peter's identity and kidnaps Stacy and holds her hostage on top of the George Washington and throws her off the bridge. Spider-man catches her leg with his web and pulls her back up thinking he saved her. Unfortunately due to physics, Gwen died because of the sudden stop during a high-speed fall. Never had a hero failed to save someone like that outside of an origin story or lost a loved one so suddenly. Gwen's death to many fans represent the end of the Silver Age of Comics.

It also plays a significant role in Peter's life, its another tragic moment in his life he feels guilty for as his careless attempt at rescuing her was the reason for her death. Her death also brought him and Mary Jane closer together as friends, and eventually as a couple. So you see its not just a cosmetic change.

It is too bad you didn't enjoy the movie.

Jul 12 - 10:43 AM

Johnny Lamont

Johnny Lamont

I laughed plenty of times. I don't know what this Roger Moore is talking about.

Jul 10 - 11:40 PM

Paul Sark

Paul Sark

If You think This Film Is Heartless and has No Humor or Wit or Charm then I have only one thing to say: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOlll

Jul 11 - 01:36 PM

Grady Moree

Grady Moree

I thought it was good a little humor not better some of the other Spider-Man movies he has made that were great but there were some good parts.

Jul 11 - 04:01 PM

Avokado Blooming

Avokado Blooming

i must wayt for it to come into my home town to see it, but i did it online in hd at boorek . co m and it is great movie!!!

Jul 11 - 11:48 PM

Dave Martin

Dave Martin

there is more charm, heart, and humor in this Spider-Man then all the old ones.

Jul 12 - 06:55 PM